Using Mindfulness

MoreSuccess

Senior Advisor
Staff member
Does anyone else here really like and use "mindfulness" techniques, whether as a way of thinking or meditation? It's been one of the more effective tools for improving my own level of happiness and effectiveness. The books by Eckhart Tolle seemed very aligned with this concept and helpful, although perhaps more for those interested in the spiritual angle to it.

MoreSuccess

Senior Advisor
Staff member
Yes, being more consciously aware of what is happening in the present and keeping your mind in the present. Believing that life occurs only in the "now". Knowing that the present isn't dictated by the past nor does the past have to determine your future. Most often, when we're worried or anxious, it's all about what might happen in the future or what happened in the past which we can't change. Our mind tends to have an internal chatter about past or future that often is not beneficial and takes us away from the present. It means being very open, receptive and non judgmental about what is happening right now. Also key is knowing that happiness can only happen right now. If happiness is always in the future, you'll never be happy right? You can choose to be happy right now, no matter what is happening. Mindfulness tends to have a calming effect, and sometimes your senses become more acute. It makes you a better listener and communicator because you're actually present with that other person rather than your mind wandering. It doesn't mean you don't think about the future nor have a plan for the future, it just means you don't dwell on it all the time, you take more control of your mind where you decide whether you want to think about the future or not. It also helps you avoid your past determining your future, you are who you are right now, not who you were in the past.

In meditation it's somewhat similar. You just stay in the present moment and as thoughts come in, you just let them go non judgmentally. You let go of thoughts that are about the past or future. I understand this originated from Buddhism and there is a lot of material out there on it.

Anyway, that's some random thoughts about what it means to me, there are probably other viewpoints out there.

Marty Labrado

Coaching Member
Then yes. I have been using mindfulness for quite a while. It's wonderful.

It's true that your senses become more acute. It was a whole new world
to me when it first happened. I couldn't believe everything I was ignoring
and not experiencing.

To me, mindfulness is the epitome of realism. You only take what comes
to you as it comes. You deal with situations as they are and work with
them accordingly.

As for listening and communication. You hear so much more and the
words you speak are so much heavier and meaningful, at least in my
experience.

To those reading this who haven't practiced mindfulness: DO IT.
You're missing out.

MoreSuccess

Senior Advisor
Staff member
I'm thrilled you are already experiencing this point of view as well! I love it because it's so simple at it's core yet so transformational. It made a huge difference in helping me through some relationship issues. It seems to get easier with practice, you catch your mind drifting out of the present moment and bring it back to the present. It's interesting to me because it demonstrates two different parts of your mind at work, the thinking side usually associated with the ego, and the consciousness that is observing the thoughts which is more the essence of who we are.

Jason Surmillon

Coaching Member
Great stuff about mindfulness! It reminds me of the movie The Peaceful Warrior which is based on a book written by Dan Millman.

Any other books you guys would recommend?

Also, whats your routine like to get into a mindful state?

Marty Labrado

Coaching Member
Great stuff about mindfulness! It reminds me of the movie The Peaceful Warrior which is based on a book written by Dan Millman.

Any other books you guys would recommend?

Also, whats your routine like to get into a mindful state?
Great movie! I love The Peaceful Warrior.

At this point, mindfulness has become a habit. Like MSuccess said, it gets
easier with practice.

I would recommend starting with Eckhart Tolle's book, The Power of Now.

If you'd like to invest a little more money in your education, then you should consider
Dr. Lee Pulos' program The Biology of Empowerment. It's a wonderful program
that covers a lot of topics with great references. Mindfulness is briefly mentioned.
You can buy his program directly from at his website @ DrPulos.com or at
Nightingale Conant. It's priced between 60-80 dollars. Those are not affiliate links
by the way. I just really love that program.

Jason Surmillon

Coaching Member
Great movie! I love The Peaceful Warrior.

At this point, mindfulness has become a habit. Like MSuccess said, it gets
easier with practice.

I would recommend starting with Eckhart Tolle's book, The Power of Now.

If you'd like to invest a little more money in your education, then you should consider
Dr. Lee Pulos' program The Biology of Empowerment. It's a wonderful program
that covers a lot of topics with great references. Mindfulness is briefly mentioned.
You can buy his program directly from at his website @ DrPulos.com or at
Nightingale Conant. It's priced between 60-80 dollars. Those are not affiliate links
by the way. I just really love that program.
Thanks Marty! One day I'll get at that mindfulness level as you guys lol

I'm going to read The Power of Now right Now haha

I'll definitely consider on getting that program!

MoreSuccess

Senior Advisor
Staff member
I second that on the Power of Now, I wish I hadn't waited so long to read it. It's relatively new for me to be trying to get better at this and learn more, which is why I posted this.

What I work on is when I'm doing a simple thing like going for a walk, working around the house, driving, sitting outdoors, or being with other people, I try to keep my attention fully on what is happening, e.g. what my senses are taking in and what I'm doing. I make more of an effort to notice what is going on around me. As thoughts come in, if they are about the past or future, I just let them go and bring my attention back to the present. A good example is you can take a walk and either just be deep in thought and oblivious to what is around you, or you can walk and notice little things you see around you, what other people are doing, the sounds of the birds, the smells, the fresh air, the sun, the feeling of exercise, etc. It's a much richer experience but we are often captives of our mind which takes us out of the moment. My point of view is if life only exists in the present, and you're never in the present, are you ever really fully living your life?

Jason Surmillon

Coaching Member
I second that on the Power of Now, I wish I hadn't waited so long to read it. It's relatively new for me to be trying to get better at this and learn more, which is why I posted this.

What I work on is when I'm doing a simple thing like going for a walk, working around the house, driving, sitting outdoors, or being with other people, I try to keep my attention fully on what is happening, e.g. what my senses are taking in and what I'm doing. I make more of an effort to notice what is going on around me. As thoughts come in, if they are about the past or future, I just let them go and bring my attention back to the present. A good example is you can take a walk and either just be deep in thought and oblivious to what is around you, or you can walk and notice little things you see around you, what other people are doing, the sounds of the birds, the smells, the fresh air, the sun, the feeling of exercise, etc. It's a much richer experience but we are often captives of our mind which takes us out of the moment. My point of view is if life only exists in the present, and you're never in the present, are you ever really fully living your life?
Good stuff msuccess!

I know it will take a lot of practice! I'll try and do what you do when I take a walk around my town

MoreSuccess

Senior Advisor
Staff member
I ran across this new article at http://www.vulture.com/2014/09/7-steps-to-living-a-bill-murray-life.html on an actor/comedian I've always liked, Bill Murray. He really nails the concept of being present in the quote in section 7, I'll paste the relevant part below. I love the way he described it and in a unique way that works for him.

"So if you can feel that weight in your body, if you can come back into the most personal identification, a very personal identification, which is: I am. This is me now. Here I am, right now. This is me now. Then you don’t feel like you have to leave, and be over there, or look over there. You don’t feel like you have to rush off and be somewhere. There’s just a wonderful sense of well-being that begins to circulate up and down, from your top to your bottom. Up and down from your top to your spine. And you feel something that makes you almost want to smile, that makes you want to feel good, that makes you want to feel like you could embrace yourself."​

Jason Surmillon

Coaching Member
I ran across this new article at http://www.vulture.com/2014/09/7-steps-to-living-a-bill-murray-life.html on an actor/comedian I've always liked, Bill Murray. He really nails the concept of being present in the quote in section 7, I'll paste the relevant part below. I love the way he described it and in a unique way that works for him.

"So if you can feel that weight in your body, if you can come back into the most personal identification, a very personal identification, which is: I am. This is me now. Here I am, right now. This is me now. Then you don’t feel like you have to leave, and be over there, or look over there. You don’t feel like you have to rush off and be somewhere. There’s just a wonderful sense of well-being that begins to circulate up and down, from your top to your bottom. Up and down from your top to your spine. And you feel something that makes you almost want to smile, that makes you want to feel good, that makes you want to feel like you could embrace yourself."​
Great article!

Now I'm curious into how this is going to feel

Demas

Potent stuff this is. The Mind is indeed an engine that can propel one's life to a point of self-comfort or an unbearable den of remorse. For me, I think I'm in support of the whole thought of meditation.

From my experience, the power of meditation brings the mind to a point of charge that streams forth with an aura of optimism; something every breathing soul needs to see themselves through this cruel world. If only meditation could consume us beyond our limitations, then and only then will we see what lies beyond the uncertainties.

Today I inked something regarding the shallow mind(http://inkedhub.blogspot.com/2014/09/good-riddanceshallow-mind.html) and I can't help but notice the connection. I'm in the phase of perfecting the art of meditation and so my journey to a seasonal charged mind is what I'm after. I'm loving your content big time.

Hoping to Interact with more of it.

Check out my blog: inkedhub.blogspot.com

Life

Mindfulness (or self awareness) is just meditation incorporated into the everday life.

It's a hard practice at the beginning until the mind becomes pure enough, then one becomes quite relaxed and open to the experiences around without getting much attached or lost.

It's really a feeling "out of this world", inner peace and joy which can't be described or imagined. Even being happy (having positive and happy thoughts) doesn't compare to this true happiness. This happens after making mindfulness a habit of living.

I totally agree on Eckhart Tolle's book The Power of Now, it's one of the best books when it comes to personal development and self awareness.

Thanks msuccess for the great post.

CraZzyChiC

Mindfulness (or self awareness) is just meditation incorporated into the everday life.

It's a hard practice at the beginning until the mind becomes pure enough, then one becomes quite relaxed and open to the experiences around without getting much attached or lost.

It's really a feeling "out of this world", inner peace and joy which can't be described or imagined. Even being happy (having positive and happy thoughts) doesn't compare to this true happiness. This happens after making mindfulness a habit of living.

I totally agree on Eckhart Tolle's book The Power of Now, it's one of the best books when it comes to personal development and self awareness.

Thanks msuccess for the great post.
I really agree with you Life, and I have found that reading Eckhart Tolle's book The Power of Now has really helped me :)