Tips from other bloggers

jmlane

Hi Angie,

As above persistence is key, there will be good and bad periods. One of my personal objectives with blogging is to focus on the quality of my reader rather than the quantity - I would much rather have 10 people who take time to read my posts, leave comments and share my work on social media than someone who vaguely gets involved.

I would also recommend to keep in the writing habit, even if it doesn't relate to the content of your blog just write it down - it's good for your writing and improving your skills plus you never know if it might be good to use it for a guest blog post elsewhere.

ang.necole11

Coaching Member
Hi Angie,

As above persistence is key, there will be good and bad periods. One of my personal objectives with blogging is to focus on the quality of my reader rather than the quantity - I would much rather have 10 people who take time to read my posts, leave comments and share my work on social media than someone who vaguely gets involved.

I would also recommend to keep in the writing habit, even if it doesn't relate to the content of your blog just write it down - it's good for your writing and improving your skills plus you never know if it might be good to use it for a guest blog post elsewhere.
Thanks for the tips!

Dennielle Lee

Advisor Member
Hi Angie, I've recently started blogging and I thoroughly enjoy it!

I believe consistency is important and in my opinion, in order to be consistent, you have to schedule in writing time. Marking this time out on a calendar ahead of time is a good idea. I also like to wait a day or so after I finish a blog post before I post it. I save the draft and come back later to have one last read over it to see if there are any typos - it's amazing how effective a fresh set of eyes are at spotting typos!

I also like to include links to any sources I cite or reference while writing. It's always good to acknowledge your sources.

Finally, like Accipiter said, share your posts wherever and with whomever you can!

Good luck :)

Yelena Hopper

Blogging is another name for patience. If success in blogging is a wilder beast in Savannah, you’re a crocodile who patiently waits for the beast in water.
Another tip would be – regularity. Out of sight is out of mind, remember?

Marking this time out on a calendar ahead of time is a good idea. I also like to wait a day or so after I finish a blog post before I post it. I save the draft and come back later to have one last read over it to see if there are any typos - it's amazing how effective a fresh set of eyes are at spotting typos!
Yes! Time blocking is critical! I write every Monday night without fail. Sometimes it's tough, and my initial draft is a disaster, but I spend the rest of the week working through it. Typically, I publish and promote every Friday. Some weeks, this is a breeze, other weeks it's a struggle, but persistence is the key.

I also think you need to connect with your "why". Why are you writing? Many people jump into blogging as a way to make money on the side, but it could take years to get enough traffic to make good money. I believe you have to be willing to write for free because you love it, and then if money comes, fantastic. But if the money never comes, are you still enjoying the process?

I write on my blog to help people identify, set, and achieve goals. My "why" is to help people set goals and strive to live a purpose-driven life.

Feel free to check out my content. Link in my signature.

Todd Hicks

Senior Advisor
Although I have earned a little money from blogging and expect to begin making more, I mainly blog to help others improve their lives. While you're waiting to reap significant traffic and a correlated increase in blogging income, you can steadily earn money on the side from writing books; in fact, you can take the content from your blogs and turn that into self-help books and maybe online courses.