When times are tough, Do you expect the best or the worst?

Dorothy

When times are really rough or doubtful, I always tend to lean more to expecting the best. I work toward making it happen and keeping my positive attitude always seems to bring me through. I always try to expect the best and work at that instead of just expecting the worst and just giving up as if to say , "what's the point". I rather think in terms of "this is a challenge I intend to win" another words not giving up but giving my all, and even if I don't hit my goal, at least I would of tried and made things better then what they were by putting forth my best. Positive thinking to me is the best frame of mind to have regardless of the situation.

What do you think?

marlinealcott

It depends on what it is. I wish I could say I was like you, but after 10 years of health problems, for example, it becomes difficult for me to have a lot of hope for the future. Sometimes it feels like having hope and expecting good things will only let you down, and no one wants to be disappointed over and over.

pafjlh

I do like your out look on things. However, this can be easier said then done for some of us. I have to admit that in tough times I haven't always looked at it in a positive way. I have thought could things get any worse. Yes, I know that with a positive out look odds are things will start to improve, or you will start to see them improve faster. But this isn't always the easiest thing to do.

Sophia G

I wish I could be more like Dorothy too. I think I've just experienced too many situations where things did get worse and I was so disappointed. I did just write myself a reminder to be more positive. Hopefully, it will help!

buroo

When times are not that inspiring or even worse I don't expect anything good happening that soon to be very honest but I don't give up being positive. From my past bad and learning experiences I've realized that if you give up on being positive and become negative rather then the bad situation will get more hold of you that it should. So I try to stay positive using all the strategies I know and could put to use and keep working through the sticky situation. The benefit of it that I received is not that the situation turned favourable one fine day but it didn't wear me down as it did in the past when I did have a negative approach.

live4it

Lately it seems to expect the worse. I like to think that the bad times are here to make the good times, that much better, but sometimes it hard to imagine the good times will ever get here.

delboy491

Advisor Member
I believe that it is up to the individual to decide how bad they think their life is or how good,we are all capable of choosing which way to go positive or negative.
but I do appreciate that some people lives,for example health wise it is very difficult to be positive.
Positivity can be a choice for most people though but it's down to a mental ATTITUDE that you can overcome the worst situations in your life.
A will that can never be broken.
I am a firm believer in what you think and feel with emotion can have a positive effect on your life BUT it is up to the individual to implement it.
What I'm trying to say is if you can get your mind to think positive even for a short time see what small effect that might have in your life today.
One final thought : I watched a program on TV last Sunday,there was a man who was very fit had a stroke but did he give up and lie down
not a chance,with his WILL and DETERMINATION never to let this affect him and within weeks he was making such a remarkable recovery that
he astounded doctors that said could be in a wheelchair for a long time and today he goes out and rides his racing bike....
I cannot tell you how much this man has inspired me and I hope you find the story inspiring as well...;)

kai_uk

That is a great philosophy to live by but not always easy to do. When things go downhill it is very easy to slip into a defeatist attitude and start hitting the bottle. Positive thinking is a must in order to at least try to get things back on track. Staying focused and grounded is also the key. It is not easy to think straight when life around you is spiralling downwards, and one can therefore make bad decisions. Positive thinking and a cool attitude will help things get back to normal.

MyDigitalpoint

Advisor Member
I love the positive attitude and philosophy that you all embrace, while I think with a shadow of sadness that I used to be the same way that you are, trying to see the positive in the negativeness of tough times, but suddenly I started to face only bad things coming my way that nowadays makes really hard for me expect the best when something inside of me is always waiting for the worst to come.

I know I can fight this feeling and take back my former positive attitude, but this will not be an easy task.

mickey4533

Positive attitude is awesome but it's really difficult to maintain it. It's difficult to convince yourself to not expect the worst.

Joshua McNeil

I believe this is one of the greatest assets we can perfect. With that positive attitude comes with it that positive vibration, hope and faith. And with these anything is possible!!!!!!

Like you Dorothy, I always like to see the best of any given situation and see it as a blessing in disguise. Every experience is truly that, to shed away layers that no longer fit and to get to the core of what is happening so that you can get to a better place. If things aren't working, there's always a way to make it better. (This seems very timely as I wrote about this in Today's Newsletter sent to my list)

Phil Moufarrege

Advisor Member
When times are really rough or doubtful, I always tend to lean more to expecting the best. I work toward making it happen and keeping my positive attitude always seems to bring me through. I always try to expect the best and work at that instead of just expecting the worst and just giving up as if to say , "what's the point". I rather think in terms of "this is a challenge I intend to win" another words not giving up but giving my all, and even if I don't hit my goal, at least I would of tried and made things better then what they were by putting forth my best. Positive thinking to me is the best frame of mind to have regardless of the situation.

What do you think?
I feel the same. I always "brainwash" myself into believing everything is going to work out. I meditate on it at night when I am feeling uneasy about a situation. I aim to get rid of that feeling of uneasiness as soon as possible. I used this approach to get out of poverty into where I am now of earning my income doing what I love. I used to repeat to myself " It's going to be okay, everything will work out, I have plenty of money and will get the money to pay this bill. I am protected and I KNOW everything will be GREAT!!!!" I would just keep going thruogh it and sure enough the next day I would feel in my body that the problem is gone. A few days later something would happen, and the money would turn up that I needed to get through the situation.

Another thing though that I learned was that these situations wuold just keep turning up until I had LEARNED THE LESSON. There is a lesson in everything I feel, and if you don't learn waht that lesson is, the same problem will rear it's ugly head every time!!

I used to pray that there would be a time when I wouldn't dread looking in my letter box. Something would always come up every week to stab me in the gut so to speak. I can say now that I NEVER have these things now. I learn my lessons so quickly now that any sort of problem that comes up is destroyed before it gets too big.

Like someone above said, being disappointing continuously is a tempting rationale to not give my best in those times. I think you can keep working at something while keeping your expectations or focus on that situation at bay. There are times where I feel physically and emotionally strained by hanging onto a desire in my consciousness while it's not showing signs of success. So, I try to automate my efforts with respect to that goal- not give up..but separate my heart from the situation. The downside of that is you can lose your passion as you try to juggle the to do lists..and, you can lose the inspiration that fueled your dream. It's a delicate balance (switching from focus to letting go), but at this very moment, I find it more relieving to let go of that attachment/hope and just be in another space when I feel overwhelmed by the blocks that don't move.

Like you Dorothy, I always like to see the best of any given situation and see it as a blessing in disguise. Every experience is truly that, to shed away layers that no longer fit and to get to the core of what is happening so that you can get to a better place. If things aren't working, there's always a way to make it better. (This seems very timely as I wrote about this in Today's Newsletter sent to my list)
I used to do this a lot. And, I think, it would be very useful to start it again. Personally, I've experienced the need to limit my using it, though. When I'm constantly pushing new views of reality on myself, it tends to leave that residue of "nothing needs to be confronted." Sometimes, I need to acknowledge exactly why something is a problem in my life to understand and see where changes need to be made. Re-framing the situation can, sometimes, run counter to that..Once again, that whole finding a balance/ understanding the proper context for certain strategies comes into play.

On the other hand, if you re-frame the situation in a way which involves taking new actions that will create change, and you can actually retain the motivation to change once you've created that peaceful after effect, then all this would be a mute point..so long as that problem was seen and acted upon where needed.

Steven Wilson

When time are hard, times are hard there's nothing I can do about it, but I can do is look forward and don't take it personal because if I do that it will destroy me.

Aree Wongwanlee

Advisor Member
One good thing about hitting rock bottom is that there is nowhere left to go except up. Any change can only be for the better. This is something which I have found to be true, again and again. Sometimes, though, when you hit rock bottom, the way out is not upwards but sideways. Like it's time to start in a new direction. I always believe that behind every adversity there lies another opportunity. When one door slams shut in your face, you can be sure there is another door opening for you.

Joyce W

It's good to always try to expect the best and stay positive in any tough situation. Giving up or keeping a negative attitude towards something will definitely not help. Of course there will be times in our lives when things seem hopeless and too tough to handle, but there's nowhere else to move but forward. With the right mindset, you can get through anything.

Todd Hicks

Senior Advisor

What do you think?
I agree.

Developonlinesuccess

Coaching Member
I wish I could be more like Dorothy too. I think I've just experienced too many situations where things did get worse and I was so disappointed. I did just write myself a reminder to be more positive. Hopefully, it will help!
There are some great posts on here, and some sad ones I just feel I want to lift the spirits of the sad ones - View things as thought it's a sunny day and it will feel like it, smile you can''t be miserable and smile at the same time.

We have all had difficult times, but try and view them as thought there is a way out, and you probably will find a solution. Those will ill health, try and find something to enjoy, like a sunset, a warm fire, there must be something you are happy about dwell on those.

Best Wishes for a better year