Why is being happy hard?

Derek

is being happy hard because I keep thinking thats hard so I keep chaining my self in my mind? im trying to be
a more happy person like doing the things I love I am 21 years old so I still have a hole life to learn from is there anything you guys think I can do to feel better?

Todd Hicks

Senior Advisor
It can be difficult to stay happy because of the tests and problems that come our way but it's up to us to pass the tests, overcome the problems, remind ourselves of what's right in our lives then have lasting happiness.

RodaTL

Advisor Member
Most people struggle with happiness because they don't know what makes them happy in the first place. It's very hard to explain when you are 21, simply because of need for more life experience. I have dealt with many terminally ill people and that has helped me determine what really means happiness to me. There are many ways to be happy on a more consistent basis. The older you get, the more responsibilities you will have and then it becomes vital to find your way through the emotional mess. It all depends on how you react to a particular problem.
An easier way to determine what makes you happy is to first find out what makes you really unhappy in your life and start there. We are wired by default to focus more on negative experiences as a form of self-preservation. In a modern society, that wired instinct is less helpful. What is impeding you from feeling happy with yourself and about yourself? Is it something you can modify or something you need to abandon completely? Are the things you are doing that you say you love, really fulfilling or is there something missing? The important part is to develop the ability to ask yourself honest questions and give honest answers. Try not to invent a question that doesn't address your issue, just to avoid the real issue. I wasted time that way for years, so don't make that mistake. It is a bad way to waste your time. I fully recognize it is challenging from where you stand.
I am 40 years old. At 32, I got familiar with the feeling of urgency. I wasn't 20 anymore, so I felt there wasn't much time left for me to not approach myself honestly about my profession, relationships, values. or the activities I wanted to pursue.
You can start from the missing link in your life. What is it? What do you want for yourself? What things or which personal qualities or skills? Then learn of ways to get what you want, hire coaches, take classes, read, talk to like-minded people. Create yourself.