What is Personal Development?

bneil

In my own opinion, I think everyday in our life is a personal development day, everyday we are developing our very selfs, in every things that we encounter, we grow stronger and more matured.

Ryan Doug

Others maybe trying to live everyday with personal development, but others are not exercising this, because they still allow their erroneous way of thinking to reign over in this lives. A strong application of personal development must be done, and I guess a necessary education regarding this as well as books can help a lot in order to have a good idea on how to start making developments in the personality.

bneil

Others maybe trying to live everyday with personal development, but others are not exercising this, because they still allow their erroneous way of thinking to reign over in this lives. A strong application of personal development must be done, and I guess a necessary education regarding this as well as books can help a lot in order to have a good idea on how to start making developments in the personality.
That's true there are a lot of books, and ebooks available from different sources, and most specifically online, where we could learn something about improving our personalities, and also some seminars or webinars are also available.

Ryan Doug

I believe that all personal development books have all the essential learning for people who want to see change in their lives. Since such books are not just a matter of 5 pages, but they are lots, I do hope that everyone will have the heart to read all of them so that the effective motives of such books will be done in the lives of the readers.:)

Ryan Doug

I believe that all personal development books have all the essential learning for people who want to see change in their lives. Since such books are not just a matter of 5 pages, but they are lots, I do hope that everyone will have the heart to read all of them so that the effective motives of such books will be done in the lives of the readers.:)

Gerlie Reyes

Some of you may wonder what is meant by "personal development". Personal development is also referred to as "self improvement", "personal growth", or "self help" however I like this term the best. Personal Development is simply about improving yourself in whatever areas you'd like, which typically means improving or changing skills, attitudes, or beliefs that will help lead to the desired effect. That desired effect could vary, maybe it's just to be more happy, or maybe to make more money, to save or create a relationship, or even get over a fear such as public speaking. If you're one to feel you are already perfect in all ways then this is not for you, however most of us will admit we have room to better ourselves. Some arrive at an interest in personal development only after they get so frustrated with their current situation that they truly open their mind to change.

So why would we listen to someone else for advice? A favorite author/speaker of mine named Brian Tracy said it well: "No one lives long enough to learn everything they need to learn starting from scratch. To be successful, we absolutely, positively have to find people who have already paid the price to learn the things that we need to learn to achieve our goals".

The last thing I'll say about personal development is that it crosses the entire world, all cultures and all religions. We all have the ability and the desire (most of us) to improve, and that can be as simple as learning to communicate more effectively, or more complicated such as learning the techniques of writing well or speaking effectively in front of others.

I welcome your thoughts on this subject, do you strive to better yourself? Have you always been that way or did something trigger it during the course of your life?
To be what we are capable of being and so become a complete and happy person we need to work on our attitudes and habits. They need to be aligned with our true purpose and lead us towards our hopes and dreams. Personal Development is a process that can assist us to make the changes we need to make to find personal success in all areas of our life.

bneil

No matter how many books we read and buy, the key to personal development is on the people who are reading the book, whether they make a move to change and apply the learnings they acquire from books. It is up to us to apply the methods on the books and change our life to develop.

C

charmaineday

Our personality is the sum total of all the past decisions we made and experience we have undergone.Sometimes bad experiences greatly influence our outlook in life. To avoid repeating past mistakes, we opt to improve ourselves. For me, Personal Development is changing one's behaviors and attitude towards life,self and others. [Link removed per terms and rules posted at bottom of site]

ainsantos

When you want to see some development on your personality, you have to bear in mind that it should start from within. Not with people around you, but it should start from yourself. Personality development tends to enhance your innermost self. You have to make your own track and not only pass thru a ready made path. Through this, some part of yourself will surely improve.

Sophia G

There's an anonymous quote I really like that goes something like this:

'If you do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.'

Without change, there can be no growth.

delboy491

Advisor Member
I agree with Matt
I wish I started with personal development at a young age,but today you have a very good advantage (the web) ....keep using these forums and good luck on your journey.:)

Lana James

Yes, I strive better and harder to improve myself, not only physically, but as well as emotionally and psychologically. It is never easy to be successful, but I believe that as long as I have the willpower, patience and confidence, I will reach my goals in time. It's just a matter of when.

delboy491

Advisor Member
I think you have hit the nail on the head with three massive words there......WILLPOWER ,PATIENCE AND CONFIDENCE.
you can read a lot of books on subject matter but if you don't have the three words above then it is so much more difficult to fulfill your potential.
keep up the good work.:)

Isantis Tao

Coaching Member
I believe that personal development is about self actualization. It is about becoming your ideal self, and having your dream life style.

I have been able to use so many different self help, personal development, and self improvement resources, strategies, systems, sciences, etc for my personal development over the years, ever since I was a young athlete....I almost died at a young age several times due to different health problems that modern western medicine not only perpetuated but contributed to. And luckily with the resources available in alternative health, and different self help resources and systems etc...I was able to heal myself every time! I wouldnt be alive today if it werent for things like holistic healing, alternative health care practices, and different forms of self help. And through personal development and a variety of things from self hypnosis to the law of attraction, to biotechnology such as binaural beats and hemisphere synchronization, I have been able to optomize myself in so many ways and really self actualize and live the life of my dreams! I went from being homeless and dying at one point to being a very energetic, strong, feel good entrepreneur who was able to give back everything the world has given him in the way of personal development resources!

And I believe that self help and personal development...no matter what you call it (self improvement, self actualization, etc etc), are about being your best self. Some people say they dont want to do things to change who they are and they think it is most authentic and "real" to be who you are naturally...and doing things to help yourself grow and develop yourself as a person and not only optomize yourself in every way but to succeed in life as well...doesnt mean changing who you are at the core of your being...its just about bettering yourself and becoming your best self! So people who are in relationships and will notice adverse patterns in a partner will often be met with the "dont try to change me!" line...but that is an arbitrary attitude...

And personal development is about behavior and improving yoruself sociologically as well. I believe that sociology is part of the holistic spectrum of b eing, and that relationships are an important part of life and who we are as people, due to how influential other people are on us. There is nature and th en there is nurture, which comes from other people. So people help to form our lives and who we are as human beings. So this is important in the realm of personal development as well. Cause your life is not all personal, its interpersonal as well. And part of many peoples self actualization includes finding love with a romantic partner, and having friendships and other relationships, as well as social climbing and business success...family...Humans are social animals so we must include social development as well in our self actualization!

Anyways as you can see I can tend to get into this topic haha...I'll stop here!

-Isantis Tao
IsantisTao@gmail.com

Last edited by a moderator:

workinprogress

Hello Everyone,
I am so happy to have found this site as I am on quest to expand my circle with like minded people that are about positive thinking, self awareness, and general betterment. Each and everyday I do something to mode and shape a better me. I listen to inspirational Podcasts, read books or articles, and write 5-6 days a week in my blog. I have only just begun this regiment in Jan but it is already yielding amazing results in my life. I would love to connect with you and share in your stories, transformations, and declarations. I encourage all of you to stay the course because if it were easy, everyone would be doing it! My studies are currently focused on the Power of Intention and the Laws of Attraction. Mindset is everything, and I feed and tune my mindset everyday!
If you would like to connect with me and share in my quest of constant positive reinforcement of my dreams, visions, goals, and intentions please stop by my Facebook page or visit my blog.

time

According to me, personal development is improvising ourselves either by detecting the mistake ourselves..or maybe someone might indicate our errors.

Jantje

For me in simple terms, it means "1. Be aware of what you do and why you do it. 2. If people have this self-aware and open mindset, they are ready to learn to constantly extend their comfort zone".

What do you think?

Happy Easter, everyone!

Jantje

matthewebbert

For me in simple terms, it means "1. Be aware of what you do and why you do it. 2. If people have this self-aware and open mindset, they are ready to learn to constantly extend their comfort zone".

What do you think?
Agree you need to be clear with your thoughts, your goal should be clear.. if you know what exactly you want to achieve and how you can achieve it then you can easily achieve it..

delboy491

Advisor Member
Could not agree more Jantje, If people can take ownership of there so called limitations and move on with an open mind then there
are endless possibilities for self improvement and development.
And being aware of what you do and if you can understand why you do it then you are on the right road to personal success..:)

Jantje

Agree you need to be clear with your thoughts, your goal should be clear.. if you know what exactly you want to achieve and how you can achieve it then you can easily achieve it..
And I guess we should not forget our "resources": time, money and energy level...