Would You Switch Careers if You Discovered What You Truly Wanted?

michellepinto

But you first need to weigh the pros and cons, see the scope in the long run. How much the switch may cost you etc.

Charles Franklin

Advisor Member
After going through some career changes, I have come to realize that there is no "perfect job". There is only an opportunity and you have to determine if you are willing to take it or not. Once you take that opportunity, some doors will be opened and others will be closed.

To answer your question, I would do a career change if I felt that the opportunity would put me in a better position in the future (better pay, new experience to gain new skills, new people, etc.). I wouldn't just jump ship simply because of a certain title or certain industry.

flad264

I have felt like this numerous times and honestly I know what you are going through. Right now I am a banker and at first I really loved my job and I though pt that it was the best thing that had ever happened to me but as time went on I came to realized that this is not something that I want to do and as you said right now I am realizing what it is that I truly want to do and I am making an effort to leave banking and pursue it.

Ellyn

If I could afford to switch careers, I would.

Come to think of it, in more personal matters I've discovered what I truly...didn't want, and switched tracks without a proper foundation and just hoped that it worked out in the end. It might not have. I did work out, so far, and I'm very fortunate.

On days I'm not enjoying my job, I sometimes remind myself of the many people that can't find a job at all, or lost their original job and working for much less than they used to.
That can be effective in tiding oneself over, but as I was once told: "If you chase the money, you'll be doing that all your life." Unless remembering that you have a place in society and in service to others is truly what shifts your consciousness and whole being into fulfillment... I'd consider slogging through life with the above attitude, with no plan to save up to eventually switch, as rather a waste of a life.

I hope that my life--or even just my career--is not defined by constantly looking down on other unfortunate people, and comparing us like that.

Charles Franklin

Advisor Member
The balance between finding work to survive and finding work that helps you thrive will be an ongoing one because work is a complicated thing! We can all agree that we need to perform some kind of labor in order to meet our daily needs. On the other hand, what we choose to meet out daily needs is a little more complicated. Sometimes, we pick a job because we NEED it to survive. Other times, we pick a job because we DESIRE the ability of a job to coincide with our abilities and talents. Neither one is good or bad. It is what it is.

Sometimes we are lucky enough to find a job that provides what we NEED and what we DESIRE to do in life. In those cases, congratulations! Just be aware that there isn't a job that will be 100% fun 100% of the time.

Our identities are more than what we do or what our title is. Some of the people we remember from history are not known by their occupation, but their achievement outside that occupation.

So no matter what you do, be who you are and love who you are. You have the rest of your lifetime to figure out how work fits into that equation.