What do you do when you have not achieved your goals by the deadline you set

VEM

Advisor Member
Truth is many of us that set goals, some don't get accomplished, what's the cause and what do you think can be done to increase the chance of achieving it
Hello Ese

Some goals we set don't get accomplished for many reasons including:

1. We've expended our self motivation, our determination in reaching other goals. We have become emotionally drained of these emotive forces that push us to move forward. Sometimes when this happens we convince ourselves that these goals are not as important as they once were, we come up with excuses to not feel badly about having not reached them.

2. We may not have a plan of action that is organized well enough or good enough to accomplish a particular goal.

3. We may not have the degree of self motivation and organizational skills to reach the goals.

4. Under the light of in depth contemplation we come to the realization that some of our goals aren't as important as they once were and this new viewpoint isn't based on a lack of determination or planning. We have matured in our thinking about the value and necessity of the goal.

Of course there are other reasons but I believe these to be the factors most people are dealing with.

Now if you simply reverse so to speak the first 3 reasons I listed then you understand that goals are reached by having enough self motivation/determination, a plan of action, organizational skills and finally having enough imagination to look at your plan and make necessary changes and improvements, to be able to question its viability.

Last but not least you should have an objective mental picture of your current situation and what you are capable of, what skills you have, which do you need to improve and so on.

DreamLifeRules

Coaching Member
@Ese joy Hello,
  • first and most important thing, when you set your goal and not achieve it, is don´t panic, don´t blame yourself and feel bad about yourself.
  • second, analyze why you didn´t accomplish that goal (but be honest with yourself, don´t lie yourself), reason could be that something really important happen, or you set your goal too high (which is not too bad in all cases), or you may be distracted and don´t work so hard or smart ........ reasons are a lot, but important is to sit down and think what cause not reaching your goal
  • next i would suggest, after you find your reason, make suggestions how to prevent this from happening again, if you don´t reach your goal once a time it´s not a disaster (when you work hard, if you don´t that is a problem, and you have to find solution there), you tried something, and didn´t work, and if you find reasons Why this happened, you are smarter, because you know what NOT TO DO, and in this case, it´s step forward, not backward, even when you didn´t reach your goal
I hope it helps, if you have any further questions, I will be happy to help. :)

Hello Ese

Some goals we set don't get accomplished for many reasons including:

1. We've expended our self motivation, our determination in reaching other goals. We have become emotionally drained of these emotive forces that push us to move forward. Sometimes when this happens we convince ourselves that these goals are not as important as they once were, we come up with excuses to not feel badly about having not reached them.

2. We may not have a plan of action that is organized well enough or good enough to accomplish a particular goal.

3. We may not have the degree of self motivation and organizational skills to reach the goals.

4. Under the light of in depth contemplation we come to the realization that some of our goals aren't as important as they once were and this new viewpoint isn't based on a lack of determination or planning. We have matured in our thinking about the value and necessity of the goal.

Of course there are other reasons but I believe these to be the factors most people are dealing with.

Now if you simply reverse so to speak the first 3 reasons I listed then you understand that goals are reached by having enough self motivation/determination, a plan of action, organizational skills and finally having enough imagination to look at your plan and make necessary changes and improvements, to be able to question its viability.

Last but not least you should have an objective mental picture of your current situation and what you are capable of, what skills you have, which do you need to improve and so on.
Thank you so much this really helped

@Ese joy Hello,
  • first and most important thing, when you set your goal and not achieve it, is don´t panic, don´t blame yourself and feel bad about yourself.
  • second, analyze why you didn´t accomplish that goal (but be honest with yourself, don´t lie yourself), reason could be that something really important happen, or you set your goal too high (which is not too bad in all cases), or you may be distracted and don´t work so hard or smart ........ reasons are a lot, but important is to sit down and think what cause not reaching your goal
  • next i would suggest, after you find your reason, make suggestions how to prevent this from happening again, if you don´t reach your goal once a time it´s not a disaster (when you work hard, if you don´t that is a problem, and you have to find solution there), you tried something, and didn´t work, and if you find reasons Why this happened, you are smarter, because you know what NOT TO DO, and in this case, it´s step forward, not backward, even when you didn´t reach your goal
I hope it helps, if you have any further questions, I will be happy to help. :)
Thank you too

Mick IOM

Coaching Member
I think most people don't have clear why they have their goals in the first place.

That's why many new-years resolutions fail. It sounds like a great idea at the moment when you feel really motivated. But motivation doesn't last.

If you want to lose weight, why do you want to lose weight?

Increase the leverage on yourself so you've got no other reason than to succeed or working towards succession.

Often I don't feel motivated, but I'm always able to pick the things up again because I know the real reason why I do what I do.

In my personal experience, this is the main reason that made me stick to my goals, rather than giving up when motivation tends to fade.

All the best,
Mick

DreamLifeRules

Coaching Member
One more question guys when do one know you are setting realistic goals or trying to aim too high..you know the popular saying, shoot for the moon so when you miss, you ll land among the stars,
Hey, there is one quote from Les Brown:

,,I've found out that most people fail in life not because they aim too high and miss.
Most people fail in life because they aim too low and hit."

I think it´s good that you aim higher, then lower, but many people start to be discouraged, feel bad about themselves, and eventually lose their motivation, when they don´t reach their goals.

I like to have one big goal, but divided into some smaller, easier manageable goals.
In my free report below is one chapter dedicated to proper planning, so if you are interested, feel free to download it, I hope it helps you.

It may sound strange but I don't set goals, I have a dream, to live on my owm terms and so everyday I work towards that dream, I don't like to set goals because most of the time I can't reach them because I have to study and then I get frustrated, so it works much more for me to work and make sure to move in the right direction rather than measuring what I have achieved! Hope you are having a great day!

denydritz

Coaching Member
You don't reach your goal because you haven't reached your goal :giggle:

What I mean is that you're not on the correct path that leads to your goal. On top of that, we may set goals that aren't correct goals for us. I agree that the problem with goals is that reaching it requires willpower that is limited and will run out at some point.

I'm still learning about goal setting, and I'm wondering if it is as effective as we think. I learn that people who can reach their goals do so because they are on the correct path: they have the right context and the right recipe. Having the right recipe with the wrong context, or vice versa, means we won't reach our goal.

Goal setting itself is a recipe, right? We believe that if we follow certain steps, within a certain time window, then we will manifest what we desire. But I think there are a lot of assumptions in that model, therefore it's prone to failure because the steps we neglect make or break our success.

We need to build an understanding of the 'real world navigation' (context) to know what it would take for us specifically to reach our goal. And I'm still learning about real world navigation myself ...