What would you do if you reached a job plateau and could not advance?

moneymakingmom

Coaching Member
Would you quit your job and find other work if you found out that you had reached a job plateau and could not advance higher in your company? Would you go back to college to finish your degree or get an advanced degree? How would you get your career out of a slump? Or, would you just stay in the present job and accept your current career limitations, though it meant never advancing to a more challenging or financially rewarding position in the company?

The Corporate ladder leads to nowhere. I'd look for a career/job I loved and be happy with it. I've known some very successful people who are kind of miserable, because their careers bore them.

fsxss

Would you quit your job and find other work if you found out that you had reached a job plateau and could not advance higher in your company? Would you go back to college to finish your degree or get an advanced degree? How would you get your career out of a slump? Or, would you just stay in the present job and accept your current career limitations, though it meant never advancing to a more challenging or financially rewarding position in the company?
I guess it depends on where you are and on why you can't advance.

For the first question, if I were already in a fairly high position within the company, I'd continue there and wouldn't worry about being unable to go up. However, if I were in the lowest positions and couldn't advance, I'd try something else.

That leads to the second part - why can't you advance? Is it because you don't have any qualifications or because the company doesn't want you to (there can be multiple reasons for this). If it's the former, I'd seek further qualifications by studying, but only if I could do it while keeping the current job. If your problem stems from the company not wanting you to advance, I'd send resumés to other companies and see what choices I had.

MoreSuccess

Senior Advisor
Staff member
Good points fsxss. While I did get a college degree, most of my upward movement in my career was due to self learning. I'd figure out what sort of knowledge was needed at the next level and I'd buy books and look up things on the Internet. Sometimes it's not your knowledge level that holds you back, but rather someone in management has just decided they don't want to promote you any further, in those cases it may be time to apply for a job somewhere else. Also I've seen where people have been held up in their career growth simply because of their people skills, which is unfortunate to see as they can be totally blind to that fact.

Being a self learner can get you promoted as well, a good manager will respect that you can be given tasks outside your normal duties and you can go figure out how to do it. Demanding formal training can backfire.

moneymakingmom

Coaching Member
I've seen where people have been held up in their career growth simply because of their people skills, which is unfortunate to see as they can be totally blind to that fact.
People skills are very important to advancement in any profession and unfortunately that's not something every person comes by naturally. A wise company will make sure their leadership/managers and employees get additional training in this area cause ultimately the lack of people skills costs the company money too, while limiting an employee's job prospects and future advancement.

gowriter

Long ago, yes, I'd be terribly upset about not advancing. These days status doesn't matter as much to me as reliability and effectiveness. However, I understand there's a purpose for structure and management. It should never be abused.

moneymakingmom

Coaching Member
Long ago, yes, I'd be terribly upset about not advancing. These days status doesn't matter as much to me as reliability and effectiveness. However, I understand there's a purpose for structure and management. It should never be abused.
A good point! Each person travels along their own path, making decisions that work best for them. Just ten years ago, I was highly driven toward a certain goal. Then my daughter was born, and I started focusing inward on my own life, my family and my internal self. Since then, I think that I am a better, stronger person who has more to give to my family and the world in general, even in a job situation.

I experienced this in one of the companies I worked for. I quit. That was a hard choice but it had to be made.:) Good thing it all turned out for the best, MMM. I found a better job with a higher pay too.

I believe it is really hard for us to get a gratifying career nowadays. If I don't have a choice, I would probably stay in my current job and disregard about my urge to excel. But if opportunity provides me better choices, I would definitely go for higher goals, which may really help my family financially.

zararina

Coaching Member
I actually done that and of course end up resigning on the job. I can not see myself few more years just checking journal's layout. Although i could advance more on it, it still happens to bore me.