What is Personal Development?

radascars

Advisor Member
How does a rich person attain his/her personal growth if he/she can afford to have everything? This bothers me when back reading your comments about developing our personality. I think some of the possibilities but I'd like to hear some of opinions here. :)

MoreSuccess

Senior Advisor
Staff member
How does a rich person attain his/her personal growth if he/she can afford to have everything? This bothers me when back reading your comments about developing our personality. I think some of the possibilities but I'd like to hear some of opinions here. :)
I think it depends on how focused they are on the "having". If they are focused on possessions then they will never be happy, take this guy for example. It's really about the "achieving" where we grow and find satisfaction. I think an analogy is mountain climbers, they do it not to get to the top, but to prove to themselves they can achieve something difficult, and they grow in the process. Life is also about relationships with others, helping others, and personal/spiritual growth where we grow in our beliefs and skills.

krimsonklein

One should always try to better themselves, because there is no 'perfect' you. You can always improve, you can always be better. This being said, the fact that we can always be better gives flavor to life. It allows us to think of new, innovative ways to think, act, and react. It allows us to be creative, to strive for a better tomorrow.

I personally do not have a specific reason to want to better myself, but this does not limit my passion of improving the way I speak, judge, act. Honestly, I feel that if everyone tried to do one thing better everyday, we would be living in a Utopian society in no time.

Estefani

I agree with most of you here. Personal Development begins from within one's self. However, it does involve the people around us a lot more than we think. We are but a sum of the people we meet and places we visit. One can choose to behave in any way one sees fit, but it is others who will shape our actions to be "proper" and soon that will become what we "want" to be. As wrong as that might sound though, most times it's for the best to let others guide you a little bit.

Bassie Garret

I agree
Personal development is important for also confidence.
Personal development is something most of us do on a day-to-day basis without even knowing it: it's a development of yourself.

Neobian

I divide by "Personal" or "Self" into four parts - BODY, MIND, HEART, SPIRIT
Then i deliberately weed out all negativity and consciously replace them with positivity (habits, attitudes, virtues, skills etc) so that in due course i will reach enlightenment before my life ends here.

songbird

Everyday I strive to be a better person. My goal is to become a more balanced individual spiritually, mentally, physically socially and financially. I am much stronger in some areas than in others. I find that most of the time I try to improve my situation, but there are times when a huge trial comes and after I work through it I have found that I have grown and developed into a stronger person. The trials in life have helped me do things that I never thought possible.

Girl'vivalist Meg

Personal development for me was an all changing all over experience. I was not happy where I was in life. I was working a dead end job that was literally a job and nothing more. My faith/belief/spiritual life was on a downward spiral. I was in a relationship that wasn't at all what it needed to be. I was just not happy over all. Personal development was about me developing the life I wanted from the life I had. It wasn't about closing the door or saying that everything in my present and past was useless. It was about using my past and present along with my knowledge and some thought and developing the person that I knew I was and wanted to be.

Krystle A.

Hello everyone! This is a great discussion going on here and I am glad I found this forum. Looks like a lot of like-minded people as myself gather here to grow together and share good insight. Thanks to all of you who shared good pointers- I will apply them to my life. I am on a journey as well to further growing as a person and I share what I learn through books I read and people I meet on my blog www.whatislove247.blogspot.com. Hope you all can check it out! Good luck to all of you as you develop to the person you are meant to become! Looking forward to meeting all of you!

Mark

Some of you may wonder what is meant by "personal development". Personal development is also referred to as "self improvement", "personal growth", or "self help" however I like this term the best. Personal Development is simply about improving yourself in whatever areas you'd like, which typically means improving or changing skills, attitudes, or beliefs that will help lead to the desired effect. That desired effect could vary, maybe it's just to be more happy, or maybe to make more money, to save or create a relationship, or even get over a fear such as public speaking. If you're one to feel you are already perfect in all ways then this is not for you, however most of us will admit we have room to better ourselves. Some arrive at an interest in personal development only after they get so frustrated with their current situation that they truly open their mind to change.

So why would we listen to someone else for advice? A favorite author/speaker of mine named Brian Tracy said it well: "No one lives long enough to learn everything they need to learn starting from scratch. To be successful, we absolutely, positively have to find people who have already paid the price to learn the things that we need to learn to achieve our goals".

The last thing I'll say about personal development is that it crosses the entire world, all cultures and all religions. We all have the ability and the desire (most of us) to improve, and that can be as simple as learning to communicate more effectively, or more complicated such as learning the techniques of writing well or speaking effectively in front of others.

I welcome your thoughts on this subject, do you strive to better yourself? Have you always been that way or did something trigger it during the course of your life?
Personal Development is essential for succeeding. If you are not continually improving yourself then you are going backwards. To your point as why you should listen to someone else for advice, just look at professional athletes they still need coaches to keep them on track.

Michael Costello

That's a good personal growth!

I read something before about visualization, if you visualize things that you want or visualize your self into something more developmental you will attain it with effort obviously, just believe in the power of mind.
Yes. I agree the power of the mind is awesome. Its biggest task to my mind is to understand myself, my motivations, my hang ups, my faults and bias but above all my strengths. Every inch of understanding of myself I achieve is worth its weight in gold in terms of my personal development. The more I understand myself the better I can relate to others and sort our the key issues of the day.
cheers

P

Positive_Abe

I want to better myself. I've always tried to do well at school and have succeeded in graduating from college with a double major. It's something I'm proud of, but I want to improve myself even more as a person because book smarts is not everything. There are skills that I need to develop such as public speaking, my communication skills, and my self-esteem. I constantly doubt myself and my abilities even though experience and other people have told me that I can do things well and be successful at them.

I think the desire to improve myself comes from the people that I surround myself with. I want to be a better person for the people I love. I want to grow to become independent, self-sufficient, and successful in order to give back to my parents and to be able to provide for my family. I don't want to be one of those children that just live off of their parents and don't give back to them to show my appreciation. My mother was also a great inspiration. She raised me as a single mother. Although I wasn't able to get everything that I wanted, I didn't have to starve one day. She's been working 7 days a week since I was 9 and I think that she deserves to have a daughter who's just as self sufficient and independent as she is.

I guess it's the role models I have in my life that push me to be a better person.
Chrissy, I can totally relate to you. The skills that you want to develop, it all comes with you having a desire to develop them and getting out of your comfort zone. If you doubt, you can't have that—not even a single drop—you have to completely believe in yourself. When believing in yourself and if the first times you still doubt, is normal because is a process, but the following times you won't, however, that's if you choose to overcome that doubt.

It seems you have a strong desire to give back to your parents, that is great...I was also raised by a single mother for 23 years and has been working 7 days a week, and working all her life. She will be 56 this October and still working. I said to myself, "that is enough." My goal is to retire her by the time she turns 60, it will give me some time to build my income to be able to do that. To me, having my mom work after 60 is unacceptable. She has sacrificed so much for me that is time for me to give her a better life.

Best wishes! :)

Memphian Michael

I think your assessment of what 'personal development' is about right on target; however, I thought I'd share what the phrase means to me.

Personal development (aka 'self-enhancement') is, fundamentally, about developing the self into a more well-rounded, better adjusted one. It means taking your life at face value and building upon it to become the person and/or achieve the goal(s) that you've always dreamed of, yet never settling.

In the words of various people in history, success is never the destination (which may or may not ever materialize completely) but rather, the journey.

MariaM

I agree that having someone to give us an opinion when we are stuck is wonderful as long as that person does not have a controlling personality. I like people who can share their perspective with me and then step aside, letting me make my decisions. I resonate with Buddha, who taught his sangha -- his community of followers -- to trust its own experience. He did not ask anyone to believe in what he said, but to go inward through meditation to find out what was true to her, to quiet the mind and listen to her heart. I believe our souls have the same wisdom as that person Brian Tracy refers to, who already knows what we still need to learn. We have to connect with that spiritual essence of ours to grow.

Kate_W

attentionshift

Personal Development is the method to recognize your strengths and weaknesses. You should use your strengths to overcome your weaknesses and make yourself capable of achieving the things you want.

summerRain

Personal Development.

The first time that I encountered those words, I immediately thought that is is all about "Personal Growth", improving of your own self, doing things that will make you a BETTER person. But as I continue to live, day by day I realized that it is not only about myself. It is not only about self-development or self-improvement. It is also about helping other people to develop themselves.

We all have our own duties and responsibilities in life. I developed myself and I really strive harder to become a nurse. I thought that once I get my license, it is already my achievement.. I am wrong. As a nurse, I know that I should help my patients. I should do my duty to help them, not only by giving medicines, doing the necessary nursing interventions, and so forth. I should also inspire them. I should also be a counselor, I can be a friend. There are a lot of roles that I can play in order to help other people.

I found my satisfaction on that thing. I found my satisfaction when there is someone that I helped emotionally.

From that day, my perception about "Personal Development" changes. "No Man is an Island" As you help other people to improve themselves, you are also helping yourself.

MoreSuccess

Senior Advisor
Staff member
Great points summerRain. There is a relationship between helping others and being happy that some people don't seem to get. This is true on both a practical and spiritual level, however one wants to view it. The few times I was in a hospital, the thing that meant the most to me and stays in my memory are the nurses who really cared about me. They would take the time to ask how I was doing, offer me a warm blanket, etc., not just do the minimum of their job. It was clear they were enjoying their work and not "just a job". Not everyone is fortunate to have a job they enjoy doing, let alone a job at all, but when one does have that, they really should appreciate it.

Socrates II

Personal development, if I may put it very crudely, is to strive to be better today than I was yesterday; and to strive to be better tomorrow than I am today. This is a very general statement, and presented in this way can be said to be a universal desire.

When you get down to specifics, however, there is a wide variation in desires and goals. One of the determinants of the specific goals is the age of the person. At a young age, when almost everything lies before you, yet to be attempted, attained, the world appears to be waiting to be conquered.

In middle age, the goals change because some things have been achieved, and newer challenges now lie ahead. Many of the ambitions of younger years may have been unachievable; many may have lost the allure they had when the person was younger and had a more romantic outlook.

And so it continues into old age. Most challenges have been overcome; life is not only about material achievements at this stage. More personal and spiritual desires and goals now become prominent. There is perhaps none of the sense of urgency there might have been in young age; there is a more relaxed approach to life.

After this generalization, when I come to my own view of personal development, bearing in mind that I'm now into old age, my desire is to continue to do what I'm doing. I don't challenge myself in any way. I don't pressure myself in any way. I don't hold up a yardstick to measure my progress. As long as I'm doing what I like doing; as long as I can continue to do the things I enjoy doing; I feel life is worthwhile.

As my favorite activities are reading, writing, and discussions, there is naturally growth in the continuation of these activities. But I neither think of them, nor do them, for reasons of growth. I do them because they make me happy. Growth is a by-product.

SifuPhil

While I agree with most of the foregoing comments I am reminded of the admonition made in Taoist philosophy to remain non-competitive. I see it as very possible that one could become so enamored with self-development that they become addicted to the process. They measure and plan and schedule and strive for the goal of becoming better and better.

In this scenario it would be simplicity itself to become a "self-help junkie". Look in the bookstores or on Amazon.com - many of the bestsellers are self-help books. Look at some of the astounding fees charged for self-development seminars that deliver only re-hashed motivational slogans, yet draw thousands of eager attendees annually. The Gurus of the industry (for that is what it has largely become) take no prisoners; while they smile and utter positive statements at the podium their hands are out of sight counting their "take". It's become far too easy and fashionable to mix together some down-home wisdom, a few earthy witticisms and a pinch of Eastern philosophy and proclaim it the latest and greatest of personal development "systems".

Striving creates strife; competition breeds resentment and obsession. Taoism explains that by seeking to merely be "average" (neither driven nor totally slack) we avoid these wide swings of emotional and, ultimately, physical traps.