What is Personal Development?

MoreSuccess

Administrator
Staff member
Some of you may wonder what is meant by "personal development". Personal development is also referred to as "self improvement", "personal growth", or "self help" however I like this term the best. Personal Development is simply about improving yourself in whatever areas you'd like, which typically means improving or changing skills, attitudes, or beliefs that will help lead to the desired effect. That desired effect could vary, maybe it's just to be more happy, or maybe to make more money, to save or create a relationship, or even get over a fear such as public speaking. If you're one to feel you are already perfect in all ways then this is not for you, however most of us will admit we have room to better ourselves. Some arrive at an interest in personal development only after they get so frustrated with their current situation that they truly open their mind to change.

So why would we listen to someone else for advice? A favorite author/speaker of mine named Brian Tracy said it well: "No one lives long enough to learn everything they need to learn starting from scratch. To be successful, we absolutely, positively have to find people who have already paid the price to learn the things that we need to learn to achieve our goals".

The last thing I'll say about personal development is that it crosses the entire world, all cultures and all religions. We all have the ability and the desire (most of us) to improve, and that can be as simple as learning to communicate more effectively, or more complicated such as learning the techniques of writing well or speaking effectively in front of others.

I welcome your thoughts on this subject, do you strive to better yourself? Have you always been that way or did something trigger it during the course of your life?

I strive to better myself physically and mentally. It takes a lot of willpower to get outside or get on with work that you've always wanted to do.
For example, I've always wanted to lead this exercise and diet regime which will help me get healthier and more muscular - but my willpower is lacking. I'm hoping to strengthen myself through various means in terms of strengthening my willpower.

speedy

Advisor Member
Yes, I agree with admin. Every time I read " Personal Development" what's in my mind is that it is talking about the improvement of ourselves. I had subject before about Personal Development and as far as I could remember the subject also discussed the four (4) types of personality, the sanguine, choleric, phlegmatic and melancholy. We grew with different environment, cultures and with different experiences. We also ought to develop ourselves to be more productive and be helpful to others.

I agree. :) For me, personality development is a set of methods which, if done properly, would help us attain success and happiness. In my opinion, it's about being satisfied with myself and being satisfied with the relationships that I have. Personally, I'm with the people I love and who love me, so I try to be better in every aspect of my life. It takes a lot of discipline, too. So personality development requires a lot of strength and wisdom and lots and lots of prayer. :) The thing I would like to improve is better time management skills and better money organization abilities. I hope I can do so in the future!​

MoreSuccess

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.personal-development.com/jim-rohn/miracle.htm is one of my favorite articles describing personal development by one of the original great teachers on the subject Jim Rohn. I'm not sure if I believe the statement in there about dividing money equally, however I like the axioms in caps.

moneymakingmom

Coaching Member
So why would we listen to someone else for advice? A favorite author/speaker of mine named Brian Tracy said it well: "No one lives long enough to learn everything they need to learn starting from scratch. To be successful, we absolutely, positively have to find people who have already paid the price to learn the things that we need to learn to achieve our goals"
Brian Tracy is one of my favorite personal development gurus ever. I have read so many of his books in the past, especially when I was pregnant with my daughter. I was trying to find ways to stabilize my emotional life and bring myself to a happy place where I could finally like myself for who I was and not what others thought I should be. Around the same time, I started listening to Tony Robins on tape and that really changed my life. I'm always reading and studying and trying to improve my emotional, physical and spiritual state so that I can enjoy the perfect union of mind, body and spirit.

Thanks for this wonderful site.

I hope that I can read more of the wonderful personal development articles and advice on this site and find ways to improve myself even more.

I strongly believe that people develop themselves throughout their entire lives. Our whole life is a process in which we strive to improve our skills, knowledge, relations and so on. I want to make the most of life, and personal development is a big part of that. I love the quote you use in the initial post of this thread. It describes how I feel about receiving feedback as well. It's not criticism, but a gift you can use to benefit your own growth.

I want to better myself. I've always tried to do well at school and have succeeded in graduating from college with a double major. It's something I'm proud of, but I want to improve myself even more as a person because book smarts is not everything. There are skills that I need to develop such as public speaking, my communication skills, and my self-esteem. I constantly doubt myself and my abilities even though experience and other people have told me that I can do things well and be successful at them.

I think the desire to improve myself comes from the people that I surround myself with. I want to be a better person for the people I love. I want to grow to become independent, self-sufficient, and successful in order to give back to my parents and to be able to provide for my family. I don't want to be one of those children that just live off of their parents and don't give back to them to show my appreciation. My mother was also a great inspiration. She raised me as a single mother. Although I wasn't able to get everything that I wanted, I didn't have to starve one day. She's been working 7 days a week since I was 9 and I think that she deserves to have a daughter who's just as self sufficient and independent as she is.

I guess it's the role models I have in my life that push me to be a better person.

MoreSuccess

Administrator
Staff member
Brian Tracy is one of my favorite personal development gurus ever. I have read so many of his books in the past, especially when I was pregnant with my daughter. I was trying to find ways to stabilize my emotional life and bring myself to a happy place where I could finally like myself for who I was and not what others thought I should be. Around the same time, I started listening to Tony Robins on tape and that really changed my life. I'm always reading and studying and trying to improve my emotional, physical and spiritual state so that I can enjoy the perfect union of mind, body and spirit.
Same with me, both Brian Tracy and Jim Rohn, I've listened to several audio series from both of them, and seen both speak in person, they had a real positive impact in my life. I was at an event many years ago and Brian Tracy stepped into the same elevator as I was in and said hi, I just said hi back, I didn't want to annoy him by saying what a fan I was lol. Later I read some of Tony Robbins books and tapes as well, great stuff as well. I have quite a few articles posted on the website for both: Jim Rohn, Brian Tracy.

MoreSuccess

Administrator
Staff member
I want to better myself. I've always tried to do well at school and have succeeded in graduating from college with a double major. It's something I'm proud of, but I want to improve myself even more as a person because book smarts is not everything. There are skills that I need to develop such as public speaking, my communication skills, and my self-esteem. .
Those are three really important ones for sure. When I graduated from college I had all the technical skills for my career choice however I was still weak in those areas. I read and listened to audios which sure helped a lot, but only to a point. Ultimately it also just took time and practice, including a few initially painful public speaking situations and trainings. I think a key thing for me in so many situations has simply been learning how to be a good listener. When you really listen to someone instead of just thinking about your own selfish interests, it can really turn out well.

moneymakingmom

Coaching Member
Same with me, both Brian Tracy and Jim Rohn, I've listened to several audio series from both of them, and seen both speak in person, they had a real positive impact in my life. I was at an event many years ago and Brian Tracy stepped into the same elevator as I was in and said hi, I just said hi back, I didn't want to annoy him by saying what a fan I was lol. Later I read some of Tony Robbins books and tapes as well, great stuff as well. I have quite a few articles posted on the website for both: Jim Rohn, Brian Tracy.
I checked out the articles and found them all to be really amazing. Hope you don't mind if I bookmark those pages and come back later to do some more reading. I'm sure you're likely to see me over there lots in the near future.

One of the articles I had a chance to read over was "The Time to Act" by Jim Rohn. I'm sure you are very familiar with it. That article reflects my life so perfectly right now. Last Sunday I was contemplating the future of my upcoming forum and wondering if I should push ahead. And, I made the big decision to commit to both a domain name/paid hosting package and the time needed to make a serious go of it. It's been one of the most exhausting weeks of my life. I had no idea there would be so much work involved. But, for some reason, I can't quit, no matter how tired I am. I would equate the experience to a very short pregnancy and childbirth. I had been contemplating this idea for a very long time, tweaking my forum on a free host service (which thankfully had no ads) but had not fully committed money to a paid host. When I did that, it seemed like the stops were pulled out. I had finally acknowledged to myself that this was a legitimate dream to pursue.

I've been amazed at how encouraging others have been on the project. I feel like I can stay motivated to see it through.

radascars

Advisor Member
So why would we listen to someone else for advice? A favorite author/speaker of mine named Brian Tracy said it well: "No one lives long enough to learn everything they need to learn starting from scratch. To be successful, we absolutely, positively have to find people who have already paid the price to learn the things that we need to learn to achieve our goals".

I welcome your thoughts on this subject, do you strive to better yourself? Have you always been that way or did something trigger it during the course of your life?
Hi there,

When I read the lines "Personal Development" first thing that came up my mind is Personal growth and what you have achieved in life.

I am fond of challenging my self every time I do things, set my own priorities and make attainable results. I always wanted to be better and be bring the best out of me.

What made me to be this way is the failures I experienced before and that gave me the motivation and strength to give my self more courage to be better. I don't like to fail anymore and I want to be successful in life, but before I can achieve success, I need personal growth and develop my own self.

moneymakingmom

Coaching Member
I am fond of challenging my self every time I do things, set my own priorities and make attainable results. I always wanted to be better and be bring the best out of me.

What made me to be this way is the failures I experienced before and that gave me the motivation and strength to give my self more courage to be better. I don't like to fail anymore and I want to be successful in life, but before I can achieve success, I need personal growth and develop my own self.
A very wise path! When you compete against others, there will always be someone better, smarter, faster, more educated, richer, more crafty, etc.

But, when you set the bar high for your own accomplishments and compete against your past record then no one else can come close to competing. You make yourself better with each effort by trying your best to improve over what you did last time.

radascars

Advisor Member
A very wise path! When you compete against others, there will always be someone better, smarter, faster, more educated, richer, more crafty, etc.

But, when you set the bar high for your own accomplishments and compete against your past record then no one else can come close to competing. You make yourself better with each effort by trying your best to improve over what you did last time.
You got my point, that's really what am I trying to put out. Nothing beats your own experience but you.

For me, personal development is changing from bad to good, from good to better or best.
If you already know what you bad points are, then you should change for the better.
You must improve yourself to have a better self-esteem and confidence, for you to face the world with head-up-high.
If you would be able to set a good example, then you fellows might change for the better too and that's good for the world, right?

I agree with much of what has been said above. But for me, "Personal Development" is all about power. It is about the power to achieve what I want in my life. It is the power to make my dreams a reality. By appreciating the process of personal development, I am appreciating life for all its potential. I know that I will never realize my full potential as a human, but as long as I keep growing, I will remain happy. As long as I keep pushing out the boundaries of my comfort zone and experiencing new life, then I have a life worth living. And this is what gives me power. This is what makes me who I am.

radascars

Advisor Member
I agree with much of what has been said above. But for me, "Personal Development" is all about power. It is about the power to achieve what I want in my life. It is the power to make my dreams a reality. By appreciating the process of personal development, I am appreciating life for all its potential. I know that I will never realize my full potential as a human, but as long as I keep growing, I will remain happy. As long as I keep pushing out the boundaries of my comfort zone and experiencing new life, then I have a life worth living. And this is what gives me power. This is what makes me who I am.
That's a good personal growth!

I read something before about visualization, if you visualize things that you want or visualize your self into something more developmental you will attain it with effort obviously, just believe in the power of mind.

lockirawr

I'm 17. So, I'm still young and learning so many things as I grow older. I do strive to be more developed and so I agree with this post. Sometimes though, I fail at learning from other's mistakes. I end up going through the same mistake, but I guess that's life sometimes. Luckily, I've met a few people who's helped in my growth. Especially my parents, they've helped me the most.

I'm 17. So, I'm still young and learning so many things as I grow older. I do strive to be more developed and so I agree with this post. Sometimes though, I fail at learning from other's mistakes. I end up going through the same mistake, but I guess that's life sometimes. Luckily, I've met a few people who's helped in my growth. Especially my parents, they've helped me the most.
If you're already focusing on personal development at age 17, believe me you are WAY ahead of the game. I wish I had started down this path at that age. Using forums like this are a great way to keep yourself focused. I wish you all the best. Keep it up!

zararina

Coaching Member
I do agree that to be able to improve oneself, one must try to strive more in life. The road for success will no be always easy but for someone who have the guts and the determination, it is possible. I strive to be a better person as i aged for i know it must be the path i should take. And life experiences will help me developed more as a strong and better person.