Who Here Procrastinates A Lot?

mslianne

I'm sure all of you are very familiar with the term procrastination. :) Simply put, it means putting off important tasks to a later time instead of doing it straight up, so we tend to do idle things first before accomplishing the activities which are supposed to be prioritized.

I was taught that it was used mainly to deal with situations which are anxiety-inducing. I admit that I do procrastinate a lot but it's up to some normal degree still. :p The problem here happens whenever we procrastinate to the point of not being able to accomplish the important tasks which can result to feelings of guilt and more anxiety.

Who here procrastinates? Anyone who would like to share is welcome!

speedy

Advisor Member
I am also a victim of procrastination and setting things aside which is more important. That's why my husband wants me to have a to do list and mark the things that we need to prioritize the next day. I guess, it does happen because we didn't expect what will happen next and some of the important things are kept interrupted.

mslianne

I am also a victim of procrastination and setting things aside which is more important. That's why my husband wants me to have a to do list and mark the things that we need to prioritize the next day. I guess, it does happen because we didn't expect what will happen next and some of the important things are kept interrupted.
I totally get what you mean, Sis! :)
I tend to write things down and organize a lot. It makes me feel accomplished whenever I get the chance to check off the things that I was able to do.

iebo

I am guilty of procrastination. I get into a groove of whatever I'm doing and I'm not able to easily switch to something else, so other things don't get done. Then I eventually forget about it and end up doing it at the last possible moment. I also put off things I don't enjoy doing, like housework, sometimes to the point where I'm embarrassed at the state of my home.

mslianne

I am guilty of procrastination. I get into a groove of whatever I'm doing and I'm not able to easily switch to something else, so other things don't get done. Then I eventually forget about it and end up doing it at the last possible moment. I also put off things I don't enjoy doing, like housework, sometimes to the point where I'm embarrassed at the state of my home.
I totally get you. Procrastination is really hard to shake off, right?
I usually do it at the last moment, too. Sure, I still manage to make it a decent one, but it costs me my sleep so it's not really advisable.
Thanks so much for sharing! :)

moneymakingmom

Coaching Member
My procrastination is based off fear of making the wrong decision, especially over money matters.

And, there's good reason to fear misspending the family's money especially since there is not
a lot of it to go around. Many times, I weigh the pros and cons of a situation exhaustively before
arriving at a decision. Often, this process can take years. So in a way, I am procrastinating
but it is for a good reason, simply not wanting to make the wrong decision.

beingwell

I think most of us are guilty of this pleasure!hihihih... However, I try not to fall into this trap ever so often. The way to deal with procrastination is by setting up goals and deadlines. Therefore, we know when we're supposed to work and when we're supposed to have fun.

MoreSuccess

Senior Advisor
Staff member
This is certainly one of my big weaknesses... For things I don't want to do, I'll usually get them done but I'll put them off as long as possible. If it's really important I'll make a note to myself or put it on the calendar, not doing something like that will surely cause you to be less successful. At least I don't like just vegetating in front of the TV and stuff, clearly all of you here keep you mind active by participating in forums.

Contemptus

I tend to procrastinate a lot, especially when I'm dealing with things or issues that I deem unimportant (although it may well be a priority for others). It's a big problem of mine, and I often end up missing deadlines or leaving things undone because of my tendency to procrastinate. Thankfully I will usually overcome procrastination before something like an important examination, but the downside is that I will almost certainly regress to my previous state soon after.

XoxChrissyxoX

I am also guilty of this. I did this a lot in college when it came to papers. I would start writing them two days before they are due, and sometimes the day before. I always ended up getting A's during the last 3 years of college, but I always felt guilty that it could have been a better paper if I had just given myself more time.

It was so bad sometimes that I would pull all-nighters in order to get a paper done, and then still have to face a full day of classes with no sleep, or I would finish the paper right before I had to leave to go to class. Once I had to do a presentation with no sleep... (well, more than once). I've stayed up for two days straight once because I had so much work (reading) to do and a few papers due at the same time, and it probably wouldn't have been so bad if I had started some of the work earlier. There was an insane amount of reading for me to do though because I was taking around 5 or 6 English classes that all required over 50-100 pages of reading. I always managed to come out okay and get A grades though (at least towards the end of my college experience). In the beginning (first year) I got a lot of B's, but I blame that on the fact that I was new to college and was still improving my writing skills. Towards the end of college I started to push myself to get my assignments done earlier, and it was so much less stressful than when I procrastinated.

Sometimes I find myself doing unimportant things when I should be focusing on more important things. Sometimes I should be working on my website so that I can get as much new content on there as possible, but I would find myself watching movies on Netflix, or hanging out with my cousin and boyfriend. I decided that I would stay home today in order to clean my room and get some clothes washed, yet I find myself on here writing posts. I think I'll go do that now lol.

psych0s0c1al

Yes, very guilty of it. So many of my school projects were done the day before they were due. I almost put this post off til later because I didn't feel like posting right now.

moon

Procrastination is one of my problems today. I have also "distractions" on that mix and it is really making my work environment worse.

kimbelymariex

procrastinate a lot! Lol. I always had this problem back in High School. I remember when I had school projects that wouldn’t be due for a month and I do them two days before the due date. Lol. I attend college as of now and I still procrastinate. I just never feel like getting anything done on time unless it’s super important. I know if I started earlier on projects I would receive a better grade. Instead of receiving C’s. I am not saying by all means all the time I receive C’s on all my projects but I can do better than that. Then I always get angry. I know it’s my fault but I still manage to wait till the last minute. Lol. I’m sure one day I will learn. :)

Besides school work I have being a regime to get my hair growing faster and keeping it healthy. I started this about a few months ago and I have noticed a difference in my hair. Which by all means is awesome!!!! :p
But these past few weeks I haven’t kept up with my hair like I was. I need to stop the procrastination. Lol. This evening I plan on getting back on schedule with my hair. I did all the work trying to get my hair healthy and I don’t want the first few months all of that work going to waste. I believe everyone procrastinates every once in awhile but it happens.

radascars

Advisor Member
You'll do whatever you have to. What doesn't get done, doesn't get done. You're alive, you're kind. Just do what you can, when you can, and don't beat yourself up about it. Sleep. Read. Walk. Enjoy what you're doing, living in the moment. You'll either miss the deadline or you won't. Doesn't matter. God loves you either way.

apple

I procrastinate too as a means of escape. Sometimes, my responsibilities feel like they're so much and I just don't want to deal with them yet.

radascars

Advisor Member
I procrastinate too as a means of escape. Sometimes, my responsibilities feel like they're so much and I just don't want to deal with them yet.
What did you do when meeting some deadlines when you procrastinate? Its really hard to have too much responsibilities at work or at home. :(

tired

I can't procrastinate! Too much of a worrier. Always afraid it won't get done - always making lists. Like to get whatever it is out of the way and move on to the next thing because there is always something waiting.

Cecil Estrera

Well as much as possible, I do things at the time they have to be done, as in instantly, so I would be comfortable in the hours ahead that I can relax and use the computer.
I certainly can't stand the thought that I have to do so much things and I just left them hanging at that.
I do believe in the saying: "Don't do things tomorrow if you can do it now."

AmazingP

Advisor Member
I am also a great procrastinator which eventually affected my career and financial standing. Sometimes I scold myself because there were so many times that I just let good opportunities to slip by because I was so afraid of the things that will be if i grabbed those chances. The fear of making a mistake lead me to non-decision. I now realized that making a mistake is much better than not to make any decision at all. With mistakes we can learn a thing or two and we can build success out of those lessons learned.

If there is a major enemy of being successful either personal, financial or both, it must be procrastination. It effectively holds us back to the bright future that should have been waiting for us if we are bold and brave enough to face this monster. Right goal setting, energizing vision and a burning dream could help us defeat this black-eyed freak.

Topsecret

I am not really a procrastinator but my husband is! I will tell you now it drives me up the wall! When I want to get something done and I believe that it is important, I want it done right away. I think it is alright to procrastinate every once in awhile. It might even be down right healthy! (who knows.. lol) I just think some things you just cannot procrastinate on.