What is Personal Development?

I aim to see personal growth every week. Most days there's something where I can think that I have learnt something new, or reacted in a better way than I would have previously done. It's a continuous journey, and one that I wish more people would make. I see so many people who moan about their situation, blame others, but don't stop and think that they could actually take action themselves. I aim to never be one of those people, and to teach my daughters that they can learn every day and achieve great things.
I could not have said it better myself. We have t0o many reactive people and not enough proactive people. People are always complaining about this and that but what they don't understand is that complaining is a zero return investment. People need to start taking action outside of their comfort zones and understand the struggle before critising and condemning someone else.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tallstack

I believe all we really have to do is get rid of the belief that we are inferior, or phonies, or that if something doesn't work out the way we wanted there's something wrong with us.

Maybe we were unrealistic, didn't study hard enough or whatever. But we still haven't lost any of our self worth. No matter what we do we can't lose any of our self worth.

We always deserve all the credit for the good and bad results. But if we want to improve we can. We may never be the best at something but doesn't mean we can't be successful.

Steve Jobs wasn't a particurly good programmer, sales person or money raiser but he was good enough to put all those things together and build something from nothing.

What I'm saying is we're all fallible. More in some roles than others, less in other roles. If we so choose we can probably improve in a lot of those roles. But, we can't lose self worth no matter what.

Rinat Saber

Some of you may wonder what is meant by "personal development". Personal development is also referred to as "self improvement", "personal growth", or "self help" however I like this term the best. Personal Development is simply about improving yourself in whatever areas you'd like, which typically means improving or changing skills, attitudes, or beliefs that will help lead to the desired effect. That desired effect could vary, maybe it's just to be more happy, or maybe to make more money, to save or create a relationship, or even get over a fear such as public speaking. If you're one to feel you are already perfect in all ways then this is not for you, however most of us will admit we have room to better ourselves. Some arrive at an interest in personal development only after they get so frustrated with their current situation that they truly open their mind to change.

So why would we listen to someone else for advice? A favorite author/speaker of mine named Brian Tracy said it well: "No one lives long enough to learn everything they need to learn starting from scratch. To be successful, we absolutely, positively have to find people who have already paid the price to learn the things that we need to learn to achieve our goals".

The last thing I'll say about personal development is that it crosses the entire world, all cultures and all religions. We all have the ability and the desire (most of us) to improve, and that can be as simple as learning to communicate more effectively, or more complicated such as learning the techniques of writing well or speaking effectively in front of others.

I welcome your thoughts on this subject, do you strive to better yourself? Have you always been that way or did something trigger it during the course of your life?

Love the quote from Brian Tracy. There truly no need to reinvent the wheel. That's why I love the concept of modeling. It's simple, someone has already been where you wan to go. Why try to figure it out on your own. Like Jim Rohn said, "Success leaves clues." I've personally found that success in anything is a predictable process. If you plant an apple seed your going to get apples. If you plant an oak tree you will reap the like.
I was studying at Andrews Theological Seminary for my Master's in Divinity and I just couldn't understand why I felt so depressed. How could and aspring minister me be depressed. That's when I stumbled upon Jim Rohn (love that guy, God rest his soul)!
I was inspired to become certified in life coaching which helped in a tramendous way my level of fulfillment and the energy I show up with energy to build book club and coach people. That's how I started on this journey and personal development truly does cross all bounderies including religions and cultures. That's what love about it. P-D is a human experience, not reserved for some lofty group of people.

radtech

Growing up I always listened to Tony Robbins and still do. Not long ago I found Jim Rohn and found out that he was Tony's mentor! I thought to myself Wow, this guy is incredible and has such straight to the heart messages. After listening to his, The Art of Achievement CDs I grabbed his 24 pack series on self-improvement. The package came and once opened I noticed quickly these were cassettes. I grew up listening to cassettes so I went, bought a cassette player and listened to all of them at least twice and some of the tapes quite a bit. Moral to the story is Jim is incredible and yes rest his soul.

My personal development journey began back in the early 90's and I haven't stopped since. As someone mentioned before me on this thread that listening to audiobooks and such are the ticket. I talk about this in a couple of my books, "Unlocking the Truth" and "The Art of Achieving Happiness" because so many people waste soooooo much time driving to and from work. It's been said that after a couple years it amounts to an Associates Degree!

Self-improvement is where it's at. It's ashamed that so many grown-ups don't pursue this area with more passion or pursue it at all.

chrissel

For me, improving myself means changing the whole lifestyle. At the beginning, I started with reading books, I bought few kindle books for example "Success" , "7 habits of highly effective people" and as well paperback of the book "Habit: Change your habits to fill your life with success" (hint: I bought it for 13$ and a few days later I found out that I could get it for free) . But back to business, I implied those tactics and changed my whole life - whole daily routine and I feel much better. I am highly motivated, productive and as well my physical appearance got much better

Dalibor

http://www.personal-development.com/jim-rohn/miracle.htm is one of my favorite articles describing personal development by one of the original great teachers on the subject Jim Rohn. I'm not sure if I believe the statement in there about dividing money equally, however I like the axioms in caps.
I love Jim and I think lots of stuff he is talking about we should give to students which decided to be teachers in kindergartens, schools and universities so our kids can learn true wisdom from young age and not as some of us in late 30s, 40s, 50s or even 60s if we are lucky enough to stumble upon personal development. My experience with Jim, Brian Tracy, Stephen Covey and others would never exist if I didn't have big health issues and in that period of my life I realized the life is more than what I knew and saw until then. Lot more than average person see or is aware of. With so many distractions today and our limited education (in important life issues and principles) during school years it is hard to notice other "worlds" around us - one of them is personal development world.

Personally I agree with Jim and his statement "If you took all the money in the world and divided it equally among everybody, it would soon be back in the same pockets it was before." because it is like giving 3 year old sport car and expecting he would drive it safely. I guess my opinion is confirmed by Jim axioms in caps:

--TO HAVE MORE THAN YOU'VE GOT, BECOME MORE THAN YOU ARE-- it is same with the money if you got more money to keep it you need to learn how to do that and eliminate poor habits that prevented you to have more money in the first place
--UNLESS YOU CHANGE HOW YOU ARE, YOU'LL ALWAYS HAVE WHAT YOU'VE GOT-- as Jim Rohn said in one of his seminar is - "If someone hands you a million dollars, best you become a millionaire, or you won't get to keep the money."

Arlin Fehr

Personally I agree with Jim and his statement "If you took all the money in the world and divided it equally among everybody, it would soon be back in the same pockets it was before." because it is like giving 3 year old sport car and expecting he would drive it safely. I guess my opinion is confirmed by Jim axioms in caps:
I really agree with this. I mean I've heard stories of lottery winners who just saw their life turn into a living hell after winning the big dollars. They simply weren't ready to think like the rich think.

If you gave a wealthy person that same kind of windfall, they'd probably double or triple it in a few years, rather than squander it all away.

Personal development allows us to grow bigger lives than what we had before. Now of course I don't mean we're all going to be stupid rich, but we will become rich in some things. As I've followed my own journey of self improvement, I've seen that I am happier, more energetic, and just generally enjoying life more. It's expanded my joy of living. It's allowed me to take more into my life without making it uncomfortable.

Growth is growth, it means getting bigger than we were in the aspect that is growing.

Sukhveer Singh

Coaching Member
Personal Development is working on yourself... Figuring out what`s the Purpose of my life..

Working of your higher mind faculties , and achieving your purpose everyday by working in harmony with Natural Laws.

Chrissy

Personal development to me means just that developing yourself personally. To strive to do the best in whatever we find personally important to ourselves. For me it's to be the best mom and husband I can be to my family and to help others in any way I can.

Laurence

Wow. Couldn't agree more. I'm only 21 and recently had the chance to discover more about all of this a few months ago during my travels through a center that offered a program on personal development in brazil. It has changed my hole perception about life. I always strive to become better in everything I did which also includes becoming better as a human being but never truly had the tools to do so efficiently. Once you get to know your purpose, values and goal while acknowledging your limiting beliefs you realize that you may do whatever you wish. It is simple and everything becomes possible. I LOVE Brian Tracy, thanks for the quote!

Dennielle Lee

Advisor Member
I'm 17. So, I'm still young and learning so many things as I grow older. I do strive to be more developed and so I agree with this post. Sometimes though, I fail at learning from other's mistakes. I end up going through the same mistake, but I guess that's life sometimes. Luckily, I've met a few people who's helped in my growth. Especially my parents, they've helped me the most.
Don't ever feel bad because you make the same mistake as others when you've witnessed them make this mistake. Growth comes from making our own mistakes (sometimes over and over again!) and learning from them and success comes from personal failure. I'm impressed that you are here and discussing these things at 17, I wish I had of been! That's something to be proud of :)

Shaun

Personal Development is about embarking on a never ending pursuit for improvement.

One should never let his/her past dictate the path for the future.

Personal Development is about the continuous betterment of one's Body, Mind and Spirit.

The human being is a gigantic complex network made up of trillions of cells. Everything that we say, think and do affect the metabolism of these individual cells, which in an entirety makes us who we are.

So PD is definitely essential to our lives. It is the compass which we base our direction and purpose on.

Towards your Continued Success,
Shaun

Shaun

Don't ever feel bad because you make the same mistake as others when you've witnessed them make this mistake. Growth comes from making our own mistakes (sometimes over and over again!) and learning from them and success comes from personal failure. I'm impressed that you are here and discussing these things at 17, I wish I had of been! That's something to be proud of :)
I'm 17. So, I'm still young and learning so many things as I grow older. I do strive to be more developed and so I agree with this post. Sometimes though, I fail at learning from other's mistakes. I end up going through the same mistake, but I guess that's life sometimes. Luckily, I've met a few people who's helped in my growth. Especially my parents, they've helped me the most.
Hi lockirawr,

What a wonderful attitude to have for a 17 year old, I'm blown away!

When I was 17, I was more interested in being cool and hangining out at the popular malls. You have a great maturity despite your tender age, and this attitude will set you up greatly in life. Push on!!

Towards your Continued Success,
Shaun

Angie Necole

Advisor Member
We can improve on any areas of our life. Because it's "our" life, that to me makes it personal development. If you're trying to improve any skills you may have, you eating habits, your exercise routine. As long as you're working on trying to improve some aspect of your life, you are working on personal development.

vikasgaikwad

Hi All,

I am new member in this forum.

Personality is a bunch of our "Habits and Skills".

Personality Development is not a One day course. We have to constant improve in ourself with day by day basis. For personality development we need to set a goal and achieve by step by step.

For improving personality best way of reading books of Personality Development.

Thanks & regards,

Vikas Gaikwad

Ricardo Ortiz

Advisor Member
Some of you may wonder what is meant by "personal development". Personal development is also referred to as "self improvement", "personal growth", or "self help" however I like this term the best. Personal Development is simply about improving yourself in whatever areas you'd like, which typically means improving or changing skills, attitudes, or beliefs that will help lead to the desired effect. That desired effect could vary, maybe it's just to be more happy, or maybe to make more money, to save or create a relationship, or even get over a fear such as public speaking. If you're one to feel you are already perfect in all ways then this is not for you, however most of us will admit we have room to better ourselves. Some arrive at an interest in personal development only after they get so frustrated with their current situation that they truly open their mind to change.

So why would we listen to someone else for advice? A favorite author/speaker of mine named Brian Tracy said it well: "No one lives long enough to learn everything they need to learn starting from scratch. To be successful, we absolutely, positively have to find people who have already paid the price to learn the things that we need to learn to achieve our goals".

The last thing I'll say about personal development is that it crosses the entire world, all cultures and all religions. We all have the ability and the desire (most of us) to improve, and that can be as simple as learning to communicate more effectively, or more complicated such as learning the techniques of writing well or speaking effectively in front of others.

I welcome your thoughts on this subject, do you strive to better yourself? Have you always been that way or did something trigger it during the course of your life?

The beautiful part of being a human being is we are limit less. We are infinite beings desiring to expand and grow. It is the Big Bang inside of us when we find our purpose or awakening. The beautiful about self I provement is as a human being our nature is to grow as close as possible to that awakening or bang. That is one reason Why the idea of growing or self Improvement is burning inside me.

delboy491

Advisor Member
I agree about visualization by Radascars but for me it's about emotion as well. If you can see it with your minds eye and feel it as if you already have it ( whatever it may be ) you will attract it.
But it's not all good I'm afraid..You can attract the bad things in life as well..We are all constantly attracting good and bad.
We are all programmed from an early age when our brain is like a sponge soaking everything up from our parents and their beliefs and people around us.
And all this is locked in your subconscious mind,hard wired to act like a safety mechanism to protect you.