What is the Measure of a Person?

Discussion in 'General Self Improvement' started by Kevin Mahoney, Nov 20, 2017. Replies: 5 | Views: 133

1. Kevin Mahoney

Kevin Mahoney Coaching Member

Public Service
    “The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge.” MLK Jr.

I read the above quote for the first time the other day. I tend to think of MLK quotes as being about personal inspiration but this quote I find personally challenging. There is much thought around the concept of limiting our exposure to the “world of measurement.” The idea being that people achieve more when they focus on their own strengths, absent of comparison to others. I tend to agree with the sentiment in most cases but this quote leaves me asking “what is the true measure of a person?”.

What do you believe is the ultimate measure of a man or woman?

Do you feel comfortable with the idea of being measured?

2. Todd Hicks

Todd Hicks Senior Member

freelancer/entrepreneur
    I feel comfortable being measured. Another favorite quote of mine from MLK Jr. is "A man who has nothing to die for is not fit to live".

3. msuccess

msuccess Administrator Staff Member

I think the ultimate measure of oneself is whether you have some core positive values you actually live your life by and seek to improve in. I feel the only measurement of that comes within myself. Otherwise, you are letting your ego and other people run your life.

That said, there is a practical type of measurement in life where your financial and social success depends on others measuring you. If you want to be in the game, you have to play by that games rules, play to win in an ethical manner, and be willing to be measured. Then hopefully you can align this with your values.

Dennielle Lee likes this.
  4. Dennielle Lee

Dennielle Lee Advisor Member

Self-employed
    I would have say that the true measure of a person is how they treat others. I believe this relates to MLK Jr.'s quote of the true measure of a person is where one stands at times of challenge, not just our own times of struggle but how one responds in the face of another's challenge. Do we provide support or turn the other way? I believe this extends from the individual to the broader community, I believe the measure of a community is how they treat (or hopefully support) those experiencing challenging times. How they treat the most vulnerable.

Regarding being measured, for me personally, I've stopped measuring myself and my achievements. I find that nothing beneficial comes of it (probably because of a history of low self-esteem and self-worth) and that we're all on different paths in life, with different values, priorities and objectives. It's therefore pointless to compare how we measure up relative to others.

Good post, very thought provoking! :)

msuccess likes this.
  5. Ricardo Ortiz

Ricardo Ortiz Advisor Member

Clinical Psychotherapist
    This is a great question. The best answer I can think of is speaking from a clinical psychotherapist perspective, I like putting smiles on other people’s face after doing a great therapy session. I like to inspire people. So, I would say one’s measure is by the amount of smiles he produces on other people’s faces : )

msuccess likes this.
  6. Umach

Umach Member

yeah, good question.
    My 2 cents. :)

what is the true measure of a person?

This is a fact whether we accept/like it or not that based upon financial,social,educational parameter of the prevalent acceptable metrics in society, we will be judged and we will consciously or unconsciously judge others. This "measurement" always goes on and is quite dynamic and relative. Means, people from different places,background , state of mind,race, culture may give more importance to one or more parameter values. So, such measurement exist, but in long run, these are least important for happiness or "successful life of a person.

But i think the true measure of a person is : What that person think about himself? He may not be able or need to explain his actions to the wold, but is he/she himself/herself satisfied with the action they have taken. Have they listen to their heart and stood up for what they think is right for benefit of oneself and others.

Here comes the role of : Goal. Everyone have many goals and work on them with priority either consciously or unconsciously. These can anything: family,society,religion, an idea,revolution,rebellion etc
    So, in due course of pursuing to achieve their goals, challenges are sure to come up. At that time, did he stood with courage to face them head on or just simply skipped, step aside or did compromises with ones integrity.

When one looks into his past, what he thinks about himself ? Failures and setbacks are fine. But, can he stare into his face in mirror and say: i did my best. I may have failed many times, but i did whatever i could do best. I stood with my principles and values. I am a good person and have genuinely tried to help each and every person i came across with whatever capacity i had. I have not lived life of a parasite, but that of a positive contributor to world.

And if he can say so, i think he is a success.

Regards
    Umach

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    msuccess likes this.