What makes a Relationship successful???

From my past and current experiences, and from observations of other relationships around me. The biggest factor I think that can make or break a relationship is "RESPECT" for one another. And this applies to any and all kinds of relationships. Whether it be within the family, business, co-workers, online and every other relationships in between.

Think of all the things and all the people you respect. When you respect something, you take good care of it. And when you respect someone you nurture that relationship, and it continues to grow and build even stronger.

Once respect is lost, it is very difficult to regain, because Trust has a lot to do with it. Respect and Trust go hand-in-hand and once Trust is gone, it takes a lot to get it back, if ever.

So what do you think? And what do you think makes a successful relationship?

Yes, I agree respect and trust go together. I think another key to successful relationships is good communication. If communication is poor, or if there are misunderstandings, respect and trust can easily get lost. For me good communication is vital to maintain everything else.

It's very common in relationships that there are communication breakdowns, as when one partner doesn't feel able to freely express themselves, or if one partner doesn't engage in active listening. Good communication also requires empathy, and the ability to be present for the other person's emotional needs.

Yes, I agree respect and trust go together. I think another key to successful relationships is good communication. If communication is poor, or if there are misunderstandings, respect and trust can easily get lost. For me good communication is vital to maintain everything else.

It's very common in relationships that there are communication breakdowns, as when one partner doesn't feel able to freely express themselves, or if one partner doesn't engage in active listening. Good communication also requires empathy, and the ability to be present for the other person's emotional needs.
Thank you James, I agree with all you said. And absolutely Communication is super important. Without it there is no relationship. But you will notice that when RESPECT is present in a relationship, we tend to ensure there is excellent communication so that there is no misunderstanding, and we communicate very well to avoid loosing respect of others that is so hard to acquire. And when there is respect between two people, we make it a point to listen attentively because we care about one another's feelings and points of view. And even if we don't know how to communicate something to someone, we make it a point to express it to that other person somehow, out of Respect!

denydritz

Coaching Member
I agree with my mentor who says that the key to a successful relationship is "building a shared vision."

When we are building a shared vision, we automatically respect each other and communicate until we completely understand each other, because we are all eager to reach our vision.

It seems many relationships aren't built on a shared vision, and therefore suffer from lack of respect and communication. Some relationships are merely agreements of convenience or short term/shallow goals/mutual interests that don't foster the same level of open communication and respect like a shared vision.

I agree with my mentor who says that the key to a successful relationship is "building a shared vision."

When we are building a shared vision, we automatically respect each other and communicate until we completely understand each other, because we are all eager to reach our vision.

It seems many relationships aren't built on a shared vision, and therefore suffer from lack of respect and communication. Some relationships are merely agreements of convenience or short term/shallow goals/mutual interests that don't foster the same level of open communication and respect like a shared vision.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts denydritz. It may be that the respect is not present at all so it makes it difficult for one or the other to accept another's vision, as all that person think and care about is his/her own vision. But if respect is present first and foremost, and also reciprocated, then no matter what is shared the other will be more open and willing to accept and listen to another's point of view. Then both can come to a common ground, and build a shared vision.