What steps do you take to root out habits you feel are holding you back?

Mnemeonics

I think we all slip up on our personal development journeys from time to time, whether it be a pattern of laziness that resurfaces ever so often, or periods of time where we may find ourselves indulging in things we know are against the grain of what we want for ourselves. I think it is important to have several ways out of these patterns, so my question to you is this:

When you find yourself wanting to engage in behaviours you know are going to hold you back from your goals, how do you personally deal with the temptations and procrastinations?

I will get the ball rolling with one of my own methods: I like to recite inspiration quotes, a personal favourite for motivating myself is "Five years from now, what will you wish you had done today?"
I like this one because it makes me remember the link between my day-to-day choices and my ultimate long-term destiny and even feel slightly anxious about it.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

Javi92

I read about a solution for bad habits in a Tony Robbins book, which I find to be very useful:

Step 1/ Think about what the bad habit has cost you so far, what it is costing you now and what it will cost you in the future.
This applies to health, relationships, lost opportunities, etc.
The idea of this step is to start associating pain with the habit you want to lose, to the extent that the pain associated
with change is now lower than the pain associated with keeping the habit.

Step 2/ Once you reach that point where change is more attractive than the bad habit, you are ready to let go of it,
but you need to find a new habit to replace the old one, otherwise you are left with an empty space that requires
filling, making it more likely that you fall back into the old habit.
Therefore you look for an empowering habit and start doing it every time that you miss the old one,
effectively substituting it after some conscious effort, until you reach the point where it comes naturally.

Thora

Advisor Member
I think the most common reason people don't seem to reach their goals is either because 1) they don't really want to reach them OR 2) they are going about it the wrong way.

1) I find that there is a difference in what goals you think you should have and the goals you truly want to have

• I had allot of goals concerning a job I had, but I struggled to keep myself motivated in reaching them. It was nerve racking and frustrating, basically I didn't enjoy reaching them one bit.
  • Now I'm an entrepreneur with allot of goals and I can't wait to reach them. I jump out of bed each morning feeling full of energy and I don't even have to think about motivational stuff concerning them.
  • Why? Because now I'm passionate about what I do.
2) Sometimes a new perspective gives you the solution your looking for
  • I exercise moderately (meaning I walk allot during the day, I don't just sit around). I eat home-cooked meals (I'm married to a chef ;) ). We eat very diversely. I'm a keen gardener so I do allot of heavy lifting (I landscape myself). But even though all this should keep me fit, I was still overweight.
  • My solution was not to diet (don't believe it works in the long-run) but to ADD to my diet. There were certain ingredients that I wasn't consuming enough of in my daily diet. And I started meditating which calmed me down and through a great program I love started to find out why I wasn't burning fat before.
  • Now I'm loosing weight, I'm not struggling with a diet regime and I'm happy!
So is your goal Truly Your Goal, and are you going about it The Right Way!

Live easy!
Thora MJ

GJGreyling

Coaching Member
Hi there!

It is true that if we do not eliminate our bad habits, they will have a negative compounding effect that will derail us from our dreams and goals sometime down the road! I’m not sure where I've heard this before, but here is a technique that I find to be useful in deterring me from engaging in those bad habits that I want to rid myself from.

1-Alert

Alert yourself, that you are engaging in a bad habit.

2-Avert

Shift your attention to some other form of activity.

3-Confirm

Confirm that you have successfully shifted tour attention somewhere else and that you are OK.:)

William Martinez

Advisor Member
I love this! My specialty is goal creation and Thora seems to have a good grasp on it:) Obviously, awareness of the bad habit is key, but know that to rid yourself of it is a process that takes time, on day at a time, develop a daily plan to get rid of this habit, and then only focus on that days plan and only for that day! Don't fantasize about the future, or regress to past failures. Put all your focus on only the day.