To Timeout or Not To Timeout

Seville009

I have heard every single reason in the books as to why parents decide to use timeouts or to just spank their children and here is my take on it. Timeout isn't to be used as a discipline, it's there to give both your child and yourself a chance to calm down before you speak with them and hand down your disciplinary action. That way they understand thoroughly why they are being disciplined and how they can improve their behavior as well as why they should. It also gives them a chance to gather their thoughts and speak with you about why they did what they did.

What do you all think?

blueberryc

I prefer to call it think time. If a child is doing something wrong, such as hitting a sibling, then tell them that we do not hit, and have them think about it. then after a minute per year of age, talk to them about what better choices they could have made.

Sharon

Yes I like it as think time. My kids are much older now and we may have had many a think time.
It is necessary. You want to guide your kids and raise them right and this is all part of the journey to
have them realise their is consequences for bad behaviour. Glad I did all the methods like this one
and stuck to them. Must say I have pretty good teenage kids who don't mind helping mum around
the home at all and family life is just a pleasure!

Samantha

Time outs or think times are so incredibly necessary, but yes, I agree children, especially as they grow older need consequences. While a 2 year old can just get a time out and usually the thought of being separate from what he or she was doing is enough to help him or her learn their mistake, as they grow older, there needs to be consequences appropriate for each child.

Our oldest, when she was 4 was very upset by the thought of getting a "black x" on a chart we kept, and was highly motivated by gaining stickers to work toward a reward.

Our youngest, however, we needed to take an approach that involved removing a particular toy he preferred until he had earned it back by either behaving in a certain manner for a period of time, finishing a task he was supposed to do or something similar.

No one tells you before you have kids, but parenting is constant trial and error, and just because you figure it out with one kid by no means you have it figured out for any others you have or that what works for your child will work for someone else's - although it's always fantastic to get ideas from other people!!

Todd Hicks

Senior Advisor
Although time-outs are useful for reflection and calming down, they can also serve as rehabilitation and deterrence if meted out properly. For example, it is not fun to spend at least half an hour standing in a corner or being in your room with no entertainment allowed.