What's the hardest part of being a parent?

Cecil Estrera

Even parenting has its own ups and downs. And I am curious as to what other parents here think is the hardest part when it comes to parenting.

I personally think at this early stage of parenting to my kids, seeing them suffer from sickness is really heart-breaking. I think it is hard because sometimes, we cannot do anything to ease the pain and if only we could transfer the pain to our own bodies, we would definitely do such thing. I know that there are still many things in store for me and my kids so I think I would encounter more difficult situations as they grow older.

What do you think? ;)

fancyfingers

The hardest part for me, is to let them try and learn from their mistakes. As parents, we want to guard our children from pain, but if we do not let them try things and learn when things do not work out, we, in the end, are doing a major disservice to our children.

clauemi

The hardest for me is thinking about the future. I like to have my kids here with me where I can keep them safe and not have to worry about them. I dread the day that my daughter will have to start school and I probably will worry that whole day until I see her again. I worry about when my kids become teenagers and learn about sex and drugs and so many other things that could hurt them. The fact that I'm a single parent just makes things harder.

Cecil Estrera

The hardest for me is thinking about the future. I like to have my kids here with me where I can keep them safe and not have to worry about them. I dread the day that my daughter will have to start school and I probably will worry that whole day until I see her again. I worry about when my kids become teenagers and learn about sex and drugs and so many other things that could hurt them. The fact that I'm a single parent just makes things harder.
I also worry about the second thing you posted. I can see nowadays how the world has changed and it is really alarming as to how much more change would take place when my kids reach their puberty. I believe that is the time that we have to be more open and cautious about our kids to see if they are doing everything properly.

Yolanda

I think the hardest thing for me is letting go. And I mean this is in the widest possible meaning of the word.
Letting as in: not helping them when they are having a hard time with something because they need a chance to learn, but also letting go when they grow older and they don't need you for everything anymore. I'm a person who doesn't like chances in his or her personal life so that could possibly upset me.

amy005

I agree that seeing your kids suffer from illness at a young age is hard :( It breaks my heart to even see my 3 month old cough. I wish I could make it stop and I feel bad that there is nothing I can really do. Right now the only other thing that I consider to be hardest is when my son cries and I just cannot seem to figure out why. I know he does not have Colic because the symptoms are not there. I wish he could tell me what is wrong so I can make sure all his needs are filled. But sometimes you just have to keep trying things until he finally stops.

mhikylah fox

That’s the hardest part of being a parent really, seeing your offspring in pain wishing it’s you who are on the situation. Another hard part on parenting is loosing to take your children out of the darkness of life and guiding them on the right path. It’s the reality of life.

AmazingP

Advisor Member
Well, to me the hardest is seeing them get hurt but sometimes you should never intervene so that they can learn the necessary lessons in life. It is a big mistake to shield them from pain because by doing so we are setting a trap and that trap ca be a big disadvantage for them. :D

zoeysmama2011

The hardest thing for me as a parent, is not always having the money or resources to give my daughter the best things in life. My daughter never wants for anything, but when I saw myself being a parent, I always thought my child would have better if not the best. I have so many hopes for my daughter; I constantly worry if I will be able to provide her with the life she truly deserves.

Dorothy

THere are so many different things you go through as a parent no matter how old they are, once a parent always a parent. For me the hardest thing I think was letting them go to make their own life when they are grown up. I have eleven kids, ages 37,35,34,31,29,28,27,25,21,16,and 6 years old. So as you can see I've been through all the stages,haha, and it doesn't get any easier, it is still hard to let each one go. I now only have two at home, two girls, I have a total of 7 girls and 4 sons not to mention going on 27 grandkids and I love it. But yes the hardest part is having to let them leave home. As far as them being sick or going through stuff it still bothers me even though they are grown and some of them with their own kids grown, it is still hard to not be able to do anything to make things right for them or what have you, especially when you have tried to make everything better for them since the day you gave birth and before.... you never stop being a parent.

Jessi

I have eleven kids, ages 37,35,34,31,29,28,27,25,21,16,and 6 years old. So as you can see I've been through all the stages,haha, and it doesn't get any easier, it is still hard to let each one go. I now only have two at home, two girls, I have a total of 7 girls and 4 sons not to mention going on 27 grandkids and I love it.
Oh wow, Dorothy, that is incredible. Was the youngest a surprise? How about the 16 year old? It seems like your kids were relatively close together and then a big gap, so I'm simply curious. :) It's amazing that you have that many and are still trucking along. <3

Dorothy

Oh wow, Dorothy, that is incredible. Was the youngest a surprise? How about the 16 year old? It seems like your kids were relatively close together and then a big gap, so I'm simply curious. :) It's amazing that you have that many and are still trucking along. <3
Wow, where do I start, I guess you could say when I had my 9th child I thought well thats it I'm done, but then as time went on I decided I wanted another child and so at the age of 37 I became pregnant again gave birth to my 16 year old daughter at the age of 38. Now I'm done I told myself but no, I decided I wanted another child before I couldn't have anymore so at the age of 46 I tried to get pregnant and I did but i lost my baby at about 6 weeks along in the pregnancy, very sad I didn't think I would ever stop crying and being sad, but I did. Then I ended up leaving my husband for other reasons and found out about 4 weeks after leaving him that I was pregnant! I thought it wasn't true because I thought I was just going through menopause, I had the pregnancy test done about three times ,:confused: I just didn't believe I was pregnant I was 47 and thought not possible, well I was and once I accepted you are having a baby and not menopause, I was really happy, and scared because I had lost a baby about a year before this. So I at the age of 48 I gave birth to my 6 year old daughter, granted she was a surprise but a very good surprise,and if you're wondering no I didn't go back to my husband.:) Yes it was a crazy time, I didn't think I would have anymore kids because I didn't think I would be able to cause I was getting older, but I thank God everyday that I was able to! I love all of my kids so much and would not change anything!! :) Now here I am with 26 grandkids and a 27th due in april 2013. I am a single mother and I'm happy with my life! I think it is amazing myself I never would of thought I would still be having kids after 35 for that matter! But no regrets.

rose banks

seeing my kids sick is the hardest of all, i agree to you. You never wanted them to be sick we always do our best to keep them healthy. We never wanted them to suffer.

daisyhongjuly

Right now I have a 3- & 4-year old son & daughter. So for me, the hardest thing about being a parent is constantly having to be "on" for my kids and keep them happy and entertained. It has been an adjustment to have limited "adult" conversations and sometimes that gets a little lonely. But I think I am doing a good job for them so it is worth it. Plus they are funny and exceptional people who constantly make me laugh.

DefineYourSpirit

I think the hardest thing about parenting is totally changing our habits to fulfill the role model we want to be for our children. Our 4 year old has never watched tv, seen a movie or played with a computer/ipad. We don't have a tv in our home and when we are at the grandparents, they turn the tv off. This has been really hard, but we once got some feedback. There is an ice cream parlor with a bar where you can sit and watch/talk to the 'soda jerks' that work there. One woman told us that she is amazed at the type of conversations and the attention span that our son has. She said, "believe me, I see a lot of children, he's different." I attribute this to our no media lifestyle. He isn't trained to be entertained. Anyway, this was a difficult transition for my partner Joseph and I. We grew-up watching tv, but after a few months, we didn't even miss it.

MattyD

Great conversation. I'm new here and just wanted to add a few thoughts on this topic as my first post here. I think the challenges change over time and at different ages. On a day-to-day basis I think the hardest thing is knowing when to say yes or no, and the answers that fall somewhere in between. I'm a single parent of a teenage daughter. In her early years I tried to make my default answer 'yes' so she could experience they joy of doing things she wanted to do. I also provided a lot of either / or choices to empower her and provide a path to acceptable choices. I think that's made a big difference in developing good judgement in my daughter. But once we hit the teenage years my default answer bacame 'no' because I wanted her to learn how to negotiate, convince, or otherwise learn how to get the things she wanted. Now, at age 16 getting there's yes, no, and then the huge middle ground of if - then - but with caveats, concerns, and conundrums!

clairebeautiful

I have three kids under age 7.

The hardest part for me is truly maintaining the daily mental and emotional fortitude required to raise little kids (and babies) into independent and responsible thinkers.

It is tiresome. And it gets easier by the day, so when I read about the "Dreaded teenage years" or the sadness of saying goodbye at 18, I can't help but think that I'm not going to be in that parenting boat.

I'm really excited about my adult relationship with my adult children. Until then, I find myself often exhausted and frustrated in these little kid years. DOn't get me wrong, many things are as heartwarming, funny, and delightful as they are difficult. But that's mine.

John Beck.

Even parenting has its own ups and downs. And I am curious as to what other parents here think is the hardest part when it comes to parenting.

I personally think at this early stage of parenting to my kids, seeing them suffer from sickness is really heart-breaking. I think it is hard because sometimes, we cannot do anything to ease the pain and if only we could transfer the pain to our own bodies, we would definitely do such thing. I know that there are still many things in store for me and my kids so I think I would encounter more difficult situations as they grow older.

What do you think? ;)
I agree that seeing them suffering from illness is heart breaking, especially when they are little. When our son was three he took ill and was admitted to hospital where doctors suspected meningitis, in response to there diagnosis he had to have a lumber puncture, this just tore my heart out. This was my hardest parenting moment for sure.

Access Your Brain

I think the hardest thing about parenting is totally changing our habits to fulfill the role model we want to be for our children. Our 4 year old has never watched tv, seen a movie or played with a computer/ipad. We don't have a tv in our home and when we are at the grandparents, they turn the tv off. This has been really hard, but we once got some feedback. There is an ice cream parlor with a bar where you can sit and watch/talk to the 'soda jerks' that work there. One woman told us that she is amazed at the type of conversations and the attention span that our son has. She said, "believe me, I see a lot of children, he's different." I attribute this to our no media lifestyle. He isn't trained to be entertained. Anyway, this was a difficult transition for my partner Joseph and I. We grew-up watching tv, but after a few months, we didn't even miss it.
I agree, being a role model for your children is the hardest one. They say "do not teach your children; teach yourselves," meaning that if you behave yourself in a certain way but try teaching the opposite - it's not gonna work. Children are the reflection of you. They will copy what they see. So, it's more than enough incentive for us, the parents to change ourselves and behave as a role model for our children!

Dan_Bukowski

Advisor Member
For me the gradual process of allowing to give my oldest son his space. He is going to be 11 and he does do some of his own thing around the house without us and the friend dynamic is becoming more pronounced. His socialization has been a good thing but it just takes some getting used to that I am not his primary conversation piece all of the time. I have a 4 year old also so I can at least still be a "star" to him for a few more years :)