What is Personal Development?

Shaun

Don't ever feel bad because you make the same mistake as others when you've witnessed them make this mistake. Growth comes from making our own mistakes (sometimes over and over again!) and learning from them and success comes from personal failure. I'm impressed that you are here and discussing these things at 17, I wish I had of been! That's something to be proud of :)
I'm 17. So, I'm still young and learning so many things as I grow older. I do strive to be more developed and so I agree with this post. Sometimes though, I fail at learning from other's mistakes. I end up going through the same mistake, but I guess that's life sometimes. Luckily, I've met a few people who's helped in my growth. Especially my parents, they've helped me the most.
Hi lockirawr,

What a wonderful attitude to have for a 17 year old, I'm blown away!

When I was 17, I was more interested in being cool and hangining out at the popular malls. You have a great maturity despite your tender age, and this attitude will set you up greatly in life. Push on!!

Towards your Continued Success,
Shaun

Last edited by a moderator:

Angie Necole

Advisor Member
We can improve on any areas of our life. Because it's "our" life, that to me makes it personal development. If you're trying to improve any skills you may have, you eating habits, your exercise routine. As long as you're working on trying to improve some aspect of your life, you are working on personal development.

Hi All,

I am new member in this forum.

Personality is a bunch of our "Habits and Skills".

Personality Development is not a One day course. We have to constant improve in ourself with day by day basis. For personality development we need to set a goal and achieve by step by step.

For improving personality best way of reading books of Personality Development.

Thanks & regards,

Vikas Gaikwad
www.personalitydose.com

Ricardo Ortiz

Advisor Member
Some of you may wonder what is meant by "personal development". Personal development is also referred to as "self improvement", "personal growth", or "self help" however I like this term the best. Personal Development is simply about improving yourself in whatever areas you'd like, which typically means improving or changing skills, attitudes, or beliefs that will help lead to the desired effect. That desired effect could vary, maybe it's just to be more happy, or maybe to make more money, to save or create a relationship, or even get over a fear such as public speaking. If you're one to feel you are already perfect in all ways then this is not for you, however most of us will admit we have room to better ourselves. Some arrive at an interest in personal development only after they get so frustrated with their current situation that they truly open their mind to change.

So why would we listen to someone else for advice? A favorite author/speaker of mine named Brian Tracy said it well: "No one lives long enough to learn everything they need to learn starting from scratch. To be successful, we absolutely, positively have to find people who have already paid the price to learn the things that we need to learn to achieve our goals".

The last thing I'll say about personal development is that it crosses the entire world, all cultures and all religions. We all have the ability and the desire (most of us) to improve, and that can be as simple as learning to communicate more effectively, or more complicated such as learning the techniques of writing well or speaking effectively in front of others.

I welcome your thoughts on this subject, do you strive to better yourself? Have you always been that way or did something trigger it during the course of your life?

The beautiful part of being a human being is we are limit less. We are infinite beings desiring to expand and grow. It is the Big Bang inside of us when we find our purpose or awakening. The beautiful about self I provement is as a human being our nature is to grow as close as possible to that awakening or bang. That is one reason Why the idea of growing or self Improvement is burning inside me.

delboy491

Advisor Member
I agree about visualization by Radascars but for me it's about emotion as well. If you can see it with your minds eye and feel it as if you already have it ( whatever it may be ) you will attract it.
But it's not all good I'm afraid..You can attract the bad things in life as well..We are all constantly attracting good and bad.
We are all programmed from an early age when our brain is like a sponge soaking everything up from our parents and their beliefs and people around us.
And all this is locked in your subconscious mind,hard wired to act like a safety mechanism to protect you.

Hello sir!
Thank you very much for this amazing and positive post!
I am new in this forum and this is the first post I have read and it is for sure a great starting! Thank you sir!
For struggling with self improvement, actually, I think that this area of my life has occupied all the areas of my life, it has been entering in everything, I feel I am disappointed and stupid , I do not believe that I am like the other having talents and can be successful at something, I just believe the criticism and judgement I received when I was younger, I think in them all the time and this made me unsuccessful today and very lazy to do the normal things.
My biggest problem which does prevent me of development is that I do not believe that I have a problem must be solved, I cannot see it while I am failure and suffering from self-hatred all the time, I cannot look at the mirror with a complete acceptance or say lovely words to myself, I cannot even talk about myself with good words in front of others due to my fear of negative judgement, I cannot say no to the people who judge or criticize me because I fear being alone and that their judgments will come true, sir, I have reached a point in my life in which I feel like I have decided not to love and accept myself because I said no to pain.
I would like to hear your advice!
Thank you very much sir!

Love the Tracy. Personal development is a never ending strive to be your best self. Improving yourself to a level where you are inspiring/influencing others.

I agree about visualization by Radascars but for me it's about emotion as well. If you can see it with your minds eye and feel it as if you already have it ( whatever it may be ) you will attract it.
But it's not all good I'm afraid..You can attract the bad things in life as well..We are all constantly attracting good and bad.
We are all programmed from an early age when our brain is like a sponge soaking everything up from our parents and their beliefs and people around us.
And all this is locked in your subconscious mind,hard wired to act like a safety mechanism to protect you.
Idk if we attract bad. But what I will say is whenever I drop one bad habit, my mind searches for another. I don't understand it yet.

delboy491

Advisor Member
If you feel a little skeptical about the role of visualization and feelings, or as a lot of people like to call it "The law of Attraction" ask yourself: why is my life this way? Why is my life better than others or why are other people more successful than me? Your life now is the direct result of what you have thought before. Past thoughts, present thoughts and future thoughts all have a direct impact on your life.
"The law of attraction" is not wishful thinking. It is not just positive thinking. Alone, thinking will not give you the things you want. There must be an accompanying energy or action – this is called determination. Determination is life itself. The combination of time, energy and action. Without determination, there will be stasis, emptiness, nothing.
You also need to try and be aware of your thoughts and you can gauge this with how you are feeling.If you feel happy then you are in a positive state , if sad then you are in a negative state..so your feelings help you a lot.
But remember a good starting point is to love yourself...HONESTLY!! ..There is no other feeling that is more positive........

If you feel a little skeptical about the role of visualization and feelings, or as a lot of people like to call it "The law of Attraction" ask yourself: why is my life this way? Why is my life better than others or why are other people more successful than me? Your life now is the direct result of what you have thought before. Past thoughts, present thoughts and future thoughts all have a direct impact on your life.
"The law of attraction" is not wishful thinking. It is not just positive thinking. Alone, thinking will not give you the things you want. There must be an accompanying energy or action – this is called determination. Determination is life itself. The combination of time, energy and action. Without determination, there will be stasis, emptiness, nothing.
You also need to try and be aware of your thoughts and you can gauge this with how you are feeling.If you feel happy then you are in a positive state , if sad then you are in a negative state..so your feelings help you a lot.
But remember a good starting point is to love yourself...HONESTLY!! ..There is no other feeling that is more positive........
Thanks for posting this sir :)

Thank you for creating this forum.

I can't wait to share what I know and gain from others the knowledge and experience which they have accumulated throughout their years. I absolutely love personal development and I believe every human being on earth can benefit from the study and improvement of oneself. Like Tony Robbins said, "If we stop growing, we die". What an amazing leader he is together with Jim Rohn and Brian Tracy. Did you guys know that Jim Rohn was Tony Robbins' mentor / coach?

My goal is to eventually meet up and form groups like this but groups that have a physical presence.

Anyway, keen to get involved in the conversations.

Cheers guys!

I always want to be the best. The best at everything that I do. But I was trying to learn and develop many aspects of my life without learning the most important thing first: Myself

Fast forward 2016, I found a blog about personal development and fall in love with it. Since then my goal is to better myself, be the best at what I do and helps others better themselves.

And maybe, form a group of people of world changers.

It's nice to be part of this conversation.
Cheers!

Brian Tracy is one of my favorite personal development gurus ever. I have read so many of his books in the past, especially when I was pregnant with my daughter. I was trying to find ways to stabilize my emotional life and bring myself to a happy place where I could finally like myself for who I was and not what others thought I should be. Around the same time, I started listening to Tony Robins on tape and that really changed my life. I'm always reading and studying and trying to improve my emotional, physical and spiritual state so that I can enjoy the perfect union of mind, body and spirit.

Thanks for this wonderful site.

I hope that I can read more of the wonderful personal development articles and advice on this site and find ways to improve myself even more.

I love Brian tracy too
His talk on how to close a sale when he was young was incredible:

Personal development is an amazing thing! I love the process of overcoming challenges and learning new things. I always seek the next level because the process of self improvement is addicting to me. I get great satisfaction out of pushing myself forward in life.

There are some habits by following them you can develop yourself or self-improve. Once you continue on the path of self-improvement sooner or later you will become a better person or become successful in your life visit the link below to find out those habits

I strive to better myself physically and mentally. It takes a lot of willpower to get outside or get on with work that you've always wanted to do.
For example, I've always wanted to lead this exercise and diet regime which will help me get healthier and more muscular - but my willpower is lacking. I'm hoping to strengthen myself through various means in terms of strengthening my willpower.
I feel you man willpower is one of our greatest powers as people I've been learning a lot about it since I was 14 because I started wrestling then, and I'm a Jiu jitsu fighter now I'm beginning to realize that mind over matter is a very true statement. Bob proctor talks about it a whole lot about how the subconscious mind is the creative medium that determines our results

Mick IOM

Coaching Member
For me, personal development means to grow every single day in some aspect of life. This could be anything from learning something new, implementing new habits, maintaining high energy levels and such.

I believe that the worst thing we can do is something that we will later regret. Something that's eating away all of your energy while you know it, and you still allow it to do so. From my own experience, I used to game a lot. There's nothing wrong with that in particular, but it becomes a problem when it's sucking up all of your energy.

Once something "bad" becomes a habit, that's where the problem arises. I don't think I've to tell you what a bad habit is for you, you'll feel this within yourself. When this happens I believe that personal development is there to acknowledge this habit, learn about this habit, and then reinforce it with a better habit.

I also believe that the most important thing that we can do is to learn. Most people stop learning once they get out of school. And guess what, from my own observation most people are not satisfied with where they're in their life. But how can they, if they haven't tried or learned anything new?

Personal development doesn't mean you need to read books about neurology and understand how the mind works. This can be of great knowledge for you to understand, but it's much more important to find something you enjoy. Find something you're passionate about and something that moves you deeply to learn more about.

The modern educational system failed us to teach that learning can be fun. That's probably why most people don't touch a book from the minute they walk out of college. It's your own responsibility to find something that you truly love and then learn as much as you can. It's all about enjoying life. To enjoy your life you've to learn and experience new things. That's for me what personal development is all about.

Elhama

Coaching Member
Hi Mick IOM,
I agree with you about most of what wrote about personal development. I especially like your following words:
Personal development doesn't mean you need to read books about neurology and understand how the mind works. This can be of great knowledge for you to understand, but it's much more important to find something you enjoy. Find something you're passionate about and something that moves you deeply to learn more about.

The modern educational system failed us to teach that learning can be fun. That's probably why most people don't touch a book from the minute they walk out of college. It's your own responsibility to find something that you truly love and then learn as much as you can.
However, I think to say it is all about enjoying life may give the impression that it is just some kind of luxury. I believe it is more accurate to say that personal development is about how to effectively live life, and sometimes, in extreme cases, it is necessary to the degree that it becomes about how to just live life.

Mick IOM

Coaching Member
Hi Elma,
Thank you for sharing that with me Elhama. I love to exchange ideas with like-minded people.

However, I think to say it is all about enjoying life may give the impression that it is just some kind of luxury.
Can you please tell me a little more about what you mean by this? Am I correctly understanding that you're saying that what I said gives the impression that enjoying life is some kind of luxury?

I believe it is more accurate to say that personal development is about how to effectively live life, and sometimes, in extreme cases, it is necessary to the degree that it becomes about how to just live life.
Yes I love that Elhama! You're spot on with that in my opinion. Although I believe (and this belief is shaped from my own experiences) that continious learning allows you to learn life effectively. Also, since I started learning more about myself, through the knowledge of others (books), I started to figure out how "to just live life". That's the only reason that I'm where I'm today.

If it wasn't for learning, I bet I would've been another internet troll searching for some interaction. Now I love myself completely and am on a journey to give back to world that what has transformed my life :)