You can’t just ignore loneliness.

tomasoberg

What about feeling lonely?

You can’t just ignore loneliness. It’s hard coded into your brain.
“Feeling lonely is as painful as being wildly hungry or thirsty. If human brains evolved at a time when social cohesion meant survival, while social isolation meant starvation, predation, and certain death. If our big brains evolved to interact,

loneliness would be an early warning system—a built-in alarm that sent a biological signal to members who had somehow become separated from the group. Like physical pain or hunger, loneliness effectively says, ‘Hey, you! If you don’t find your people (or they don’t find you), you’re a goner’.”
You have to connect deeply with other humans or your brain’s alarm system will go off.

“Loneliness drives up the cortisol and blood pressure levels that damage the internal organs.”

J E Roberson

Senior Advisor
I agree tomasoberg it is important to feel supported by a community, however loneliness is a mental construct being that some feel alone even in populated circumstances.

tomasoberg

Yes I know @J E Roberson , its good point your making.

I can relay to it quite well after my 2 years relationship ended with my girl friend.
I could be in social situations and feel lonely and the only thing that worked then was actually get away from the people and spend time with myself and cry.

What are your thoughts on the subject of spending time alone and loneliness ?
I mean I love spend time alone with myself and do my own stuff, but the way I look at this question is loneliness is seldom a choice. however spend time alone is.

tomasoberg

I highly doubt that's true. Loneliness is a melancholic thing it has little to none to do with survival. Where did you get this information from?

P.s
Sorry if this sounds rude! ;)
Hi, its all right to question stuff, you should !

Okey ? little to none to do with survival ?, could you add some more info on "melancholic thing"?

Read human history and you will notice where I got it from.

tomasoberg

Never thought of that way. Love it.
Thanks
Is there a specific book that mentions the link between survival and loneliness?

What i meant with "'melancholic thing" was that loneliness is an emotional issue not a practical one. And survival is foremost about practical issues like food and shelter not emotional pain.
Specific book ? do you need proof ?

Im referring back to human history, with survival and loneliness.
Lets play with the mind for a bit and imagen everything in human history is true and we use ice age for example. Do you think you would survive better in a smaller group or by yourself?

Okey, I can see how you think.
However I cant agree, here is how I look at it.
Whether you like it or not there is a bond between our emotional health and our practical state and surroundings
The people who can maneuver this is masters of their minds.
What do i mean?

if your life works with you on practical issues, its easier to be happy and have good emotions.
If your life working against you on the practical issues , most people have a harder time to be happy and share love and be "free" of the mind even if they want to.

So I would say there is a direct link between the practical state and the emotion state.
I have found it extremely hard myself from time to time to just "flip" the switch and feel good when your surroundings and everything crashes.

J E Roberson

Senior Advisor
What are your thoughts on the subject of spending time alone and loneliness ?
I think you are correct knowing ourself can be cultivated well when we spend time alone.

As far as loneliness I believe like all human suffering it spawns from the disconnect between what life is currently offering and the imagined scenario the mind is insisting be true at that time.

You mentioned flipping the switch and yes it can be a challenge. It is becoming easier, as we break the limiting belief Maslow spread making humans think they are trapped in the reality of the manifested and can not take control of their own mind until certain things work out.

Erica Faith

Coaching Member
“Loneliness drives up the cortisol and blood pressure levels that damage the internal organs.”
Dying because of a broken heart - a true tragedy.

We're a communal bunch. Lose contact with other people and your mind slowly and inadvertently yearns for companionship more than anything.

A

Andre

I think humans are social animals. From a biological point of view, perhaps loneliness is indeed a hard wired evolutionary emotion as without a tribe your survival was threatened.

Todd Hicks

Senior Advisor
I think humans are social animals. From a biological point of view, perhaps loneliness is indeed a hard wired evolutionary emotion as without a tribe your survival was threatened.
We need others for emotional and mental health support in addition to needing them to help us conquer the dangers to our survival that are out there.

Mrnace

I think loneliness is more connected to self esteem, a loack of confidence or even depression.

The feeling of connectedness with a community, whether its family, work colleagues or other communities is a must.

Being part of a community and being with others gives us some basic needs, a sense of belonging, a feeling a security and most importantly love.

If we didn't feel loved, safe and that we belonged to something then our self esteem would definitely be effected. Maslows Hierachy Of Needs explains it better.