What were the biggest challenges experienced when beginning your own personal development journey? What would have helped you most to overcome these?

tomwilko

When i first realised that I needed to change if I wanted my life and my outcomes to change there weren't the resources available through the internet we have now.
However, even now I find all the information out there to be siloed to specific areas rather than a true holistic approach to personal growth, many of the systems/programmes/courses/coaches I see don't appear to address a deeper more meaningful approach to personal transformation.

My biggest challenges when I started out were...
  1. Knowing where to start!
  2. I didn't know where I was or what good should look like. ...I didn't know what I didn't know...what to look for or where to look for it.
  3. I knew I wanted a complete solution to give me some sort of personal-measure with some explanation of what the measurements meant to me and some guidance on the different aspects of personal-growth. So I could then draw a line in the sand to have a clear starting point and say...'Ok, I'm here, this is what it means and I understand, now I can start working out where I want to go and how I'm going to get there.' Once I understood where I was I wanted something that would help me define and clarify a destination point, and which would help me map out the milestones in directing my journey to get me there.
Because I couldn't find comprehensive answers to the challenges I had for myself, I had to set out on the journey to solve them for myself one by one, I found answers in many different disciplines that when brought together and tested with scientific method began to make sense.

"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something build a new model that makes the existing model obselete."
Buckminster Fuller

I am super interested to hear what have been, or are the greatest challenges you have faced or are facing in your personal development journey? How might you overcome them?

Last edited: