What is your opinion on Homeschool?

Dorothy

I started homeschooling about 11 years ago because of the violence and lack of learning in the public school where my kids were going. I really love homeschooling my kids. What do you think of Homeschooling?

MoreSuccess

Senior Advisor
Staff member
I can't speak from any personal experience but I think it really depends on the parents doing the homeschooling, as to whether they can do an effective job at it, and work to ensure their child also has opportunities for socialization. It also depends on the situation with your public school, if it's bad enough then I can see wanting to keep your kids away from it. I presume it must be going well for you since you've kept with it this long!

Dorothy

Yes it has been really great for us. The ones that have finished home school , all have really great careers and are married with their own kids. I also agree with you on it depends on the parents doing the homeschooling as well. It may not be for everybody, just as public school may not be for everybody. Thank you for your reply.

Dorothy

I can't speak for everybody but in my case it doesn't deprive my kids to interact with others. My kids have their friends and they interact with others all the time, as I said before though I can't speak for others but socialization was never a problem for us.

hollyholidaze

I thought a lot about the possibility of trying homeschooling. But there is a great elementary school near me that is Spanish immersion, and when I think about one thing that has been great for my life, it is the ability to speak Spanish, so I want my kids to learn it as well. It made learning other languages easier for me as well, although I am most fluent/confident with Spanish & English. Maybe I will home-school for the later years, I will have to decide that when the time comes. Thanks for the post, though. It is interesting to see what other people think.

Dorothy

If I were ever to have kids (big if) homeschooling would be the only choice for me.

I agree,now that I am Homeschooling I don't know why I didn't start a long time ago. Glad to here there are more out there that agree with me on this. Thanks for your post.

marlinealcott

School was a complete nightmare for me. I've always thought that if I ever went to hell, it would be being forced to relive school over and over again. I would never be capable of putting my own kids through something like that. I'd honestly rather go to prison than be forced to endure middle and high school again. Elementary school was pretty bad too. The first time I got beat up by a gang of kids I was in the first grade. Six years old. That isn't right.

John Beck.

I started homeschooling about 11 years ago because of the violence and lack of learning in the public school where my kids were going. I really love homeschooling my kids. What do you think of Homeschooling?
As parents of a very shy only child homeschooling would probably not have been a good choice. The lack of socialization would have been very detremental to him. I guess for more outgoing children in larger families this may not be a problem.

Dan_Bukowski

Advisor Member
If parents feel that homeschooling their children is best for them then they should do so. My big hangup is that there are many parents who homeschool their kids and they are ill-equipped and not qualified and don't their their homework nor have the understanding of how important of a job this is. I am not sure I would have the mental capacity to be able to separate the relationship of dad and school teacher. maybe it just as well my kids go to the public school.

Erik913

Advisor Member
If I were ever to have kids (big if) homeschooling would be the only choice for me.
This. Totally. At least for now, any public or even private schools are just totally brainwashing. However, don't forget that by being a parent, you need to teach the child all aspects of life. In other words, all aspects of self development. Of course, the very basic education is also in place - things like basic math, physics, geology etc etc. It's a full-time job. Last but not least, always listen to your child's opinions. Never think of yourself as knowing what is best for him or her, but rather support her/him in everything.(in terms of career, knowledge...)

Samantha

I agree with most of the responses here, homeschooling is definitely a family by family and often times even a child by child choice that needs to be looked at. There are pros and cons to all types of schooling, but at the end of the day if your child is getting an education that challenges them, encourages their strengths, gives them social skills appropriate to their personality and gives them exposure to new experiences then it makes sense.