What is Personal Development?

AndrianTheGreat

For me, Personal Development, is growing yourself every single day. You learn everyday. You grow yourself everyday. You become better every single day.

I believe that life is about growing, learning, and teaching what we learn to others.

I started reading books about personality development about 3 years ago. And it has been one of the best decisions that I've made in my life. I've learned about the Purpose of my life (Rick Warren's Purpose Driven Life); I've become more a positive thinker (Norman Vincent Peale's The Power Of Positive Thinking);
I've learned to elevate my mindset in Thinking Rich by Napoleon Hills' Think and Grow Rich.. And many more books from Anthony Robbins, John Maxwell, T Har Eker, Dale Carnegie, Richard Carlson, Andrew Matthews, Brian Tracy, Zig Ziglar, Joyce Meyer, Joel Osteen. and many more, and of course The Bible.

It says in the Bible that "Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom." Proverbs 4:7

I believe that when we get wisdom every single day, that's like a food in our heart, soul, mind, and body.

Our LORD is always there to give us wisdom, to give us hope, to give us strength, and to give us everything that we need.
He is our creator. He knows everything about us.

When I've got to know Jesus Christ, everything has changed. My life has changed. My mindset has changed. And everyday I've been changing.
I want to improve myself more. I want to become more. So that when the right time comes, the calling GOD has given me to share with the world
will be accomplished, with GOD in the center.

I'm here in this world to glorify GOD. And whatever I do, I wanna honor Him. I wanna glorify Him.

I believe that's the essence of life -- to be used by GOD for His wonderful purpose in our lives.

Heart&MindofaLeader

I checked out the articles and found them all to be really amazing. Hope you don't mind if I bookmark those pages and come back later to do some more reading. I'm sure you're likely to see me over there lots in the near future.

One of the articles I had a chance to read over was "The Time to Act" by Jim Rohn. I'm sure you are very familiar with it. That article reflects my life so perfectly right now. Last Sunday I was contemplating the future of my upcoming forum and wondering if I should push ahead. And, I made the big decision to commit to both a domain name/paid hosting package and the time needed to make a serious go of it. It's been one of the most exhausting weeks of my life. I had no idea there would be so much work involved. But, for some reason, I can't quit, no matter how tired I am. I would equate the experience to a very short pregnancy and childbirth. I had been contemplating this idea for a very long time, tweaking my forum on a free host service (which thankfully had no ads) but had not fully committed money to a paid host. When I did that, it seemed like the stops were pulled out. I had finally acknowledged to myself that this was a legitimate dream to pursue.

I've been amazed at how encouraging others have been on the project. I feel like I can stay motivated to see it through.
I know the feeling of being overwhelmed. Recently I started my own Leadership development blog, obtaining paid website host, email, and many other tools needed to start your business online, and I agree it is a lot of hard work, but extremely fun and rewarding. I am going after what I am truly passionate in life is growing myself to become a better leader and help others to do same. Persistency is the key

Naveed & Sonika

Some of you may wonder what is meant by "personal development". Personal development is also referred to as "self improvement", "personal growth", or "self help" however I like this term the best. Personal Development is simply about improving yourself in whatever areas you'd like, which typically means improving or changing skills, attitudes, or beliefs that will help lead to the desired effect. That desired effect could vary, maybe it's just to be more happy, or maybe to make more money, to save or create a relationship, or even get over a fear such as public speaking. If you're one to feel you are already perfect in all ways then this is not for you, however most of us will admit we have room to better ourselves. Some arrive at an interest in personal development only after they get so frustrated with their current situation that they truly open their mind to change.

So why would we listen to someone else for advice? A favorite author/speaker of mine named Brian Tracy said it well: "No one lives long enough to learn everything they need to learn starting from scratch. To be successful, we absolutely, positively have to find people who have already paid the price to learn the things that we need to learn to achieve our goals".

The last thing I'll say about personal development is that it crosses the entire world, all cultures and all religions. We all have the ability and the desire (most of us) to improve, and that can be as simple as learning to communicate more effectively, or more complicated such as learning the techniques of writing well or speaking effectively in front of others.

I welcome your thoughts on this subject, do you strive to better yourself? Have you always been that way or did something trigger it during the course of your life?

I completely agree with your post! Most people think that they can make it on their own by reading books and watching YouTube videos, but the problem is most people don't know who they are and they have a blind spot where they cannot see if they are stretching enough in respect to growth. We can take a simple example by looking at professional athletes; they need a coach and a mentor regardless of how good they are, to become better. My mentor, Bob Proctor, always says "A mentor is someone who sees more talent and ability within you, than you see in yourself, and helps bring it out of you".

allanrsm

Coaching Member
Personal Development starts by being able to know where you are, where you want to go, and knowing the change required to get where you want to be!

Personal Development is taking this journey with faith and enthusiasm and making sure you get to where you want to be!

Kam

Coaching Member
I think for me personal development is directly related to personal success. Whether it is financial success, spiritual success, career success, relationship success or wellness success, they all must be work on.
I believe when the person is constantly self developing the person is on the path to bigger and better things. Personally, I strive for overall success and I think the best way to do it is knowledge, grit and guts.
The more I self develop, the more I look for more improvements, more knowledge and more success. I want to achieve success and then use it to help others succeed!
Hi Alex, Yes, I agree with your suggestion,
I believe It is related to our personal success, Knowledge and self confidence.

Mitra Shahidi

Fo me personal developement is an inner proccess, which helps me to become a better person and achieve a happier life.
In a other word it is an inner change with the aim of adopting positive mindset and getting rid of old negative habits.
Of course it takes a lot of courage, hard work and self discpline, but the outcome is much more rewarding and empowering.

Mike T

Personal development is something that we must undertake to improved our self, is a process where can evaluate our inner being and find true happiness within ourselves.

Pratima

Coaching Member
Some of you may wonder what is meant by "personal development". Personal development is also referred to as "self improvement", "personal growth", or "self help" however I like this term the best. Personal Development is simply about improving yourself in whatever areas you'd like, which typically means improving or changing skills, attitudes, or beliefs that will help lead to the desired effect. That desired effect could vary, maybe it's just to be more happy, or maybe to make more money, to save or create a relationship, or even get over a fear such as public speaking. If you're one to feel you are already perfect in all ways then this is not for you, however most of us will admit we have room to better ourselves. Some arrive at an interest in personal development only after they get so frustrated with their current situation that they truly open their mind to change.

So why would we listen to someone else for advice? A favorite author/speaker of mine named Brian Tracy said it well: "No one lives long enough to learn everything they need to learn starting from scratch. To be successful, we absolutely, positively have to find people who have already paid the price to learn the things that we need to learn to achieve our goals".

The last thing I'll say about personal development is that it crosses the entire world, all cultures and all religions. We all have the ability and the desire (most of us) to improve, and that can be as simple as learning to communicate more effectively, or more complicated such as learning the techniques of writing well or speaking effectively in front of others.

I welcome your thoughts on this subject, do you strive to better yourself? Have you always been that way or did something trigger it during the course of your life?

Yes, I do try to make myself more positive towards life. Learn new things which helps in improving myself in every corner of life. I try to keep a positive attitude. I like to meditate which keeps my balance, read self-help books and watch motivational videos.
I was not the same person before as I'm today.

David B

From a young age I've been interested in personal development, always thinking about and striving to live my best life. I think it is important to realize, and also enlightening, to realize that when we work towards personal development, despite the name, it is actually working to develop and improve the world. We who take personal development seriously recognize that we not only benefit immensely from developing ourselves, but that we greatly benefit the world around us as well. When we live a life "turned on" we are amazing to be around, we inspire others and we contribute through acts of kindness to the people in our lives. In fact, we often expand our sphere of influence to include more and more people that we can show kindness to and benefit them in some way. So congrats to you all - you are the heroes of our time!

jamese66

MY self help trip or journey started about 10 years ago,i admitted myself to an alcohol and drug recovery program,on my 40th birthday.It was during that 28 days i picked up couple of self help books. Now i have a juicy library of physical books,ebooks and audio.It took me a couple of years to get a handle on ,but i have been clean for 8 yrs and i can tell you without a doubt that what i learned from those books made all the differenc. Self help is a skill you need to educate,apply and practice.

ibrahim

I personally believe that, it's a way for people to assess their skills and qualities, consider their aims in life and set goals in order to realise and maximise their potential

Last edited by a moderator:

Bella Taylor

It think that the answer is different for each and every person asking the question..

ctarg

I'm 17. So, I'm still young and learning so many things as I grow older. I do strive to be more developed and so I agree with this post. Sometimes though, I fail at learning from other's mistakes. I end up going through the same mistake, but I guess that's life sometimes. Luckily, I've met a few people who's helped in my growth. Especially my parents, they've helped me the most.

This is awesome to see, well played and keep it up. Make as many mistakes as you can it's the best way to learn

Nicholas Cho

To me, personal development is first, a frame of thinking and then a lifestyle. I strive to become the best version of myself everyday because I have a passion to help others and, how can I help others if I do not help myself first? This insight has provided the drive for me to get up everyday to better my attitude, skills, seek out new knowledge or reinforce familiar notions, and polish any skills that I intend to sharpen all for the sake of sharing it to the environment I'm in.

Last edited:

Berni

Hello,

I have always been interested in learning and understanding the world, which is why I became a scientist. But science can't explain everything so I have been on the path of personal development for the last 18 years especially concentrating on the topic of increasing self-worth.

I agree that we can't learn everything from scratch, so I feel it is so important to share what you do know so other can benefit as well.

Last edited by a moderator: