What is Personal Development?

Jason

Some of you may wonder what is meant by "personal development". Personal development is also referred to as "self improvement", "personal growth", or "self help" however I like this term the best. Personal Development is simply about improving yourself in whatever areas you'd like, which typically means improving or changing skills, attitudes, or beliefs that will help lead to the desired effect. That desired effect could vary, maybe it's just to be more happy, or maybe to make more money, to save or create a relationship, or even get over a fear such as public speaking. If you're one to feel you are already perfect in all ways then this is not for you, however most of us will admit we have room to better ourselves. Some arrive at an interest in personal development only after they get so frustrated with their current situation that they truly open their mind to change.

So why would we listen to someone else for advice? A favorite author/speaker of mine named Brian Tracy said it well: "No one lives long enough to learn everything they need to learn starting from scratch. To be successful, we absolutely, positively have to find people who have already paid the price to learn the things that we need to learn to achieve our goals".

The last thing I'll say about personal development is that it crosses the entire world, all cultures and all religions. We all have the ability and the desire (most of us) to improve, and that can be as simple as learning to communicate more effectively, or more complicated such as learning the techniques of writing well or speaking effectively in front of others.

I welcome your thoughts on this subject, do you strive to better yourself? Have you always been that way or did something trigger it during the course of your life?
A wise person (not sure who) once said there are only two ways to learn, mentors or mistakes. Brain Tracy is so right.

soso

In my view personal development could be consider the moment when you take your life in your personal hand,you start assumig the responsability for your life better then before ,you start to learn more and experience all the information.

What was in your way when you started to go on the road of personal development?

For me, personal development is a never-ending endeavor to grow and better myself by helping others succeed. I've found that the more I give to my students and the people I meet, the more that comes back to me.

I continue to grow and learn and I try to promote positivity by constantly encouraging other to go for their dreams. My students success is my success

I have a student who had stage fright so bad that she couldn't even step on the stage. In 8 weeks through humor and encouragement she went on the stage and kicked-ass at the world famous Comedy Store in Hollywood. And regardless of her journey in stand up, she overcame a huge obstacle in her self-esteem, her confidence and her success.

Now people with similar fears look to her for inspiration.

Some of you may wonder what is meant by "personal development". Personal development is also referred to as "self improvement", "personal growth", or "self help" however I like this term the best. Personal Development is simply about improving yourself in whatever areas you'd like, which typically means improving or changing skills, attitudes, or beliefs that will help lead to the desired effect. That desired effect could vary, maybe it's just to be more happy, or maybe to make more money, to save or create a relationship, or even get over a fear such as public speaking. If you're one to feel you are already perfect in all ways then this is not for you, however most of us will admit we have room to better ourselves. Some arrive at an interest in personal development only after they get so frustrated with their current situation that they truly open their mind to change.

So why would we listen to someone else for advice? A favorite author/speaker of mine named Brian Tracy said it well: "No one lives long enough to learn everything they need to learn starting from scratch. To be successful, we absolutely, positively have to find people who have already paid the price to learn the things that we need to learn to achieve our goals".

The last thing I'll say about personal development is that it crosses the entire world, all cultures and all religions. We all have the ability and the desire (most of us) to improve, and that can be as simple as learning to communicate more effectively, or more complicated such as learning the techniques of writing well or speaking effectively in front of others.

I welcome your thoughts on this subject, do you strive to better yourself? Have you always been that way or did something trigger it during the course of your life?

This is my first time posting and I agreed with many of the other post.
For me Personal development/Growth is about making sure our foundation is correct. By that I mean that if we have insecurities, a sense of failure, crisis identity and many other past hurts/trauma, then those are the areas that Personal Growth will help a person with. If we want to be a success in anything we attempt, then we have to make sure our nuts and bolts in our beliefs are positive. If a person has no confidence to embrace the changes that will have to come in order to achieve their dreams, then the area of confidence should be addressed. Personal Growth, as I refer to it, is about using positive building blocks in order to grow. Yes I believe that Personal Development is power, but if the person is having a difficult time in believing in themselves.... then power will not accomplish anything for them. Change how we think and we will change how we live.

Gladys
Born to Inspire

NBaker

I agree with a lot of you that personal development is the process of trying to better yourself and should be studied and practiced by everyone. I have also found out by writing my articles that when you really study something with the intent to help others you also help yourself and it makes the things you write about easier to remember. This can be practiced through writing online or even in your own journal or diary.

P.S. Writing in a journal daily is a great way to measure your growth.

http://www.personal-development.com/jim-rohn/miracle.htm is one of my favorite articles describing personal development by one of the original great teachers on the subject Jim Rohn. I'm not sure if I believe the statement in there about dividing money equally, however I like the axioms in caps.
I would have to agree with Jim on this one. Most people are never taught the principles of wealth creation and maintenance. The one statistic that says most lottery winners are broke again within 2 years holds true in this case. I've also heard of millionaires who lost all of their wealth and then earned it back again. This also happened to Jim Rohn and Robert Kiyosaki. Which shows that being wealthy is not about the money that you have in your hand, but the capacity that you have to create it.

Here's my deal: I eat, breathe & sleep personal development. I agree with the idea that you've got to learn from others, and if you think you're going to figure it out on your own, you're sadly mistaken. Rather, you ought to search high and low for the insights that will set you free. A certain handful of authors come to mind like Napoleon Hill, Earl Nightingale, Tony Robbins and Jim Rohn--get into their material and you'll be set.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone here!

radisec

I think personal development is being faced by everyone to develop their self and be more successful in life. I always undergo personal development training to remove the habits and behavior I hate about my self. I do that not because I'm not proud of my self but to improve my self.

Rea

Personal development enhances the way we live our lives. It also makes us uncover new possibilities within our selves that propels us to achieve goals in different areas in our lives. My interest in personal development began when I read a book that narrated stories of successful people. And, Oh, Boy! it indeed had a pull on me. It was like I was brought to another dimension, feeling their emotions, understanding their ideas, and as if I were hearing their thoughts. It's kind of magnetic and I love it!:)

While most of us seek for enlightenment on self-growth through various tools like self-help books, and lectures from the biggest names in the personal development industry (a lot of them I find truly amazing), I am also comforted by a number of highly regarded personal growth technologies to use such as EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique) and Brain Entrainment which basically puts me in a state of whole brain thinking. These are just some of the real science behind personal development since they are based on the highest modern standards of objective proof and, undoubtedly, have been proven to work.

Kerwyn

When we speak of personal development we can also look at the ability to adjust ones attitude. This lies on the more intangible side of our development as we seek to develop greater control over our own being, and have greater control over our mind. The following is just a lil something from a book I wrote..........

A big asset in life is understanding how to change clothes.
Clothing is representative of a covering, and a covering is that
which covers you, protecting you from external influences and
conditions. Different seasons call for different clothes; sometimes
clothes get worn out and need to be changed. The covering of a
house may need occasional renovation and repair. In both cases it
is easy to imagine the negative consequences of poor coverings in
adverse environmental conditions. The covering that will be
discussed is your attitude, and the environmental conditions are
life’s trials. Life is like the weather, and there will always be
seasons of increased stormy activity. These storms will beat upon
you, unleashing a wide variety of elements. What was discussed
previously would help lay the foundation, but the intent of a
foundation is to build a structure on it. If the storms cannot move
your foundation, they will attempt to destroy or destabilize the
structure. Just as a structure does not build itself but must be built
by us, our attitudes need to be carefully engineered and laid down
properly.
You must like a wise builder carefully lay down the building
blocks of your attitude, in order to have a good building. You must
be able to put on the right attitude. A wrong attitude is like a brick
that is broken or not aligned properly; the skilled builder does not
leave it as is, but resets it or replaces it if necessary. Sometimes our
attitudes may need adjusting, and there are those which need to be
replaced. As the builder has power over the bricks, so to you have
the power over your attitudes. People generally have attitudes that
are fair to fine. These are the manifested attitudes when things are
good, or not too bad. It is the storms that bring up the worst in us.
Many trees look mighty and majestic before a storm; after the
storm however, every rotten tree or branch is identified because
they do not stand. If during a storm your attitude is not one that
allows to stand; to bend without breaking and to ride it out with the
hope of moving on afterwards, these attitudes must go.

Personal development is the study and practice of improving one’s life, especially our career, education, relationships, health, happiness, productivity, spirituality, and other personal goals. Common aspects of personal development include goal setting, motivation, changing habits, improving awareness, identifying one’s values and beliefs, and self-actualization.

dbersales

One of the things that human beings crave the most in life is control. The ability to control and manipulate events and circumstances around us in order to produce the desired outcome is an ideal that most of us could only dreamed of due to our inherent limitations. Personal development then, is the key to increase the likelihood of exercising greater control over the circumstances that surround us. Its either that we are unwitting victims of every circumstance that life throws our way or we are among those who rise beyond our present limitations to take charge of our lives and forcibly steer it in the direction we wanted.

Personal development is of paramount importance to us if we want to live life to the fullest. Before we can attempt to change the world or any part of it for the better, there need to be some changes to occur within us first for all of this to happen.

rajesh

i agree,
Personal development includes activities that improve awareness and identity, develop talents and potential, build human capital and facilitates employability, enhance quality of life and contribute to the realization of dreams and aspirations. The concept is not limited to self-help but includes formal and informal activities for developing others in roles such as teacher, guide, counselor, manager, life coach or mentor. When personal development takes place in the context of institutions, it refers to the methods, programs, tools, techniques, and assessment systems that support human development at the individual level in organizations.[1]
At the level of the individual, personal development includes the following activities:

CynthiaD

wow i have thoroughly read all the discussions it's great by the way

Personal development is a process of individual self-development and the development of others its objective is to make changes or improve certain areas of your life that you are not satisfied with

CynthiaD

wow i have thoroughly read all the discussions it's great by the way

Personal development is a process of individual self-development and the development of others its objective is to make changes or improve certain areas of your life that you are not satisfied with

In my case Personal Development happens in us everyday, it is on how we adapt on different situations daily and build up our own mental stability.