What is Personal Development?

For me, personal development is a must. I have to do it. It's so fulfilling to know that if I don't like my life conditions, I can simply change them. It puts me in control of the situation and I feel like that's what the whole life is about. If you are not constantly growing in some way, you are not living. So personal development is really a proper way to live. One doesn't even have to ever hear about personal development and still follow it unconsciously. Our parents did it. Generations after generations, our ancestors have all gone through different stages of human development. On a smaller scale, people everyday are getting wiser in some way. I think the main challenge is that some of our desires and goals take longer to be manifested with the pace of our learning. Thus by following personal development, we are basically cutting that learning curve so that we can manifest our desires faster.

musahasan

In my view personal development fully depend upon you. It is all about how you live your life, what is your life goal or career goal and how much you achieve on behalf your goal. So as it is my life so it is fully depend upon my happiness and peace and how i handle it.

Al -Brando

Some of you may wonder what is meant by "personal development". Personal development is also referred to as "self improvement", "personal growth", or "self help" however I like this term the best. Personal Development is simply about improving yourself in whatever areas you'd like, which typically means improving or changing skills, attitudes, or beliefs that will help lead to the desired effect. That desired effect could vary, maybe it's just to be more happy, or maybe to make more money, to save or create a relationship, or even get over a fear such as public speaking. If you're one to feel you are already perfect in all ways then this is not for you, however most of us will admit we have room to better ourselves. Some arrive at an interest in personal development only after they get so frustrated with their current situation that they truly open their mind to change.

So why would we listen to someone else for advice? A favorite author/speaker of mine named Brian Tracy said it well: "No one lives long enough to learn everything they need to learn starting from scratch. To be successful, we absolutely, positively have to find people who have already paid the price to learn the things that we need to learn to achieve our goals".

The last thing I'll say about personal development is that it crosses the entire world, all cultures and all religions. We all have the ability and the desire (most of us) to improve, and that can be as simple as learning to communicate more effectively, or more complicated such as learning the techniques of writing well or speaking effectively in front of others.

I welcome your thoughts on this subject, do you strive to better yourself? Have you always been that way or did something trigger it during the course of your life?
Waoo, This is incredibly good information about the basics of Personal Development.I believe there is always a room to improve in any arras in personal life.I everyday wake up and learn new things .Meeting new people,exchanging views on culture,social areas help improve things in life.So personal development is very broad category so always learn and improve.Good days!

Seno

Advisor Member
I think EVERYBODY HAS AN OWN INTERPRETATION OF THIS "PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT" TERM.

I believe not to be boring in live and I have focused my whole energy on 4 main areas of life: Health, Wealth, Love and Happiness. Many people called them 4 pillars of life. And besides of Achievening the Success we have an Art of Fulfillment, which is even more important - to deeply FEEL success! Do you agree, guys? :)

Joan Gibbs

For me controlling your self in any bad situation is really important to achieve. Our life experiences we take everyday could help us to overcome any worst situation that may came along in our life.

Seno

Advisor Member
Hi Joan Gibbs!

For me controlling your self in any bad situation is really important to achieve.
Thanks for sharing with us this thought.
Definitely, controlling yourself in any bad situation is a very, very important skill that we have to learn. It's done mainly through emotional intelligence, emotional management.
This topic is very popular nowadays. For me Tony Robbins is an authority in that area, but in many others as well. He is a very good mentor. I hope I could join his seminrs someday and meet him personally. I've learnt a lot from his books and video trainings.

Obviosly, finding best mentors is a MUST for me and I recommend this for everybody on this forum. Nowadays I'm learning from Brian Tracy and Tai Lopez, both very nice and intelligent guys!
:)

I look forward to hearing from You what mentors you are listenning to ... :love:

Al -Brando

Personal Development: Empower Yourself for Better Choices in Life

Empowering yourself to make better choices in life can be done with some simple steps and great planning .Being the person you have always wanted to be can be easy to do, and provide some great steps for the future. Take action for yourself and your life, and make sure to do it with grace and positivity. Enjoy the little things, and get rid of those things that might stand in your way when the time comes.
Motivation is something that is hard for anyone. You need to have it in order to meet those goals that you set for yourself. With a lack of motivation, nothing gets done and you feel worse off then when you started.

Instead of this, consider these motivational tips to help you make better choices in life:

Do it with a friend - if you’re going to be exercising, invite a friend to go along with you. If you’re eating healthier, come together to create an awesome cook book with recipes that come with them.

Set a schedule - it might be difficult at first to stick with it, but with time, it will become like second nature. Whether it is eating healthier or exercising more, a schedule and plan helps keep everyone on track with whatever they need to do.

Use an app - applications on your phone are great for helping you stay focused. You can track your progress on any changes that you’re making and see the results as they go towards the goal that you set. Whatever it is that you’re working on changing; we bet there is an app for it.

Reward yourself with something - not necessarily junk food because you do not want to get into the routine of eating a whole tub of ice cream as a prize for eating healthy. However, how about a trip to the movies, or that cute top you found on sale at the store? By changing things up, giving yourself rewards and making the most
of the changes, you will improve your life.

Get everyone on board - when you’re the only one exercising or dieting in your home, then you need to make sure that everyone else is on board with healthier eating and exercising, as well. If you’re not smoking, make other smokers stop with you. Make it a group effort and this motivates everyone to make the change.
Once you make these changes, you will find out just how great life can be. Not only are you making future plans, but these stepping stones are making you into a better person. Youre the one that is making the change, and doing the work behind it, so feel good about the changes, about yourself and about the drive to succeed that so many people might not have, but you do!

Seno

Advisor Member
Set a schedule - it might be difficult at first to stick with it, but with time, it will become like second nature. Whether it is eating healthier or exercising more, a schedule and plan helps keep everyone on track with whatever they need to do.

I agree with that point...

Making a plan everyday is the most important thing you can do with your morning routins. Actually I have in mind the night before what I will do the nexy day when I get up. It sets you more focus on your goals, and makes getting up easier!!!

Jeff Grillo

Great post! I enjoyed reading it and agree whole-heartedly. I also like Brian Tracy and have found a lot of great, short and powerful videos on YouTube from him. To answer your question, I think I have always pursued personal development, at least in my adult life since age 19 . Fell in love with works by Zig Ziglar, Dale Carnegie and Les Brown to name a few. Brian Tracy I have only been reading and listening to for the past year or so. I face many challenges in my life and felt a need to do more than the average person to develop myself. I happen to be blind, a survivor of two forms of cancer, I deal with a couple heart issues, divorce and the list seems to go on and on! Today I wear many hats in that I have dedicated my life to helping others. I serve in full time ministry and have written and published two personal development books myself and speak for various groups and organizations. Anyway, again, enjoyed your post, keep it up! Jeff Grillo"The Excuse Assassin" www.jeffgrillo.com

Francis Sabutey

Wow! I really like the discussions on personal development!
Personal development is a life long learning process! It's the process of learning, developing and growing ourselves so we can become the best of ourselves! The more we learn, the more we grow and the more we grow the more we make progress in our lives! Personal development involves personal education, personal training and personal growth! Successful people attributes much of their success to personal development. That means the key to becoming the best in your career, business, relationship or any area of your life is to commit yourself to developing, training and growing yourself!

Ahmed Hesham

Advisor Member
Thank you MSuccess for this great forum.
I think that life is the best school for anyone to learn and get improved in case he/she learns from his/her mistakes.
We always gain knowledge & wisdom from talking to old people and learning lessons from real life, also I believe that success can be achieved with acquiring the right mindset and perseverance for whatever goal you want to reach.

RodaTL

Advisor Member
I agree with you on several points. I did reach the point when I got so frustrated with myself in terms of poor skill set, narrow comfort zone, and lack of flexibility in handling obstacles 8 years ago, that it forced me to finally open my mind to many, many changes in order to become who I am today. One of my favorite teachers is a Tibetan lama, Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche, who said that your true change starts when you feel deeply nauseous of yourself and within yourself. At the time, I was reading zen literature regularly, but it took years to throw away the "show-off" part of my motivations and get to the point. You become much more genuine with your desire to improve yourself once you have felt a real abyss in your life and have no choice BUT to do something different. I have been fortunate to experience several empty spaces that have prompted me to make the crucial changes and take the action steps necessary to keep growing. Luckily, my awakenings happened in ways that built upon each previous event. I know some people are not as fortunate and are forced to start from scratch time after time. Having read many, many inspirational books by successful people now, I know that it is a lifetime process but it doesn't scare me anymore. It's no longer rhetoric. It is a way of life.
The next point on which I can relate is you mentioning the basic things we need to come back to, in order to accomplish a desired change. Unfortunately, many of us simply choose to overcomplicate things by inventing problems to solve where they don't exist in the first place, in a sad self-manipulating fashion, believing we are creating a special image for the outside world, while the only ones we are deluding is ourselves.
I can't agree more that surrounding yourself with the right people is imperative to success in any area. Many times, people feel trapped in their current living conditions and succumb to low influences by those with whom they deem themselves bound to in one way or another. This is particularly true of women more so than men. But we must apply self-advocacy and strive to better our choices of friends if we want to see our dreams come true. Only that way can we help our loved ones and those who want our help. Thanks for posting.

Personal development for me, is really many aspects of life if not all, as well as a continuous growth.
I tend to use Stephen R. Covey terms:
- Body
- Mind
- Heart
- Spirit

To achieve this continuous growth I use various channels, like Youtube, Audio Books as well as Podcasts for example.

Financial independence is very dear to me lately so I also started to look into that (entrepreneurship/online businesses) and I'm considering it as part of my self-development. I'm also looking into psychology, whether for myself to work on some issues or looking at some YouTube channels talking about it.

I've recently attended my first self-development training, which was very confusing and confronting but a great experience. I've just finished the summary of my journey there is my blog (link in signature). I will attend more on these in the future for sure!

Last edited:

RodaTL

Advisor Member
This is really cool, Ongoinggrowing. Any self-improvement course that is worth pursuing will make you confront certain trends in yourself that prevent you from accomplishing your goals in life. The most successful students in these seminars are the ones with the strongest integrity to themselves. Not easy. I am very passionate about financial independence myself as I strongly believe it is crucial when it comes to making your dreams come true. Ever since I became a prudent investor, I have appreciated the true meaning of freedom, but a lot of responsibility comes with it, too. I am always willing to help people learn more about financial options and opportunities, but it makes it a challenge when most people have this very uncalled for aversion to money, which keeps them confined to situations that are less than desirable or favorable to them. It is hard to change certain mindsets.

Harry Japa

I completely agree with everything you have said...
Personal development is a universal language - we can all speak it.
I think that it is also a logical step in life - strive to better yourself. To bring more positivity into your own life and into other's.
I started my mission after going through some tough times and it was the best thing I have ever done. Sometimes you need to go down before you can go up

Tallstack

http://www.personal-development.com/jim-rohn/miracle.htm is one of my favorite articles describing personal development by one of the original great teachers on the subject Jim Rohn. I'm not sure if I believe the statement in there about dividing money equally, however I like the axioms in caps.
I do think he's correct about money ending up back where it started. For one thing I doubt that everyone has the same view concerning money or it's value. I enjoy seeing if I can make money or maybe more money but not for the sake of money itself but for the accomplishment. Can I push myself to overcome what obstacles are in my way? Personal growth one might call it.

Paul G

I aim to see personal growth every week. Most days there's something where I can think that I have learnt something new, or reacted in a better way than I would have previously done. It's a continuous journey, and one that I wish more people would make. I see so many people who moan about their situation, blame others, but don't stop and think that they could actually take action themselves. I aim to never be one of those people, and to teach my daughters that they can learn every day and achieve great things.