What is Personal Development?

adaba063

Coaching Member
For the most part, I agree with your message. However, I can get a little frustrated after waking up from a dream that has Mom in it because my mom is really gone.
Please understand, this is not within the area of my study, but I would wonder if there is a message there for you.

Sorry, not even sure where to suggest you look for guidance.

I do wish you all the best!

Developonlinesuccess

Coaching Member
I strive to better myself physically and mentally. It takes a lot of willpower to get outside or get on with work that you've always wanted to do.
For example, I've always wanted to lead this exercise and diet regime which will help me get healthier and more muscular - but my willpower is lacking. I'm hoping to strengthen myself through various means in terms of strengthening my willpower.
Just a thought - to make it easier for you to stick to your fitness regime perhaps you could visualize the outcome -stick a picture up of you desired result so that you really want to get out and into your activity - set a big goal that will be a challenge and feel the achievement every day. This works with any goal' congratulate yourself on all your efforts and maybe break it down to a week at a time rather than a never ending target.
Good luck I hope it helps - Mine is to get fit and healthy and loose some pounds gained over the winter before I go on hols in 2 weeks, so I get up at 7 to fit in one session plus another later in the day - so hope you achieve yours I know I can!

J

James Brown

Personal development is a lifelong process. It's a way for people to assess their skills and qualities, consider their aims in life and set goals in order to realise and maximise their potential. even you can optimize potential for personal development by optimizing human potential one can make personal development .

To me, the bigger questions become, "What am I developing to?" and "In relation to what?" Without a reference point, and me beginning with the end in mind, how can I see the chessboard to know which moves to make? There have been laws and rules around that have been in play for thousands of years- which laws am I unable to "unsubscribe" from, and which rules can I make, change, bend or break?

That's just the thought context I use when I'm going through my due diligence process of determining what information I can use at that time in my journey of life!

"Most people believe that it takes months and years to transform their lives. But actually, you can change your life in the blink of an eye by making a single decision never to go back to the way you have been living no matter what. What takes months, years and decades is the maintenance required to live by that decision."
-Robin Sharma

Last edited:

Todd Hicks

Senior Advisor
"Most people believe that it takes months and years to transform their lives. But actually, you can change your life in the blink of an eye by making a single decision never to go back to the way you have been living no matter what. What takes months, years and decades is the maintenance required to live by that decision."
-Robin Sharma
This is a great quote to use.

GJGreyling

Coaching Member
I started my personal development journey about four years ago when I was invited to attend a success seminar. For me personal development is all about improving ourselves at the very source, our thoughts. Our thoughts create our actions which develop into habits and our habits make us or break us. This applies to any area of our lives whether it is our relationships, finances, hobbies or even our spiritual lives. I believe personal development isn’t something you do once and then you’re done; it should be something you pursue for the rest of your life.

For me the best way to achieve this is through small constant daily improvement. The best book I ever read on the subject is called ‘The Slight Edge’ by Jeff Olson. In his book he suggests reading ten pages every day of a good personal development book. I’ve personally been following this advice for about four years now and can already see a massive improvement in myself. Doesn’t it make sense though? If you spend fifteen minutes a day with great leaders, through their books and audios, your leadership will improve, and this I believe works for any area of your life!:)

G'day Guys, my name is Steve and I'm from Australia.......... about 2 years ago i went through a " bricks and Mortar" business going into liquidation, in short, everything gone, house, cars, wife, business, the lot and just rub it in-personal Bankruptcy as i was the sole director...

So when i ask myself the Question:What is personal Development, I would have to say its a "Life System" and for me a life changer....

Around the time this was all going on as you can image my head state was not great, my self confidence was at an all time low and to be honest i was sitting alone in my recently rented house, separated from my family, starting a new part time job of just 15 hours a week to get me by....... when my Mum ( bless her soul!) introduced me to this world and i have never even once looked back......... I was from the "old Aussie" upbringing of " work hard son and you can have whatever you want"!
Well i did work hard, bloody hard and still i lost everything.
This new way of thinking changed everything for me, I filled my days with quotes like " like attracts like" and "We get more of what we focus on" i loved all this new fresh thinking, i virtually turned the TV off at night and Studied Proctor, Shaw, Robbins, Vitale, I read books!! that was huge for me... never a big reader but i had a thirst for knowledge like i have never had before, I couldn't get enough... still cant...

What it has instilled in me is passion for life!!!! and everything in it... which in turn has brought success in all other aspects of my life ( oh and my wife and i are back together :) but more importantly brought me to places like here, to meet and connect with like minded awesome people all over this magnificent globe....
I look forward to giving as much as i can......

Leo Koumi

Success is the progressive realisation of a worthy ideal, Click Here (Youtube Video) as Earl Nightingale (Great leader of thought) Speaks of personal power, freedom, goal setting and much more This piece of knolwedge is incredible!!

Leo Koumi

I truly believe personal development is absolutely essential for growing in life, it can bring about major life changing events. My life has never been the same since the dicovery of mindset beliefs and the laws that govern ever beings existence.
I would say I am very spiritual with an older head above my shoulders, I absolutely love raising my knowledge higher by leaning knowledge from successful personal devopers in the world.

If this is what you are trying to achieve, Ill give you a few people to check out over youtube. These are my top recommdended people I would highly put forward.

Bob Proctor/Brian Tracey/Earl Nightingale/Napoleon Hill/Jack Canfield

Napoleon Hill book think and grow rich is amazing, many peoples lives have completely tranformed and transistions into dircctions un imaginable at first.
Earl Nightingale "The strangest secret" is another out of this world 40 minutes audio that can be found on youtube. Study this and your life will change for the better.

Keep up the hard work guy because let me tell you. Boy does it pay off!

Pm me, Id like to hear from you and what you think

Leo

Charles

Some of you may wonder what is meant by "personal development". Personal development is also referred to as "self improvement", "personal growth", or "self help" however I like this term the best. Personal Development is simply about improving yourself in whatever areas you'd like, which typically means improving or changing skills, attitudes, or beliefs that will help lead to the desired effect. That desired effect could vary, maybe it's just to be more happy, or maybe to make more money, to save or create a relationship, or even get over a fear such as public speaking. If you're one to feel you are already perfect in all ways then this is not for you, however most of us will admit we have room to better ourselves. Some arrive at an interest in personal development only after they get so frustrated with their current situation that they truly open their mind to change.

So why would we listen to someone else for advice? A favorite author/speaker of mine named Brian Tracy said it well: "No one lives long enough to learn everything they need to learn starting from scratch. To be successful, we absolutely, positively have to find people who have already paid the price to learn the things that we need to learn to achieve our goals".

The last thing I'll say about personal development is that it crosses the entire world, all cultures and all religions. We all have the ability and the desire (most of us) to improve, and that can be as simple as learning to communicate more effectively, or more complicated such as learning the techniques of writing well or speaking effectively in front of others.

I welcome your thoughts on this subject, do you strive to better yourself? Have you always been that way or did something trigger it during the course of your life?
I personally love personal development. It has drastically changed my life and those around me. I highly suggest to anyone that wants to improve their life, the best way is to become active in self development. that means reading, attending seminars, listening to audio tapes, self analysis and challenging yourself at every corner. Walking that line of being uncomfortable so that you can steadily increase yourself and actualize your potential!

Last edited by a moderator:
To me, the bigger questions become, "What am I developing to?" and "In relation to what?" Without a reference point, and me beginning with the end in mind, how can I see the chessboard to know which moves to make? There have been laws and rules around that have been in play for thousands of years- which laws am I unable to "unsubscribe" from, and which rules can I make, change, bend or break?

That's just the thought context I use when I'm going through my due diligence process of determining what information I can use at that time in my journey of life!
Kool Answer

Mind Prosper

The phrase "Personal Development" can be viewed in different ways. However, the definition in it's purest form is Attitude.

Attitude is more important than facts, money, the past, education and circumstances. It is more important than appearance or skill. We cannot change our past, the inevitable, or that people act in a certain way. The remarkable thing is that we have a choice every day regarding the personal development of our attitude. Life is 10% of what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it. How you react is simply a derivative of your attitude. It is so often overstated that it has lost it's meaning, but you must remember, there are things you can not change and things you can. One of the biggest things you can change is your view on rejection, disappointment, set backs and failures. Your view is your attitude. Adjust your attitude to accept these things as learning experiences and success will follow you. It works every time without fail.

Mario Pichardo

I first started down the path of self-development after I found out that I was struggling to pick up women. A brother of a good friend of mine recommended that I look into this one guy on Youtube. Lul-and-behold I watched a ton of videos and started picking out the books. (My game improved somewhat). I fundamentally changed the way that I thought of helping others and now I want to be a life coach and therefore am here to learn and to teach what I have learned over the years.

Horizon

For me, personal development is breaking our own record, what we do everyday.

Ricky O' Shea

Indeed. We all have areas we could improve upon. But I think, personally, that happiness is the ultimate pursuit of personal-development, maybe that's just my Buddhist beliefs shining through, but for me, everything else ties in with it. And that's the beauty of personal development, we all have things to strive for that will make us happier, whether it be improved health, better relationships, or more prosperity and success.

To answer the closing question. I haven't always been this way. I was pretty reckless, care-free, and just bouncing through life. That changed as I approached my thirties. Not sure why, but I just knew there was a better version of me to be fulfilled, so I set out to fulfill it. In my opinion, personal development is a journey - a journey that doesn't stop, so I'm always striving to better myself, as I believe we all are.

alexvic

I think, it should be noted that there often are obstacles to personal development - unfortunately. I mean internal obstacles - doubt, fear, etc. How to overcome them? The first possible way is volitional effort. The second - some kind of psychotherapy. In the latter case, one, just by neutralizing those internal obstacles, undergoes personal development - even if nothing is achieved by him/her in the outer world. The personality just becomes stronger, bolder, more creative - and thereby develops.