Your inner dialog

MoreSuccess

Senior Advisor
Staff member
Do you let your inner dialog serve you rather than hinder you? I think we all talk to ourselves, but do you ask yourself the right questions? Let's say you're thinking about taking on a new project, something you've never tried before. Will your mind be thinking about the different things you could do to succeed, and simply assuming you can succeed? Or will you be thinking of reasons you would fail? I think this inner dialog is the difference between being successful in life. If you take the negative thinking path, it's so easy for your mind to come up with all sorts of reasons you should just give up before you even start. And even if you start, a part of your mind will be lurking there waiting to say "I told you it wouldn't work".

To succeed, you really have to start with full confidence that you can do it, and have the inner dialog and phrasing that will support that. Yes, easier said than done however if you take on projects that aren't extremely difficult again and again, you'll build up the confidence in yourself. Instead of asking yourself "Can I do this?", ask yourself "How can I do this?" Then it's really just a matter of how badly do you want it? Sometimes we feel we will not succeed due to lack of knowledge or skills. However, we need to remind ourselves that the knowledge to do nearly anything is out there somewhere for the taking, often free (e.g. the Internet). There are books, courses, or simply asking someone to show you. Personally I'm bored if I'm not learning something new or taking on some new challenge.

mslianne

I usually talk to myself regarding a lot of things. Sometimes, it's something petty. The situation goes like this, "Wow, I just embarrassed myself." "Yeah, I know, but at least I looked good doing so." :) And other times, it's something huge, like, "Oh no, I'm going to present this thesis in front of real professionals." "Okay, you can do this. Relax. Think with the positive end in mind."

I love talking to myself. I am one of those persons who can never lie to myself. I usually find that talking to myself helps me develop more insight regarding a problem.
Me: I love this person but it's so hard.
A friend would say: It's okay, you'll find another person to be with...
While I would say: It's hard in what aspect? Are you really certain of your feelings?

Of course the situation is variable but most times, this is that I do. :D

iebo

I think my inner dialog is schizophrenic. When I'm doing well, my voice tells me I'm awesome, but when I'm not having a good day, my voice is hard on me. I would like to have a constant positive voice in my head, but I guess its something I have to work on.

Cecil Estrera

Oh I've always talked to myself. You know I find it rather funny sometimes. It's like having no one to talk to at all.
Anyway, I do that just let go of my burden inside. Specially when there is no one to listen. And it helps me to overcome hard feelings.
Most of the time, I trust my inner self when it says that I can. 'Cause it always turn out to be right.
And when I am looking for answers, the inner voice inside me teaches which path I should take and fortunately, I've made the right decision to trust it.

radascars

Advisor Member
I talk to my self too much when I've done something wrong, when I feel guilt and when I regret something. I tend to reflect a lot especially when I don't have someone to talk to.

But when it comes to my plans and decision in life I tend to talk with someone rather than talking to my self as I know its just my point of view. Sometimes I tend to talk to myself when I need to decide immediately it always oppose me from what I am trying to believe in and it turned out helpful for me as I see both ends of what decision I am trying to do.

Sometimes my inner mind also serves as my instinct. :)

francrislee

Talking to myself has been incorporated to my habit already. It serves as a portal for me to release my anger, my happiness or whatever it is that I like to express without hurting other feelings. Most often, I talked to myself with regard what decision to make, as if I'm the prosecutor and the defender as well. With this kind of thinking, I always find myself unbiased to some issues and finally getting the utmost right and uncomplicated decision.

songbird

My inner dialog has caused me all kinds of problems. I find that too often I am either telling my self that I can do something that is way out of my area of expertise, talent or ability, and then when I try do it in reality I fail. My inner voice is very critical of everything that I do. I know, I need to start having better conversations with myself.

bright_light

My inner dialogue serves me well. It gives me better ability to make decisions. Self-talk comes in spontaneously when you are on your way to make an important decision. "Shall I do it or not?" is a common question which just pops out of my mind and give me enough time to think about the action I'm about to take. Inner dialogue prevents me from making impulsive decisions. It gives me the ability to exercise self-control.

easysunrise

I talk to and answer myself, it's cool, I win every argument. But I find it can be bad, if it is negative, I stress myself out big time. I am the only one that can change that inner dialog. I have to tell myself, relax, relax, take a deep breath, and think thru this.

zararina

Coaching Member
I also bored if i will not be learning or doing new things in a very long period of time. Although i could stick on a certain project or activity if i still find it worth my time and efforts. I do talk to myself and ask myself what things to do better or what would be the possible consequences of certain things. It is a matter of taking risk and believing that it is more positive results.

easysunrise

I also find I am happier when I am learning and doing positive things. For me being stagnate is a bad sign, it usually means depression. I love to read, that is one of the first things I do to get going.

Danny Oberron

Wow what a fascinating and fun subject!! I consider my inner dialog as two other individuals which must be cared for and nurtured. I don't let them serve me nor hinder me. We work as a team to solve the daily grind. I respect them and they respect me, but not always :rolleyes:. Occasionally a tough problem or situation occurs which requires an internal debate. My inner child has to be satisfied but can be reasoned with, I give him options and ask what he wants. My inner parent is the voice of reason and I'm the moderator / referee. We know our strengths, limitations and desires and eventually work it out to our mutual satisfaction, and learn from our mistakes.
I'm still hard on myself from time to time and I use this as a warning sign that something needs to be sorted out.

soso

This is a important subject and this dialog is going away when we are focus on what we are doing now in this moment.Eckkart Tolle is telling more abof out this in his book " The power of now"
PS: I've started to read it as well

Sylviane Nuccio

Our inner dialog is very important, indeed. As a matter of fact it can make or break what we are trying to accomplish. It's part of the law of attraction. We attracts what we think about, what we are telling ourselves and what we visualize. All these are part of our inner dialog.

John Sharpe

Its pretty amazing when you realise that you can actually control what you are saying to yourself and the importance of self talk.

I read somewhere that 90% of self talk is negative and so if you don't get control over that process then the end result is likely to be negative

Sylviane Nuccio

Its pretty amazing when you realise that you can actually control what you are saying to yourself and the importance of self talk.

I read somewhere that 90% of self talk is negative and so if you don't get control over that process then the end result is likely to be negative
Yes, that's so true.