What makes a good employee?

A good employee must be accountable for what he/she does and understand the expectation of the boss. A great employee looks after their employer's business as their own.

Isantis Tao

Coaching Member
A good employee is a mindless sheep who comforms to the work environment and does what they are told. A good employee is not entrepreneural and does not have their own business pursuits to interfere with their work. A good employee works to help the higher ups make and market their products and build their business for less than 1% return while the higher ups become millionairs, without ever asking for too much of a raise. A good employee is willing to assume the risk of loosing their job for arbitrary reasons, having their job go nowhere, and possibly not ever being able to retire, just so those above them can live well. A good employee gives up most of the time they have to give just to make ends meet, knowing that time is your most precious resource you have to give.

A good employee never starts their own business. And is happy being taken advantage of and used for their labor, being given little in return and getting the blunt edge of the stick anytime it is good for the company. A good employee is selfless as such, and knows full well what they have signed up for in working for someone else.

Sidewinder

A good employee is one that has an amicable relationship with his employer, one who's not afraid of giving feedback to the boss when he feels it would benefit the company. Beyond that, a good employee know when and where to be professional as well as when to let their hair down. A good employee will voice out their concerns about a company's direction or if they know a coworker's in trouble. That is to me, what a good employee is.

Phil Moufarrege

Advisor Member
A good employee is a mindless sheep who comforms to the work environment and does what they are told. A good employee is not entrepreneural and does not have their own business pursuits to interfere with their work. A good employee works to help the higher ups make and market their products and build their business for less than 1% return while the higher ups become millionairs, without ever asking for too much of a raise. A good employee is willing to assume the risk of loosing their job for arbitrary reasons, having their job go nowhere, and possibly not ever being able to retire, just so those above them can live well. A good employee gives up most of the time they have to give just to make ends meet, knowing that time is your most precious resource you have to give.

A good employee never starts their own business. And is happy being taken advantage of and used for their labor, being given little in return and getting the blunt edge of the stick anytime it is good for the company. A good employee is selfless as such, and knows full well what they have signed up for in working for someone else.
LOL took the words right out of my mouth. Thanks, now I don't have to write anything!
I was always a terrible employee. I wanted to work when I wanted and leave when I wanted. I wanted to get paid for my value not my time, I wanted to be as noisy and playful as I wanted. I wanted to eat and go to the toilet when I wanted. I wanted to do things my way when I wanted.

I was never good at the "sit in the office quietly and pretend to be happy" thing.

So I did something about it.

Now I get paid as much as I like, work when I like and do whatever I want.
I make a bad employee.

Dirk le Roux

A good employee is an entrepreneur. His job is of tremendous value and he should look after his job as if it is his own business. He is "making" his money with his job.

D

Deleted member B

Very well said! Coincentally, this was the topic of my latest article.

Actually, you have to ask yourself the right question: is it good for you, for your current role, to be a "good employee"?
Sometimes (and I had personal experience with this) the agenda of your boss is quite different from what would bring value to yourself. In that case, you might be the sheep that works day and night to make someone else's dreams true. Is that what you want, especially in you are interested in personal development?

That being said, there are positions out there that offer good value to their employees (I am not talking about the financial aspect only, obviously).

Dirk le Roux

Quite right! The question: Is it good for you? Normally one only realises what you had after you've lost is!

Derrick LaFrenier

Coaching Member
There are to many variables that determine, what makes a good employee. So I will say:

My actions speak louder than words.

Both my words and actions help define me. However, my actions are more important because words are hollow with nothing to back them up.

My credibility is enhanced when what I do matches what I say.

I enjoy peace of mind and my life is simplified when I back up my words with actions. I am comfortable with the choices I have made.

I earn the trust of others. People can depend on me. When say I am going to bake cupcakes for the school fundraiser, I show up on time with a full tray. I am especially careful when I know that others are relying on my promises. I want to avoid harming anyone, even if it is inadvertently.

I become a better role model for my children when I follow through with what I say. I know that they are more likely to follow my advice if they see me applying it to my own life.
In order to live up to my word, I ensure that I think before I speak. I consider my limits and choose my words carefully.
Most of all, I strive to be authentic. Being true to my core values helps my thoughts, speech, and actions flow smoothly in the direction that I want. Individual decisions become easier when my guiding principles are firmly established in my mind.

I focus on goodness rather than perfection. If I am ever unable to follow through on what I have said for some unavoidable reason, I apologize and work to make amends.
Today, I let my actions speak for themselves. I am only as good as my word.
Self-Reflection Questions:

1. What kinds of situations tempt me to make promises that are beyond my reach?
  2. Why does my reputation matter to me?
  3. How does my credibility affect my relationships?

Jose

The concept of the 'good employee' is not the same today as it was a 100 or even 30 years ago, before the Internet. People have the option today - to be a 'good employee' and simply earn a salary doing what they enjoy or not, or be an entrepreneur.