why reading?

smile4u

Reading can make us smart.
Reading can open up new world to us and enrich our lives.
Reading can enhance our social skills.
You can benefit a lot from reading; there is no reason for you not to read.
I believe reading is a good way to enhance your self-improvement. Do you often read books?

F

FuzzyMike

You said it exactly what I think about books.
I read book very often I think it can enhance you self - improvement indeed.
What kind of books do you read?

Milton

Yeah I think a lot of information is written in books. To be published, the books have to be of a certain quality, so I could actually obtain reliable information from books than on the Internet (where anyone and everyone can input their opinions without evidence).

Sometimes you can get information on how to increase your self-confidence through several means, which in itself is a form of personal development.

speedy

Advisor Member
I believe reading is a good way to enhance your self-improvement. Do you often read books?
Yes, I love books, I mentioned on my other post that books and libraries are my friend when I was young. I felt like i travel around the world by reading books.

I agree, that through reading we are investing information that we can use in the future especially in dealing with other people outside our comfort zone.

If God's will and He will give me children, I want them to love books and reading. Nobody can steal the things and knowledge that we stored in our mind and lives from reading.

mslianne

I love reading! :) Reading is a vital part in our learning process. It also helps us ward off memory gaps and sluggish thinking. I have loved reading ever since I was a little girl. It makes my imagination better and helps me concentrate more.
I have also read some personality development books. "The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People" is a great one and it helped me prioritize my goals.

angela

I love reading too. I choose books about faith, love and life.

As you said we benefit from reading books, it also give entertainment to readers, and we exercise our brains too.

I will quote here what the book I had read stated about reading books. From "The 100 Simple Secrets of Happy People" by David Niven, Ph.D. :

Reading engages the mind. Reading materials, by exercising our memory and imagination, can contribute to happiness in ways similar to active positive thinking. Regular readers are about 8 percent more likely to express daily satisfaction.
-Scope 1999

speedy

Advisor Member
I love reading too. I choose books about faith, love and life.

As you said we benefit from reading books, it also give entertainment to readers, and we exercise our brains too.

I will quote here what the book I had read stated about reading books. From "The 100 Simple Secrets of Happy People" by David Niven, Ph.D. :
I heard about that book too, re: The 100 Simple Secrets of Happy People" but haven't read it yet. Do yo have a hard copy of that book sis or we can find it online. Maybe , I will try to look for it. Thank you for sharing Sis. Angela

angela

I heard about that book too, re: The 100 Simple Secrets of Happy People" but haven't read it yet. Do yo have a hard copy of that book sis or we can find it online. Maybe , I will try to look for it. Thank you for sharing Sis. Angela
Hi speedy :)! Allow me to call you sis too. I have a soft copy of that book, my friend sent it to me. I will happy to share it with you too. Maybe you can message me and give me your email, so that I can send it to you now.

sepia_majesty

I absolutely love reading. I've been a bookworm since I was a child. I also fancy myself to be a writer, so reading is like "training" for me, much like an athlete. I get exposed to good (and bad) writing and it's a great way to spark ideas and see exactly what works and what doesn't in a story. Reading is a great way to learn about the world, but I really enjoy fiction because I'm so inspired by imaginative writing. Reading is awesome!

clauemi

I love to read just because it relaxes me so much and gets me in a happy mood. The learning is just a nice extra bonus.

Matt

I read a whole lot. I think it is a great way to spend your time. It often takes your brain into another world and it is very relaxing. Like what you said, reading can really help you with your knowledge. In almost every book, you will read something new and learn from it. I especially like this quote that I hear once..."Those who choose not to read have no advantage over those who can't"

radascars

Advisor Member
We should also take note that reading can lead to many causes especially in news media. We should be careful on what we read and always check if has substance or just a falsify article or not. Reading can make us intelligent and make us more knowledgeable in many things. We just need to be responsible for what we read and what we are believing in. :)

zararina

Coaching Member
Yes, I also believe that reading is good and it could help us to develop ourselves. I do not read books often but I do read articles a lot. It is more easier to finish since it is shorter than books. I read almost all kinds or topics. It make me more aware of the latest news and it helps me know more on certain topics. Reading could also make me relax and ease boredom.

A

artistry

I agree, reading is so enriching for the mind. Books are a source of learning, entertainment, encouragement, motivation.
and so many other positive aspects of life. We open a book and we are able to travel to places we may never get to in person. A book is a wonderful thing, and reading is one if the most tangible forms of growth there can be. I read and I collect books, my dad was an avid reader and I guess I inherited my love of books from him. I can remember, when I was a youngster, we would be told to go to bed, the lights were turned out, and I would have a flashlight under the covers, still reading my book. Books are hot! Reading is cool! Cheers.

XoxChrissyxoX

I absolutely love reading. I don't read physical books much anymore because I'm on the computer more often now. I miss the feel of having a physical book in my hand. There's something about the experience that I enjoy more than sitting in front of a computer screen reading. It's easier on the eyes and I can kick back into a comfortable position and read a book.

No matter what you want to learn or what you want to do, a book can help you achieve it. If you want to fix something you can probably find a book that teaches you how to do it. If you want to go somewhere a book can show you how to get there or show you how that place looks. If you want to be someone else for a little while you can read a novel and go through the experiences of the character(s) with them.

I also agree with radascars that you have to be careful when you are reading. Depending on what you are reading, you can be given false information. There are books by politicians in which they try to push their agenda and may state false/incomplete/skewed facts to get their point across. You have to take everything with a grain of salt. Use your own judgment and do your own research as well before you readily believe something that you read otherwise you could be lead astray.

Cecil Estrera

Reading has always been a favorite hobby for me since I was young. I like to read just everything that can be read -- may it be books, tabloids, magazines, or the yellow pages. I really believe that it is the best source of knowledge and I love the fact that I am learning something new everytime I read something.

AmazingP

Advisor Member
I love reading. Ever since I was in my elementary days, I always love books. And back in those days when books were only available in print, the sight of any reading materials can always delight me. These days, we already have e-books and we have the internet as the broadest source of information. The world has already changed as am now relying on the internet for news and information I need. The only problem is that we can be subjected to information overload and that mix of lies and truth populating the net. Oh well...but still reading is very vital in today's world where information has always a corresponding monetary value.

LadyJane

I, too, love to read. I can't imagine a world without books. I am grateful for the people who are able to buckle down enough to write.

I don't read books online. I have to have a book in my hand that I can take with me wherever I want to go. I especially love to read in bed.

The only thing I don't like about reading is that I can't read several books all at the exact same moment! I have many books piled up next to my bed that I am reading, and it bugs me that I can only read one at a time.

Mark

I have always loved reading! Although as I got older I started to read less and to just waste time in front of the TV. Recently I decided to turn off the TV and to turn my brain back on by reading books that can teach me something! I am currently reading Brian Tracy's book No Excuses! I know it may sound a little weird but since I stopped watching so much TV I feel like I am thinking more clearly.

P

Positive_Abe

I believe reading is a good way to enhance your self-improvement.
I totally agree with that. Thanks to the several books I've read in the past 3 1/2 years, it has contributed greatly to my personal development. They have helped me through the tough situations that I've experienced. It has helped my mindset be stronger and stay positive, and even though it took me over 3 1/2 years to reach a state of mental strength and relaxation, and be consistency positive under any circumstance, without personal development books I wouldn't be the person I am now. I am very proud of who I am today and look forward to how I will be in the next 5 and 10+ years. :)

Positive Abe