When you meet someone new. <Question>

Frode

Coaching Member
Hello!

I was just wondering what your thoughts are on this: How would you react if someone new you meet is able to tell you what your name means, and maybe some other facts about it, when you do the greeting?

Would you think he/she's weird, funny, intelligent or something else?

I'm excited to hear what you have to say on this! :)

MoreSuccess

Senior Advisor
Staff member
I suppose it would be an interesting way to start a conversation with someone, kind of an ice breaker. At least for a few minutes but then I think people would want to move on to a different topic.

Frode

Coaching Member
I suppose it would be an interesting way to start a conversation with someone, kind of an ice breaker. At least for a few minutes but then I think people would want to move on to a different topic.
Yes, I totally agree on that. Thanks for your reply :)

J E Roberson

Senior Advisor
I think if I said "Hi, Im Jason" and someone said "Oh Jason that means …." it would be very interesting if I thought it applied to me personally. Especially if they had the information recalled by memory. I'd rather only hear positive things from a stranger.
My label would be weird, intriguing and powerful.

Frode

Coaching Member
I think if I said "Hi, Im Jason" and someone said "Oh Jason that means …." it would be very interesting if I thought it applied to me personally. Especially if they had the information recalled by memory. I'd rather only hear positive things from a stranger.
My label would be weird, intriguing and powerful.
That is very close to what I was thinking when the idea popped into my head, about how it may feel good, because it's a bit more personal than the standard greeting. Thanks for your viewpoint!

Nas

It right it can be seemed weird if we have used to be distant.
To start I have learned to welcome events like it comes and to accept to take or not. With a time I changed and I will know how to welcome that; moreover I have used to travel and It's more simple ;-)

A

AAckroyd

Hello!

I was just wondering what your thoughts are on this: How would you react if someone new you meet is able to tell you what your name means, and maybe some other facts about it, when you do the greeting?

Would you think he/she's weird, funny, intelligent or something else?

I'm excited to hear what you have to say on this! :)
You didn't really explain the nature of the person's name analysis system. Names do have genuine meanings, if you delve back into the depths of history to find out what they originally meant. So If that's what the person was doing, great; it's just a way of making conversation. However, if you meant that she was professing to be able to analyze your personality and character based on your name and its supposed 'numerological' properties, that could also be okay as a means of making convo, but if this person bases her belief system on pseudoscience and superstition, you might want to proceed with caution. At the end of the day, I would have to meet the person and converse with them to form my gut feeling about them. You probably have your own gut feelings. Good luck, anyway!

Last edited by a moderator: