What is Personal Development?

J E Roberson

Senior Advisor
I totally agree Marc Webb, I have found the simple definition of negative thoughts is anything you do not want to invite into your life. How do you define negative as you meant it?

Marc Webb

I think that Negative automatic thoughts are the negative thoughts that are elicited in people with anxiety disorders when faced with anxiety-provoking situations.There are actually quite a number of ways to decondition a negative thought pattern. By cultivating mindfulness, we can learn to identify the negative thoughts that keep us trapped in feelings of self-doubt and shame.

ElisaM

Each morning and evening I write in my journal as a self improvement exercise. Writing things down is a very powerful tool according to experts. Is it working? I seem to be more positive and on task! My short and long term goals are written down including daily chores! Something as simple as a daily To Do List is self improvement.

Phil Moufarrege

Advisor Member
To me personal development is really just a small part of what I like to call THE PERFECTION OF THE HUMAN EXPERIENCE.

I split personal development into 5 basic principles:
Physical performance
Emotional performance
Mental performance
Social performance
Financial performance

I believe spiritual growth is the culmination of the 5 principles. All the principles rely on each other for example:
I feel that I cannot truly attain the highest levels of success socially without having good physical health.

If you want to be better at anything in life, get more healthy, get more fit, get a more inspiring social circle etc.

Kareem

Advisor Member
Personal Development I believe is defined for different people in different ways however, I think it comes down to adding value to your life and your experience here on this planet. Personal Development for me is simply taking the person you were and making yourself a little bit better day by day :)

Rudiano

I agree. Personal development is anything that help you develop into a better person, whether it be mentally, physically, emotionally, spiritually or any combination thereof.

Jason Surmillon

Coaching Member
Great post!

I have a great passion in personal development and would love to learn a lot from others! Being part of a culture that strive to always better themselves and at the same time helping others is simply amazing!

Marka

Some of you may wonder what is meant by "personal development". Personal development is also referred to as "self improvement", "personal growth", or "self help" however I like this term the best. Personal Development is simply about improving yourself in whatever areas you'd like, which typically means improving or changing skills, attitudes, or beliefs that will help lead to the desired effect. That desired effect could vary, maybe it's just to be more happy, or maybe to make more money, to save or create a relationship, or even get over a fear such as public speaking. If you're one to feel you are already perfect in all ways then this is not for you, however most of us will admit we have room to better ourselves. Some arrive at an interest in personal development only after they get so frustrated with their current situation that they truly open their mind to change.

So why would we listen to someone else for advice? A favorite author/speaker of mine named Brian Tracy said it well: "No one lives long enough to learn everything they need to learn starting from scratch. To be successful, we absolutely, positively have to find people who have already paid the price to learn the things that we need to learn to achieve our goals".

The last thing I'll say about personal development is that it crosses the entire world, all cultures and all religions. We all have the ability and the desire (most of us) to improve, and that can be as simple as learning to communicate more effectively, or more complicated such as learning the techniques of writing well or speaking effectively in front of others.

I welcome your thoughts on this subject, do you strive to better yourself? Have you always been that way or did something trigger it during the course of your life?
Hello,

There is a product for personal development that I am promoting. The link can be found here to describe the product:
http://lugdon89.mindvideos.hop.clickbank.net/

I am looking for ways to promote this and am open to suggestions on how to do so. I look to you because of the demographics of your group.

Sincerely,
Marka

Philipk

To me Personal development is a journey in improving yourself. Always stretching your limits to see if you can achieve greater good in your life. As the great Earle Nightingale put it for definition for success "The progressive realisation of a worthy ideal". I believe that also applies to personal development too. If that makes sense.

namktqs

Coaching Member
It is improve my knowledge, my experience, my achievement. It is long process, happy and enjoy in. That is best way to keep myself go right direction.

danielembo

For me, I will explain it like this. I was born in an apartheid South Africa where as black people it was government policy to give us an education that was enough to allow us to understand what grass is and how it should be cut so that as gardeners, you can understand what is required of you by your white employer (They called it Bantu education) This created a nation of ignorant black people with a few bright sparks like Mr Nelson Mandela; Steve Biko and others. Now There is a guy who is a neighbor of mine, called Richard Maponya who despite being black (so, not allowed to conduct business) and utterly uneducated at all managed to rise and became a millionaire (in the 1980s,) deep during the time of apartheid. I have asked him how the hell he did it, he told me for him it was the determination to help his family live a good life and using the systems laws against itself by employing a couple of white guys who were bums from off the streets to be the footmen. It was determination coupled with unchanging belief that he and his family deserved better than the system was giving them. This immediately made rubbish any claim by all of us that you couldn't change your life during apartheid because you were black. He did it. Was it a miracle? maybe. But everything he used was available to everybody else, except his self belief, his motivation and determination. For me, this is what Personal Development is all about.

Derrick LaFrenier

Coaching Member
I became involved in the field of self development out of necessity for myself to learn how to live. So many times we follow a path that is seemingly fun and of no harm and soon you have lived a life based on other peoples values beliefs and behaviors. So it is rather funny that the same method we used to lead us down "the wrong path" (listening to the advice of others) is also a very important part of personal transformation. Either way, You have to be the one who come to terms with your development, no matter what direction you choose. A large aspect of others advice is actually modeling, so when we model (for the sake of this topic) Brian Tracy, here is a person who has proved that what he does works. This build hope and encouragement, the ability to want to make the effort to see the change.

My sacrifices today make tomorrow's achievements worthwhile.

I keep my eye on the prize every single day. There are certain things I want to accomplish that drive how I live my daily life. I make sacrifices today, so tomorrow's achievements are fulfilling.

I know hard work is necessary to achieve my goals.

Sometimes I am tempted to choose fun over work, but I keep my eye on the end goal and make the responsible choice. I focus on what is important so I can avoid frivolity in my life. After I reach my goals, I am left with more than enough time to celebrate and relax.
There are times when I allow myself to take a break because I deserve it. Making time for enjoyment prevents me from becoming jaded.
I avoid getting jealous or caught up in competition with my friends or family members that may be better off financially. Instead, I focus on my own reality and how I can achieve financial wellness.

Each time I achieve small goals, I am encouraged to keep working. Even minor victories inspire me to keep striving for the end goal.
Today, I remind myself of what I want to achieve. I keep the image of that victory at the forefront of my mind. I commit to making whatever sacrifices are necessary today in order to achieve ultimate success tomorrow.
Self-Reflection Questions:
  1. When have I felt like I could work harder than I do?
  2. What sacrifices am I prepared to make to achieve my goals?
  3. How important is the support of loved ones in helping me achieve my goals?

Life

I didn't really know about personal development until my life was close to be out of control, due to my previous highly stressed and depressed personality which was just getting bigger and bigger. Then, I met someone who showed me the way to self improvement. Since that time, I'm always thriving to make myself better especially through meditation practice which is really enjoyable now.

Ann Magana

Advisor Member
Some of you may wonder what is meant by "personal development". Personal development is also referred to as "self improvement", "personal growth", or "self help" however I like this term the best. Personal Development is simply about improving yourself in whatever areas you'd like, which typically means improving or changing skills, attitudes, or beliefs that will help lead to the desired effect. That desired effect could vary, maybe it's just to be more happy, or maybe to make more money, to save or create a relationship, or even get over a fear such as public speaking. If you're one to feel you are already perfect in all ways then this is not for you, however most of us will admit we have room to better ourselves. Some arrive at an interest in personal development only after they get so frustrated with their current situation that they truly open their mind to change.

So why would we listen to someone else for advice? A favorite author/speaker of mine named Brian Tracy said it well: "No one lives long enough to learn everything they need to learn starting from scratch. To be successful, we absolutely, positively have to find people who have already paid the price to learn the things that we need to learn to achieve our goals".

The last thing I'll say about personal development is that it crosses the entire world, all cultures and all religions. We all have the ability and the desire (most of us) to improve, and that can be as simple as learning to communicate more effectively, or more complicated such as learning the techniques of writing well or speaking effectively in front of others.

I welcome your thoughts on this subject, do you strive to better yourself? Have you always been that way or did something trigger it during the course of your life?
I'm a blogger on internet and I share articles on personal development. I believe we are all developing daily and making choices in our life. Hopefullly, we are choosing to improve ourselves and help others along our life journey.

Last edited by a moderator:

Derrick LaFrenier

Coaching Member
I'm a blogger on internet and I share articles on personal development. I believe we are all developing daily and making choices in our life. Hopefullly, we are choosing to improve ourselves and help others along our life journey. [/QUOTE]

Yes, every day we actively seek to be better or develop in some fashion. It is not about the amount as long as it is constant, like Kaizen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raz Chan

I agree we should all look deep within us and be honest with ourselves. Many times we are unhappy, hold on to past grudges, negative past, and limiting thoughts. For many years I didn't realize all of this was holding me back. When I was a child I was constantly told I was not good enough or measured up by my peers and parents. This lead me to feel unworthy and afraid to take calculated risks to get ahead in life as an adult.

My aha moment came at the age of 26 when I finally decided the pain was enough and I was going to take whatever action was necessary to overcome my fears and lack of self-worth. This started with my health and physique. As soon as I began to look better and feel better things started to change in my life for the better. I soon realized that wasn't enough as I had a lot of negative past experiences that needed to be addressed. This meant letting go of past issues and forgiving people who had hurt me. Without doing this I would have been stuck in the past forever and unable to reach my full potential in life.

I can't stress enough how much this has changed my life. For the past 10 years I have operated my own business. Today I speak to young entrepreneurs to inspire them, teach martial arts, live the life I desired, and will be co-authoring the forthcoming book "Power Principles For Success" with Brian Tracy.

Raz Chan
Author, Personal Development & Fitness Expert, Martial Arts Champion

www.razchan.com

Last edited:
Personal development is a rediscovery of one's self. A journey to know who you really are, what you want to be and what you are capable of. A journey to know your purpose in life and to know your higher calling. All of the greatest man and woman in the world took this journey before they become who they are.

I can't stress enough how much this has changed my life. For the past 10 years I have operated my own business. Today I speak to young entrepreneurs to inspire them, teach martial arts, live the life I desired, and will be co-authoring the forthcoming book "Power Principles For Success" with Brian Tracy.
Wow! That's great! Brian Tracy introduced me to personal development(well not personally of course). The first time I heard his audio book "The Miracle of Self-Discipline" I was astounded. His principles were so easy and practical that I said to myself why I haven't done this before. Looking forward to the release of your book Raz.

Raz Chan

Personal development is a rediscovery of one's self. A journey to know who you really are, what you want to be and what you are capable of. A journey to know your purpose in life and to know your higher calling. All of the greatest man and woman in the world took this journey before they become who they are.

Wow! That's great! Brian Tracy introduced me to personal development(well not personally of course). The first time I heard his audio book "The Miracle of Self-Discipline" I was astounded. His principles were so easy and practical that I said to myself why I haven't done this before. Looking forward to the release of your book Raz.
Thank you Nikki. I hope you will enjoy the 2nd edition of Power Principles For Success. I said exactly the same thing when I picked up my first personal development book. It is life changing and you find out so much about yourself on a personal level. By taking actionable steps you really do make positive lasting changes to your own life and others. All the very best to you and your family.

Ari

Advisor Member
What is personal development?

I love the question.

I think personal development is making yourself conscious of what and who you are and knowing what at this moment in time is your belief system and having chosen what to focus on, in your growth moving forward.

Asking yourself, if you believe that you are connected to everything, and as you grow and develop through your experiences and in your interactions good and bad, are you moving closer to being the best you are meant to be, the key of course is making sure that the parts of yourself going through these experiences are seen to be expanding in a positive light and be seen as experiencing good and that the overall path is good for all, because this allows you to see the world in a far greater light.

The excitement of this journey is being able to share and grow together.

Our inner light can only shine through self knowledge and releasing ourselves from limiting and fearful thoughts and self doubt.

I say the same thing to myself as a reminder.

You are beautiful unique and this world is able to function, because you exist in it and only through your positive actions and thoughts will you find and experience the unlimited you.

I am not saying I have the answers to your life; take what works and leave what doesn't.