What is your concept on the after-life?

js14

I believe in an afterlife, but I also believe that it is incomprehensible to the human mind. The moment we attach any meaning or any description would be simply totally wrong. It would be a mere fantasized illusion that we are trying to comprehend.

Imagine a small ant. It has no comprehension of governments, religions, science, money, internet, etc... Although ants are not aware, nor comprehend its existence, we (from our perception) know it exists. We are no different from those tiny little ants. We also don't have any comprehension of the afterlife, god, and the beyond. The moment we try to comprehend the subject, we are (I believe) totally wrong. Our mind has its own limits. It can not be explained, and the moment you explain it, then you are totally wrong (even if your ego might not like to admit it).

Which ironically, I just explained. :D

Where did I come up with this idea? I don't know. Somewhere, sometime, when I felt (subjectively) like I had an epiphany about this universe coming from the ether... ironically. :D

Where did I come up with this idea? I don't know. Somewhere, sometime, when I felt (subjectively) like I had an epiphany about this universe coming from the ether... ironically. :D
Did you ever watch Babylon 5? There's a moment in that where G'kar explains the First Ones to Sinclair's lady after she's been out surveying a world and gets buzzed by a massive, indescribable thing. He uses an ant as an analogy as well - perhaps you remembered that somewhere in your subconscious or perhaps it's just an excellent analogy and, you know, great minds think alike and all that. :D

js14

Did you ever watch Babylon 5? There's a moment in that where G'kar explains the First Ones to Sinclair's lady after she's been out surveying a world and gets buzzed by a massive, indescribable thing. He uses an ant as an analogy as well - perhaps you remembered that somewhere in your subconscious or perhaps it's just an excellent analogy and, you know, great minds think alike and all that. :D
No, I've never seen Babylon 5 and not even Babylon 1,2,3,4. I'm only aware of it through "The big bang theory" episodes where Sheldon made a reference of watching Babylon 5 with commentaries. I know and heard that it was very popular, just somehow I've never seen it.

Just the other week I was speaking to a friend of mine. We were talking about philosophy and "The matrix" movie, which was philosophically related. I was shocked to find out that he has never seen the movie (not 1,2 and 3). Now I know how he felt. :confused:

Though I wouldn't rule out your point; that somewhere in my past subconsciously/subliminally I encountered it. :)

it is my belief that we are eternal souls constantly re-encarnating until we understand all that we need to, then we go to a higher dimensional being such as jessus or buddah may have been and we can help the lower dimensional being asscend to the same state. I also belive that we have been on earth for millions of years and that we keep reaching a high state of society and keep wipeing each other out and regressing to lets say cave men and starting again, this may have almost happend again during the cold war. there is evidance to suggest nuclear weapons being used in northern india 1000's years BC. (this information is derived of multiple sources including youtube so take it with a grain of salt).

MoreSuccess

Senior Advisor
Staff member
I believe in an afterlife, but I also believe that it is incomprehensible to the human mind. The moment we attach any meaning or any description would be simply totally wrong. It would be a mere fantasized illusion that we are trying to comprehend.

Imagine a small ant. It has no comprehension of governments, religions, science, money, internet, etc... Although ants are not aware, nor comprehend its existence, we (from our perception) know it exists. We are no different from those tiny little ants. We also don't have any comprehension of the afterlife, god, and the beyond. The moment we try to comprehend the subject, we are (I believe) totally wrong. Our mind has its own limits. It can not be explained, and the moment you explain it, then you are totally wrong (even if your ego might not like to admit it).
I've thought about this as well. An analogy I've liked is a cell in the human body. It's alive with a function to do, but has no concept of the greater purpose or the human mind, nor could it ever. There are many types of cells that are quite different yet each plays an important part in the greater whole. To a cell, the "creator" is the body and is not a separate entity rather it's part of a greater whole.

I believe the only way we can go beyond those limits is through meditation or other enlightenment methods which expand consciousness outside the limits of the human brain, where you're actually tapping into that greater mind, which has been referred to by various names (e.g. higher self). When you can touch that, it's more a experience/feeling that is beyond normal human thought. I think trying to logically understand it is futile as you suggest.

I believe that there is no afterlife. Like religion, it's something invented to reassure ourselves that we're not just lumps of moving meat that exist for seventy or eighty years, then get recycled back into the ecosystem by maggots.

We have the time we have and that is all - and that is why I try to be the best person I can be every day, to spread happiness and pleasure, to do good. Because anything else would be a waste of what little time I have and since, like all other humans, I am cursed with self-awareness, I can do nothing less.
This. I do understand why people want there to be more. And hey, it can be fun to think about being "reincarnated" even or "who someone was in a past life," etc. I don't see it as anything more than fantasy and letting the imagination run wild, though.

js14

I've thought about this as well. An analogy I've liked is a cell in the human body. It's alive with a function to do, but has no concept of the greater purpose or the human mind, nor could it ever. There are many types of cells that are quite different yet each plays an important part in the greater whole. To a cell, the "creator" is the body and is not a separate entity rather it's part of a greater whole.
Yes I also like the Cell analogy.
I like the Cell analogy regarding the size of space (eternity). A cell is like light-years away from the moon, mars, or the sun... not even outside to the solar system. Our planet earth and the universe that we have captured through our highly sophisticated telescope is like a cell that took a picture of the human body. Yet vast amount of space is yet undiscovered for the tiny little cell. There is the house, and then the backyard, the street, the city, the state, the country, the sea, the continent, the earth.....

There is no life after death. This is not my belief. This is a fact. Anything that can be said in contradiction to this is a belief. But it is a fact that there is no life after death. How can I say it's a fact? Because it cannot be disproved. Everything else can be disproved. Everything else is open to argument. But there is no argument against the fact that there is no life after death.

You can try to come up with all sorts of ingenious explanations of life after death. But the point will remain: The concept of a personality dying and then being reborn or continuing an existence elsewhere is nothing but a fiction; a belief. And if the personality cannot continue its existence then it is dead no matter what other form of matter or energy continues to exist.

MoreSuccess

Senior Advisor
Staff member
Irrespective of my opinion on life after death, I don't think something is a fact because it can't be disproved. If I said the world is coming to an end next month, you can't disprove that, but it's hardly a fact because you can't disprove it. I think your better argument is that life after death cannot be proven through the scientific method, and perhaps questionable to believe in something that can't be proven through science. However, the hole in that logic is that life after death would presumably be outside of physical science and not subject to scientific method. But nevertheless I can understand resistance to believe in unproven things, and is why I'm not 100% convinced one way or another. I believe that just because something cannot be proven doesn't mean it's not true, it just means don't assume it must be true for certain. History is too full of people that were certain something was true, going back to believing the world must be flat or the earth is the center of the universe.

A

artistry

Hi Socrates. nice to see you. Hope you have been well. We can all have our fantasies. For one thing, none of us living will ever know the definitive answer until we are dead. Perhaps this is all there is, perhaps it isn't, I would not try to persuade anyone that there is life after death. Nor would I say there is not, I don't know. All I know is that if there is life after death, I hope it is in a cool place. Cheers.

Actually there are many variations in belief about what sequence of events happens after death. Most faiths group assert that their particular beliefs are correct and are firmly based on accurate interpretations of Bible passages. Obviously, most faith groups must be wrong. In fact, it is even possible that all may be mistaken.

One of the empirical views of life after death could be the vital factor in this whole tangle of afterlife and is there life after death, is the concept of reincarnation. It is a major aspect of Hindu religion's description of afterlife, especially in the Upanishads. Reincarnation too, has two meanings. One is the preservation of the 'essence' of that being or being born in some other form. This also constitutes a major part of the debate of afterlife. Then, there are atheists who believe that there is no life after death. On the other hand, in many religions, as mentioned earlier and as scripted in the Bhagwad Gita, the soul is believed to be immortal. To further elaborate on this concept, they believe that the soul is eternal and just as a human being changes clothes, the soul changes bodies. The spirit lingers, as believed in Zoroastrianism. Egyptians on the other hand, were amongst the first to believe in life after death and so the practice of mummification and keeping the Book of Dead, food, jewelry and curses for the body.

I personally believed in after-life which is our life in this earth is just temporal and our death is the entrance to eternal life which is either to heaven or hell. For me it is very important to invest something eternal than investing something on this earth like riches and fame where will get rotten, the thieves will steal it, and somehow will disappear like what happened to other millionaires and rich people. I am contented to eat healthy and good food everyday, have place to stay, clothes, good health and some basic needs.

Yes, I agree with you after death we are judged if we can enter heaven or hell but I also believe there's what we call purgatory where everyone is placed and on the second coming will be the judgement day.

Do I believe there is a an after life? Yes, I do, I can't believe that this is all that is to us. I believe there is a spiritual plain in which we all came from before life, and we all return there when our mission here in the land of the living is over. However, do I consider it Heaven, well for me its a spiritual plain where we become one with our creator, so if this is viewed a Heaven to some so be it. Do I believe there is a Hell? No I don't, what I believe happens is if a person has failed their mission for whatever reason, they are sent back to do it over. In other words, yes I do believe in a form of reincarnation. I also think that in some cases the spirit is given a choice to go back or remain on the spiritual plain if they so desire. Yes, I have given this much thought, and have even read books regarding the subject. As for there being no after life as some believe because there is no proof that there is. I think every thing that we think of in our minds is based on some truth of some kind. So the illustration of Heaven that is in the bible had to come from somewhere. But what about Hell, well I guess we're more or less already there when you stop to think about it. Trying to avoid sin, finding knowledge, learning from our mistakes. But then again maybe Hell is based on the premise of be good or you will be punished, just a thought.

I believe that in my afterlife I would come to meet all my friends and family at the same place, where we could smile all we want and enjoy the vast nature of paradise. Or if there is a reincarnation, I don't know, I am just excited if there is, but I want to be in Heaven that's why I am trying hard to do good.