What is Personal Development?

Harry

If we try to find the perfect people then we will remain alone in our life.Personal Development is making your present better than past and future better than present.
Do you guys agree with that?

Ari

Advisor Member
If we try to find the perfect people then we will remain alone in our life.Personal Development is making your present better than past and future better than present.
Do you guys agree with that?
Hi Harry I agree. I would like to suggest that we all have good and bad in ourselves and depending on what part we focus on, this is the part we make stronger, firstly in ourselves and secondly in what we see in those around us.

The people in our lives are perfect, for what we need to learn at this moment in time.

I also would like to suggest, that as you find good in more places, then even the past, will change, in how you perceive it.

Our growth builds in small steps and each step brings us confidence and greater strength in our will power. You are able to do this.

I would like to remind myself as well.

Please feel free to use what works and discard what doesnt above!

Justin

Personal Development is the way to achieve anything. It is literally the mental gateway to change anything in life into a new and better result. Happiness, love, income, energy and health.

I really like your article thank you :)

I actually wasn't always a go getter...

I used to be a high school student who didn't care about
what really happened and didn't know what I wanted to do.

But I found people online and got into PD. Changed my whole
life and still is....

Ari

Advisor Member
Hi great message I am curious as I looked it up. What is PD?

Moe

I believe that personal development is a journey we embark on after, like you said, we go through some sort of 'troubling' experience. If we don't experience an intense negative experience, then it is hard for an individual at be motivated enough to go out an seek improvement.

My journey into this area of reality started when I was 18 years old, and had just gotten into an incident with the police. All the negativity that came about from it made me realize that I needed to change. And that desire for change is what led me to the glorious path of becoming the best I can be.

It may not be the case for all people. But I do believe that for most people, a negative experience is what would lead them to do a couple 'google searches,' in an attempt to find out how to change themselves for the better. =)

Some of you may wonder what is meant by "personal development". Personal development is also referred to as "self improvement", "personal growth", or "self help" however I like this term the best. Personal Development is simply about improving yourself in whatever areas you'd like, which typically means improving or changing skills, attitudes, or beliefs that will help lead to the desired effect. That desired effect could vary, maybe it's just to be more happy, or maybe to make more money, to save or create a relationship, or even get over a fear such as public speaking. If you're one to feel you are already perfect in all ways then this is not for you, however most of us will admit we have room to better ourselves. Some arrive at an interest in personal development only after they get so frustrated with their current situation that they truly open their mind to change.

So why would we listen to someone else for advice? A favorite author/speaker of mine named Brian Tracy said it well: "No one lives long enough to learn everything they need to learn starting from scratch. To be successful, we absolutely, positively have to find people who have already paid the price to learn the things that we need to learn to achieve our goals".

The last thing I'll say about personal development is that it crosses the entire world, all cultures and all religions. We all have the ability and the desire (most of us) to improve, and that can be as simple as learning to communicate more effectively, or more complicated such as learning the techniques of writing well or speaking effectively in front of others.

I welcome your thoughts on this subject, do you strive to better yourself? Have you always been that way or did something trigger it during the course of your life?

I think it is about working towards fully realising your innate potential, directing yourself towards living the life you were born to live. We were all born with gifts, not rising up and using those gifts is a waste so personal development helps you reach out and enter your proper destination and state of being.

S

Saisha

Personal development or self development is improving yourself and connecting to your higher self. Positive thinking and the power of your mind is what will help you to change your thoughts, becomes thoughts become things. It's a boomerang effect which will always come back to you whatever it is you think be it positive or negative. Bob Proctor is the #no1 in this field as far as I am concerned. A man who has been studying and teaching this subject for 54 years. Repetition is the key to success together with the art of gratitude and persistence.

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Lorenzo Daley

Hey everyone, firstly let me introduce myself. I am Lorenzo a young man with a desire to reach out and build a community of a people who build each other up through sharing and mentorship.

Personally, although I consider myself to be very ambitious and hardworking, I realize that I have struggles with personal development particularly because I try to do it on my own and not rely on the advice and experiences of those who go through similar situations that I do. If anyone else share my experience they can understand how easy it is to look over the experiences of others and completely focus on yourself. But it is not until you realize that you might have been in the position you are in because you relied on your own strength and lack of experience. There is a lesson to be learn in every failure and success stories whether they are yours or someone else's. I also find that as with any goal or desire one might have, a system of goal setting is instrumental to progressing forward. One must write down realistic and measurable goals and track their progress regularly. That gives us an opportunity to see if we are growing, adjust the areas we are failing in and also gives us a means of rewarding ourself for small successes. Thanks for this post as simple as it may seem it validates for me, the effort that goes into personal growth and I'm sure we can all use a little motivation to keep learning new ways to develop

M

MFCoaching

Personal Development pertains to nurturing an ability or trait within our physical, mental or spiritual body. A simple example would be weight training exercises or learning a new language. Some people need a hard control system with strict rules and guidelines for these changes while others can work with soft control techniques. Some people don't want to any personal development. They want to be more of themselves.

I just want to stress that personal development isn't about changing yourself but bringing more of who you are in the world. It isn't always necessary, but desired. Some people want to recover their original personality after being changed by social rules too. But this isn't personal development as much as personal excavation of sorts. This topic can be approached in many ways and please don't think my small contribution represents my entire philosophy on the subject. I merely share it to exchange ideas or keep the online conversation going. Michael ;)

C

chu bo

I believe that, behind all the things we want to achieve. That is the development ourselves. Improving ourselves in the field of life. Who we are. What skills do we have. What we do best. All the results we get are equivalent to it. The personal development helps our lives more and more enjoyable, meaningful and valuable.

Aree Wongwanlee

Advisor Member
Personal development is an ongoing lifelong process. Nothing remains the same, from one moment to the next. This is true for everything in the universe. Everything is in a constant state of change. The same applies to us. All of us change. The only difference between people who succeed and people who fail is the choice of agent of change. People who allow other people to change them, will just be like rubbish floating along the river of life. People who choose to make changes to themselves will be able to paddle their canoe of destiny to take them to where they want.

Carl Davies

Personal growth is important for all of us. But, how I look at personal development? You can strive to better yourself not just in our life's but everything we do and learn. I've personally been reading quite a few books on the matter and listening audios simply because I enjoy it. Plus, learned a ton about myself in the process. I could write more. Maybe I can create another thread on this subject one day. :)

adaba063

Coaching Member
Some arrive at an interest in personal development only after they get so frustrated with their current situation that they truly open their mind to change.
I would agree, it is usually not until some crisis that most of us realize the need for help.

Best part is, we can all learn from each other!

all the best,

Todd Hicks

Senior Advisor
Considering what you just said, Adaba, I've learned how precious and fragile life is after experiencing the death of my mom at the age of 65 a little over two years ago. I still have dreams about her in which she's actually still alive sometimes.

adaba063

Coaching Member
I've learned how precious and fragile life is after experiencing the death of my mom at the age of 65 a little over two years ago. I still have dreams about her in which she's actually still alive sometimes.
I will assume that these are pleasant memories, in which case it is good to cherish her memory.

Life does go on.

It may be that the best way you can honor your mother is to live a life that she would be proud of.

Who knows, maybe in the next stage of life, they can brag about what their children are doing in this stage of life!

just a thought!