When your ideas are not encouraged, what to do?

sridharcw

I have had this personal experience and also found some people around me sharing similar experience.
Its about having a new idea/project or initiative which you discovered and also put a lot of work in to it. However, when it gets public the people who matter to you (family, friends, etc) turn down or dont really care about your idea and in worst cases talk negative about it.
I know ignoring them or their view is one think I need to do, but imagine when you are in the same household or living with the same people, working with them, etc. How do you deal with the relationship aspect which can get affected too?

I have had this personal experience and also found some people around me sharing similar experience.
Its about having a new idea/project or initiative which you discovered and also put a lot of work in to it. However, when it gets public the people who matter to you (family, friends, etc) turn down or dont really care about your idea and in worst cases talk negative about it.
I know ignoring them or their view is one think I need to do, but imagine when you are in the same household or living with the same people, working with them, etc. How do you deal with the relationship aspect which can get affected too?
This is a super tough situation to navigate. Do your ideas require their buy in or time? It's difficult to recruit people into our initiatives if they don't see the long-term vision. What's in it for them? Do you need their help or buy in to help move your idea forward? If so, it's important they see how it will benefit them in the long run.

If it's not their help you need, but just their emotional support, that could be more challenging. You shouldn't let someone who has given up on their dreams to talk you into giving up on yours. Many people who have tried and failed struggle to support others trying their own thing. It's tough to tune out negative feedback. I recommend getting in touch with your "why". Connect with "why" you want to pursue this new idea. Visualize what life will be like when you achieve success and allow that to fuel your motivation.

Keep your head up, and if you want to chat, connect with me on my blog, www. dailynewyears .com/contact.

I'd love to chat with you on a more personal level, if you're up for it.

denydritz

Coaching Member
The people who matter are the ones who will benefit from your idea, e.g your customers and stakeholders.

The people near you aren't the same as the people who matter. There is a difference.

The brain can trick us into believing that the people near us (friends, relatives, co-workers) are the ones that matter, but in the context of an idea (that is often best executed through a business), the important people might be far (we don't know them yet, or physically far).

If the people near you aren't your prospective customers, then their opinions hold almost no weight. The people you ought to listen to are the ones that have "skin in the game", whether they invest in your idea or they buy your product.

DayProv

Advisor Member
Hey @sridharcw,

there are 2 types of people who appear to be unsupportive to you:
  1. People who love you and don´t want you to fail.
  2. People who envy you and want to drag you down.
The key is to determine what kind of people you´re dealing with. This determination is so important because many people advice is just to get rid of negative people. And, sometimes it´s simply not possible.

So, if it´s important to you, you´ll keep working on it no matter what, but to make it easier for you:
  1. Try to spend more time with like-minded people.
  2. Eliminate the chances of people (who wants the best for you) discouraging you.
  3. Just get rid of people who want to drag you down.
If you want deeper information about it, I wrote whole article about this topic, you can find it here.

Brett Slater

I know it seems like a hard decision, it's not really, do you know what you want? if the answer is YES then you need to make it, they are making it easier for you. If you love them it's even easier. I saw a comment above nailed it on the head by DavPov.
  1. People who love you and don´t want you to fail.
  2. People who envy you and want to drag you down.
I wish we had better montoirs when I was younger it is much easier these days to find help and point you in the right direction. It is meant to be painful THIS IS LIFE any successful person will tell you how much pain they went through to get where they wanted to go.
I can't remember where the quote came from, (diamonds are made from pressure)
There is a reason why there are only a few at the top of sports, finance, love, happiness and health it because most people don't want to go through the pain to get it.
Can you do it?
Have you read the book by Robert Kiyosaki. Here is an article I wrote about the book, I know it is not perfect I'm dyslexic failed school and left when I was 16th, I knew there was something to life and happiness so I just went and did it. brettslater.net/the-cashflow-quadrant/
It's your turn? good luck, don't give up!

Last edited by a moderator:

Dorothy Anne

You and many others face this situation when trying something out of the box, and this is common for especially creative people who go beyond the norm and pave a path of their own. I can relate, because this past year I quit my day job and despite all my fears (and the fears and doubt of my closest loved ones minus one exception) I continue to push on.

Instead of ignoring their views, why don't you take this time to reflect inward, particularly at your REACTION to their doubts. In taking the time to self reflect, you realize that these doubts that are expressed by your friends and family are actually doubts of your own. This is why the relationship seems so affected by them. The people in our lives are essentially our mirrors, so when we experience internal doubt/fear, the people closest to us will of course reflect this back on us.

Inner worlds, outer worlds.

When you realize this, you know that there is no relationship issue. Only the internal doubts/fears you have. Which are yours and yours alone to deal with if you want to successfully pursue your new brilliant ideas. The relationship "issues" are merely a distraction for your ego to get caught up in. But don't fall for this simple trap. You must first FACE YOUR OWN FEAR. Once you do this, and I mean REALLY do this, the fears of others will not affect you in the slightest.

I wish you all the best in your endevours!

Namaste,
D.