Try Thinking Like a Child to Beat the Fear of Failure Blues. But How & Why?

Ally Mckean

Coaching Member
I think something is lost from our babyhood and childhood that is complicated by the childhood experiences we all have that may not be so positive.

We learn what to do and what not to do to protect ourselves from the hurt. This goes on right into adulthood and for many folks, for life.

We learn that life is easier taking the path of least resistance. But we lose ourselves in this process, we lose our creativity, our imagination, our inner-child!

Think of a baby, or a small child and every day of their life, from birth, is full of them striving forth in their development as much as they can at each stage.

Despite their regular failures they will succeed at their level - they simply don't see failure as anything apart from another step toward their goal! Actually, they're not even really aware of their goals, I think they're working from a purpose and vision just to be bigger - to grow up.

Older babies and children will get frustrated, sure, but that does not stop them! They naturally take the very next step that they can as soon as they can take. This is regardless of how far they ultimately get in their development.

Don't you find this amazing? I do.

If we apply a child's approach to going for our goals and regard failure as just another step - I mean, really simplifying the process - how much more fun would we have and how much more relaxed about the outcome we'd be!

I mean, you've got your vision, right, you've plot your course and set your goals, (I highly recommend Bob Proctor's Purpose, Vision & Goals audiobook to get clarity here - I've listened to it over and over to really internalise this for myself).

So, you're set, you've got your purpose and vision in mind and you're already on track towards you first goal.

You are already taking the very next step you can as fast as you can take it, so relax! Enjoy the journey, you will get to your goal!

It's this latter part of my post that I think is key but applying it is not easy and very easily overcomplicated by our adult brains.

Well, I suggest you take the first step you can take, as quickly as you can take it - listen to Bob Proctor's audio book I've mentined above as many times as you need to get clarity on your purpose, vision and goals.

In my opinon, that's a great first step.

Ally xx

“Everything you want is on the other side of fear.” - Jack Canfield

brokenblade

Coaching Member
As children we are more authentic. We learn to hide our true selves when we become adults. We become (adult)erated as we grow. Interesting that there is an "adult" in adulterate, which means to mix in elements that lowet the quality

Ally Mckean

Coaching Member
Wow, yes! Coincidence or not? I guess people have a hard time with the idea of finding their inner child because children are disregarded as immature and not responsible.
Immature they may be but that's common among adults too.
Not response(able) children are not! They have the most natural and immediate responses with no real fear or knowledge of the outcome, sure but it's authentic, I agree.

Ally Mckean

Coaching Member
Me too Cynthia! I have not felt so relaxed about reaching my goals but I also feel focussed. Amazing! I'm reading Getting Things Done the art of stress-free productivity by David Allen and I'm learning new ways to keep a mind like water...easier said than done, as most things are but I'm working on it!