What are your personal views or thoughts concerning Native American Indians Spirituality?

WitchyWoman

Native American Indians Spirituality is a very pure and sacred practice. Closely connected to the land in which the Native Americans dwell and the supernatural. Often times their beliefs are misunderstood. There are many different forms of Native American practices, explained as more of a process or a journey. A sacred bond experienced between Creator (The Great Spirit) and the created. Native American Indians Spirituality is never separated from ones daily life. A discussion about theology and religion within their society is extremely limited but to live and breathe is to worship. For Native American Indians a relationship with the Great Spirit is experienced as a relationship will all creation which interestingly, is ever present nor does it require an institute or building such as church. The Great Spirit can be touched through all things. All of creation has life, trees, mountains, including ourselves, and everything that lives is part of creation and therefore has life which must be
respected.

MoreSuccess

Senior Advisor
Staff member
I admire the Native American's spirituality. I think too many people don't appreciate it. They really knew the connection we have to mother Earth, and used various practices to maintain that connection, things I think equate to meditation. I have in the past used their music during meditations, it can be very powerful. The connection to animals is also very interesting and a means of finding certain aspects of nature you can identify with spiritually.

slicing_angel2003

My husband follows a Native American path, and it is a beautiful faith. There is a deep connection to the Earth, the sky, and honestly all of nature. I follow a different path than my husband and when we first moved in together I had to get use to the sounds of his worship. From time to time I would wake up to him "signing" to the sun and moon. At first is was odd, but over time I've learned to enjoy the rhythm and flow of it.

WitchyWoman

I do appreciate you sharing your thoughts with me about this. Often times I feel so much hurt in my heart that our Native American Heritage is not acknowledged or appreciated. I do appreciate your kind words and thoughts. You have opened my eyes to see others do understand and see it for what it really is a beautiful faith.

AmazingP

Advisor Member
I am not privy to the Native American spirituality or set of beliefs. But I am aware that native people are more attuned to the creation and the Creator whoever he might be. I am sure that these people possess a body of knowledge and understanding which most of us don't have or failed to get in touch with.

Atehequa

Anyone born in America today or after 1492 is a native American, but before Amerigo Vespucci gave these lands one name, and European conquest and domination, we had many different names for our homelands.

Among the hundreds of diverse nations, tribes and bands there was no one common spirituality, religion, supreme deity or great spirit.

Charles Franklin

Advisor Member
I will follow along with the rest of the members here and say that I admire the Native American faith and spirituality. Like msuccess mentioned, I especially like their connection to the Earth. Although there are elements of this in the Christian faith, most of the people I know have a more distant connection with the Earth. Like WitchyWoman mentioned, I also liked that Native American spirituality is something that lived daily as one's moves about one's day.

Having discussions like these helps my own faith to grow along with gaining more respect for other traditions. It becomes so easy to put your faith in a cage. Dialogue can help your faith break out of the cage.

Atehequa

Who else would know more about American Indian issues than white blonde haired woman? Surely not an NDN.

Atehequa

But hey we still have a soft caring compassionate side to our sense of being as Ed Ames, an Ukrainian singer and actor sings of -