Your Children and Video Games

blackcapped

Do you allow your children to play video games? If so, what does he/she play?

I am always asking parents this once I get to know them, because I am personally opposed to video games. I don't think video games are a a healthy hobby for a child. Unless I am traveling frequently, then I highly doubt that I will buy my children video games until they are in high school.

Jessi

Yep, I sure do. We're a gamer family. There are definitely restrictions on how much they can play, what they can play, and when they can play....but I don't think there's anything wrong overall with allowing video games. They can be amazing things.

My kids can play some educational type gams on Sprout Online and things like that. Otherwise, I do not allow them to play video games. We don'[t even have a Wii or anything like that. I thnk a lot of games are too violent or distract kids too much.

BarelyHangingOn

I am going to have to disagree. Studies show that video games can improve literacy skills, problem solving skills as well as hand eye coordination.
Of course you would have to monitor what games kids are playing and the times spent playing them.
Saying I don't let my kids play games before they are too violent is akin to saying I don't let my kids read because there are violent books.
You have to pick and choose your games. We have tons of sports games and quest type games that are geared towards children.

bneil

Playing video games with your children would be a good idea, the fact that you are getting more closer to your children by bonding on games, you could also watch out what type of games he/she enjoy, and can correct mistakes and you could get him away from violence type of games.

hollyholidaze

My daughter is only 4, but I have sat with her and let her play a little game on SproutPBS online. To learn her numbers. But we did it together. Otherwise, I am not sure how I feel about video games. I remember playing a few as a kid, and I got the feeling like it was hard to stop playing, so that was not a positive experience. A family member got us an xBox or something years ago for Christmas, and we gave it away because we didn't want to spend our time getting sucked into the vortex. So neither my hubby or I are gamers, but I will see how things shake down when my kid gets older.

MoreSuccess

Senior Advisor
Staff member
My son is 15 and was playing computer and games since very young. It can become an addiction if you don't set limits on it, for example I don't allow them on weeknights during the school year, as it tempts him to rush his homework or skip studying. Otherwise I like it, it's better than watching TV, which he does zero of. It keeps the mind active in thinking of game strategies, builds reflexes, and for him it's often a social thing where he's playing online and talking to people.

Jessi

My son is 15 and was playing computer and games since very young. It can become an addiction if you don't set limits on it, for example I don't allow them on weeknights during the school year, as it tempts him to rush his homework or skip studying. Otherwise I like it, it's better than watching TV, which he does zero of. It keeps the mind active in thinking of game strategies, builds reflexes, and for him it's often a social thing where he's playing online and talking to people.
I think that's a great way of viewing it. You're right that it's usually better than TV, unless maybe you're watching documentaries or something. And so long as you limit it, then it sets boundaries.

What does he do with his evenings after homework if he doesn't play games or watch TV either one?

MoreSuccess

Senior Advisor
Staff member
I think that's a great way of viewing it. You're right that it's usually better than TV, unless maybe you're watching documentaries or something. And so long as you limit it, then it sets boundaries.

What does he do with his evenings after homework if he doesn't play games or watch TV either one?
Good question. Between after school sports, a nap, and homework, there isn't really that much time leftover. But with that extra time he spends some time on his Facebook account and Youtube. Once in awhile I'll let him play a game if he asks permission. He could watch TV but just isn't interested.

Jessi

Good question. Between after school sports, a nap, and homework, there isn't really that much time leftover. But with that extra time he spends some time on his Facebook account and Youtube. Once in awhile I'll let him play a game if he asks permission. He could watch TV but just isn't interested.
At 15, he's taking naps in the afternoon? I suppose if he's also playing sports, then he might just be extra tired. I don't ever remember getting naps when I was a teenager. Facebook and Youtube make sense as TV replacements for a teen, though.

Dorothy

Yes I let my children play games, mainly on the computer and I don't think there is anything wrong them playing as long as you supervise what they are playing. It is also fun for us to all play together on some of the online games like Family Feud, we love trying to answer the questions and sometimes my two daughters and I will be helping each other and it's so much fun, we are actually spending time together, laughing , learning and just overall a great family experience! There are so many good games they can play that they can learn from and keeps them learning as they play. You just have to choose what they are allowed to play and make it a family thing every now and again. You can even have them play educational games that are just as fun and they teach them at the same time, so many game choices!

live4it

Personally I think there are better and more creative ways to have fun rather than video games. From a financial stand point all that stuff is insanely expensive and I think the money could be spend better on other things like sports equipment or outdoor activities.It's weird, but I refuse to spend 60 dollars on a video game, but I easily have 15,000 dollars in kayaking, biking and camping gear. Allot of people think that video games are the source of child violence, I think it's part of it, but eliminating violent games alone is not the solution. Don't get me wrong, I love playing them, but would never want to own a system. I love simulator games like flight simulator, or sim games. Those I would get, but to use on a computer. In the end, I simply think there are much better things to do than video games. I'll never have a system in my house.

zararina

Coaching Member
I do not have a child yet but I am also not in favor of video games especially at young age. I have seen some video addicts here and they start playing at very young age. Better to teach children how to engage on sports.

Dreek Lass

To the original poster, just out of curiosity; why do you not think that video games are a healthy activity for children. I think that you are wrong there. It just depends on what sort of video game you are allowing your children to play, which determines whether playing the games is healthy and conducive to a good environment for your kids. Some games are ETREMELY therapeutic and calming, and just all out fun. It is almost a form of meditation - is gaming. But if you pick the wrong games then it could be unhealthy, according tot he child's personality. I played a wide variety of games when I was younger, and I loved being able to go off into another world and escape this one for a while. It is extremely healthy to do that.

pafjlh

Well, I also don't have kids, but I do know about the video game craze. To be honest I think there are some games that are educational as well as fun out there, so these would be some that I wouldn't be oppose to any child of mine playing. Also there are some video games such as the one that Wii came out with that require the kid to have some activity while playing such as baseball, so the kid could play but also get exercise at the same time. So once again I would be in favor of them playing such a game. However, there are those video games that I wouldn't let a kid play, and those are the one that are of course rated M, I don't think any parent should let their kids play these sort of games. They are rated M for mature for a reason, yet I know that some kids are allowed to play these games.

Dreek Lass

Well, I also don't have kids, but I do know about the video game craze. To be honest I think there are some games that are educational as well as fun out there, so these would be some that I wouldn't be oppose to any child of mine playing. Also there are some video games such as the one that Wii came out with that require the kid to have some activity while playing such as baseball, so the kid could play but also get exercise at the same time. So once again I would be in favor of them playing such a game. However, there are those video games that I wouldn't let a kid play, and those are the one that are of course rated M, I don't think any parent should let their kids play these sort of games. They are rated M for mature for a reason, yet I know that some kids are allowed to play these games.

I totally forgot about the Wii lol. My three little siblings and one nephew absolutely LOVE playing the Wii. Every time all of the kids are round here, they pester the adults to let them all play the wii. Some of those games, from what I have seen, are very educational and they are also fun at the same time. Studies have shown that when teachers make a lesson fun, then children are more than likely to learn whatever it is that the teacher is trying to teach that day. One of the keys to learning is fun, but many forget that, and just think that hard work will pay off. I am not saying that it wouldn't, but why take the hard way?

So we have established that there are inapt video games and apt ones. It is the parents job to make sure that the right games get to their children, in my opinion.

kai_uk

I played computer games when i was growing up and also had some friends around to play them together. However, back then games were like shooting aliens, playing football, and racing in sports cars. If you see some of the games nowadays, some of what you see is shockingly violent. I would recommend allowing the child to play social games like sports, puzzles, and some moderate action games. Avoid games like Grand theft auto!

MyDigitalpoint

Advisor Member
I believe that playing video games can be healthy as long as parent supervise the titles that children play and set the hours of the day when they can play.

Staying all day playing video games is not really healthy, but it's also bad keep them away from playing because they develop a sense of "trying the forbidden" and will go to play somewhere else when you can't look they can really be at risk because they will then have a distorted perception that can be channelized through unsuitable games.