What is your concept on the after-life?

AmazingP

Advisor Member
If there is one thing that almost all religions and denominations agree, it is the fact that there is an after-life or a state of existence after the physical life. Some are into reincarnation while most are inclined in rewards such as entrance into a place call heaven. In other words, while most religions will agree that there is an after-life, there is no consensus on what it is.

Please describe a little of your concept on the after-life and where you are basing your faith?

Estefani

I'm not sure how I feel about the after-life. I think that our souls just move on to their next body the minute we die. I guess what I believe in in reincarnation.

vest007

I don't believe in after-life. That doesn't mean that I am not religious. I believe in god. But it is too difficult to believe in after life and all, after you gain a good amount of knowledge of science and medicine.

speedy

Advisor Member
I personally believed in after-life which is our life in this earth is just temporal and our death is the entrance to eternal life which is either to heaven or hell. For me it is very important to invest something eternal than investing something on this earth like riches and fame where will get rotten, the thieves will steal it, and somehow will disappear like what happened to other millionaires and rich people. I am contented to eat healthy and good food everyday, have place to stay, clothes, good health and some basic needs.

MyDigitalpoint

Advisor Member
According to my former Catholic religion, once a person passes away his/her soul goes to heaven or hell to receive what he or she earned on earth.

However from my own eclectic and pagan point of view, I do believe in after-life considering that we remain the same in spirit, being around the living people when they need us or we need to get closer for any given reason, but staying in a dimensional plane that only who passes away may describe; the famous white-light tunnel that many people refer to in near-death experiences.

However in such plane time is measured in a different way so a spirit may remain there for a hundred years and he or she may think it was a few months since they departed, but sometime, somehow, the person is called to come back to earth in a new person who will eventually grow up to evolve and receive the rewards or penalties for whatever he or she did in the previous life.

At least this is how I feel it must be.

MoreSuccess

Senior Advisor
Staff member
MyDigitalpoint, my beliefs are very much like yours. A good book that substantiates much of this is Destiny of Souls by Michael Newton along with some of his other books. He's a hypnotherapist that regresses people back to before they were born, very interesting things in there that seems to make sense. So much of this aligns with other similar books I've read on hypnosis regressions and near death experiences. The Conversations with God series is also excellent. So much material like this doesn't really conflict with the major religions, rather exposes the human interpretations and misconceptions that were layered on top of them. Even if one chooses to not believe what's in some of these books I think we all need to at least hear them out with an open mind.

Cecil Estrera

I don't know where to believe in when in comes to the issue of having an after-life whatsoever.
But I believe in heaven and that good souls will have their place there.
I am not saying I wanna die soon but I sure want to see what heaven looks like.

zararina

Coaching Member
All i know is that i believe in heaven and that a person who deserves to go there would be able to reach there when he will die. I also believe that God do give second chances or several chances in life for those who do not deserve to be in heaven. They will live again on earth and be able to have their chance again of living righteously.

AmazingP

Advisor Member
My own belief in the after-life is very much rooted in the scriptures as handed to us by the early apostles and the old prophets. Christ never promised a life in heaven! Why do I say that? It is because in the book of Revelation, the house of God in heaven would be coming down to the new Earth where all the sons and daughters of him are to dwell forever. When Christ said that he is preparing a place for us in the house of his Father, he never said that that house will stay in heaven forever.

Another thing is that the after-life or the reward will never happen immediately after we die. Death is death or cessation of life. This is the basis why early Christians knew that the only hope is resurrection back to life under Christ. What is the point if there will be resurrection if you are already rewarded? It just does not make sense. All dead people starting from Adam and Eve are all still ashes in this Earth and are still waiting for the final resurrection. Unfortunately, these original beliefs or tenets of the original Christianity were all lost or corrupted when religious leaders let pagan teachings come in to the picture. the Bible when properly laid down and understood can present a very beautiful thread that can make all things meaningful and connected and could threshed out things which seems contradictory. Sadly, major Christian churches are actually not inspired to know this thread and so they are just blind leading their likewise blind members.

I know that some Christians might be a little uncomfortable with these beliefs but have you really thoroughly researched the foundations of the teachings your group is espousing?

Karim Jessa

If there is eternal life, why is it necessary to die in order to get it? Why can't we just have it here; right now?

If there is life after death, was there life before birth? If there was life before birth, and if I died in that life in order to reach this life, was I also told in that life that there is life after death? If there is life after death, why aren't we told there's death after life?

Please consider these to be rhetorical questions. I'm not asking anyone to even attempt to answer them. There's no answer. It's all a matter of belief. Trying to apply logic or reason to a topic which is so crucial, and so deeply felt, is nothing but a waste of effort.

It must be evident that I do not believe in a life after death. And I do not believe in reincarnation either (if it's supposed to be different from life after death.) Consequently, then, I do not believe in reward or retribution after death. Which means, sadly enough, no great evildoers who've gone unpunished in life ever get to pay for their misdeeds.

This is not to say that I don't wish there was some glimmer of light on the other side. Facing the prospect of eternal sleep is not easy. At least for me it isn't. Socrates might have offhandedly said that if there is no life after death, then death is just one continuous night of sleep. Such a sleep is not too appealing.

I will not be going easily into that sleep.

DeeNeely

Mr. Praline: 'E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This human is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired ...! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain ...!! THIS IS AN EX-HUMAN!!

AmazingP

Advisor Member
This is not to say that I don't wish there was some glimmer of light on the other side. Facing the prospect of eternal sleep is not easy. At least for me it isn't. Socrates might have offhandedly said that if there is no life after death, then death is just one continuous night of sleep. Such a sleep is not too appealing. I will not be going easily into that sleep.
Death is really sleeping with no chance of waking up again unless there is an intervening power that can provide you a way to be back in life again. Based on the Bible, that chance is what we call as resurrection. The Bible never teaches that you will go to heaven, hell or worse purgatory after dying. All dead are still dead waiting for the time of Chrsit return the second time when dead would be resurrected and be given the chance of real salvation and judgement. What's the use of the judgement if a dead has already gotten his reward?

The problem with most religions including Chrsitianity is that we have gone away from basing the faith on the clear teachings of the Bible and instead got influenced by other techings and later on attempt to have the Bible agree with them.

In case you don't believe the Bible, then I don't have any problem with that. That is your right not to. Just sharing something. :D :D

If there is one thing that almost all religions and denominations agree, it is the fact that there is an after-life or a state of existence after the physical life. Some are into reincarnation while most are inclined in rewards such as entrance into a place call heaven. In other words, while most religions will agree that there is an after-life, there is no consensus on what it is.

Please describe a little of your concept on the after-life and where you are basing your faith?

I believe that the afterlife is a continuation of our spirit that lived before we were born into this earth life. I believe we will always be us from start to finish of our development and that we are here on earth to gain more knowledge to add to our eternal growth library. Some things we just have to have a body to experience.

I believe that there is no afterlife. Like religion, it's something invented to reassure ourselves that we're not just lumps of moving meat that exist for seventy or eighty years, then get recycled back into the ecosystem by maggots.

We have the time we have and that is all - and that is why I try to be the best person I can be every day, to spread happiness and pleasure, to do good. Because anything else would be a waste of what little time I have and since, like all other humans, I am cursed with self-awareness, I can do nothing less.

I believe that we all lived with our heavenly parents before we came to earth and will return there after death. If this life was all there is and if it was all an accident, what would the point of doing anything at all? Might as well die as soon as you take your first breath. There is too much evidence of a well thought out plan to ever think we are here by accident or that this is all there is.

UmiNoor

In Islam which is my religion, it has been explicitly explained what will happen after we die. As a Muslim, we must believe in the after-life. When we die and are buried in our grave. that is the first world that we go to. While in our grave, two angels will visit us and they will ask us questions about God and about our beliefs. If we gave the wrong answer, we would be punished. And this will go on until the world ends and Judgement Day comes.

On Judgement Day, everyone who had died will be resurrected to be judged before God and if we are judged to have been a good Muslim, we will be sent to Heaven but if we've sinned, we will have to receive our punishment in Hell. That is what my religion teaches me about the after-life and that is what I believe in. There's no reincarnation or Nirvana. Once we die, we will be rewarded and punished accordingly.

I would have to say that I believe in an after life of some sort but maybe not in the way that my religion says. I think there is a lot of energy in our bodies and in our soul and since energy cannot be created or destroyed it lives on. Some of that energy might very well become part of new lives and even of nature. So in that way I think we live on.

Confidence123

I definitely believe in an after life. I believe we are souls put on this earth to make our souls evolve. A poster above asked why must we have a life like this before being granted eternal life.. then said not to answer. I'm going to anyways. Can you truly appreciate a sunny nice day if you haven't been in rainy days? Isn't that sunny day more remarkable after a rainy day? Do you not appreciate that day more? How could we appreciate an eternal life if we have no value of life.

Reactions: 777

Daisiesndots

I am unsure of what I believe. I hope that there is an afterlife but at the same time it makes me sad. When I go on, will I be able to watch over my family and friends? Will I even like what I see? I worry that I will be forced to watch my son be sad, or in pain and not be able to do anything about it. I worry that I will be sad about watching my husband move on. But then I have had other people tell me what they believe. That we will be happy and that we will be our own angel. We will not need to watch over our loved ones because they already have guardian angels watching over them. But that makes me scared to, when I go on, do I remember my family? Do I feel ok about not being able to watch over them? A coworker recently told me that "1000 years is but a day to the lord" so If I die and my husband and son die 50 years later, will it only be seconds to hours to me? Im a person that has a hard time believing in what I cannot see and cannot be proved so I try to believe but I always have a little bit of doubt.