Thoughts of optimisim

Discussion in 'Positive Discussion' started by Queue, Feb 1, 2017. Replies: 11 | Views: 756

1. Queue

Queue Coaching Member

Optimism is an ability to expect the best possible outcome. In order to remain optimistic, you must replenish it. When unfavorable circumstances arise that you may feel doubtful about, the best thing to do is to work it through. Negative thoughts are just a temporary period until you arrive at a resolution. This is because unfamiliar situations are consciously unknown. By being consistent with positive thoughts that are connected to action the outcome will be the best one possible. Click read more.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017

2. Tallstack

Tallstack Member

Nursing Home Administrator
    That's correct. Believing that good will come out of a situation will help pull you through.

Look at everything as a learning experience. And, mistakes are humans way of learning.

I do hate the word "mistake" because of the connotation or implication it carries. But we try something and learn what worked and what didn't and try again. That is the way life works. The only difference is what meaning we give the event.

Guess that's what the philosophers meant when they said we can't control more than 10 or 15 percent of our circumstances. The only thing we can control 100% is our attitude.

3. Lisa Moore

Lisa Moore Member

International economist
    I agree, we should always looking forward for the positive result than thinking possible failure towards our plans. If fails came then work out and try more until to reach the result we expected.

4. Tallstack

Tallstack Member

Right. I try to clarify what I was wanting to accomplish. Sometimes I don't even think about positive or negative.

It's not rather you get knocked down but rather if you get back up.

I always remind myself of this.

Instead of thinking of it as getting knocked down I rather think that I can learn what didn't go right and try something a little different and throw that back out there and see what happens again.

5. Tallstack

Tallstack Member

Everyone is a fallible human being.

I'm more fallible in some roles than others.

Less fallible in other roles.

I can choose to try and be less fallible in those roles if I want. Etc.

6. Corey Dawson

Corey Dawson New Member

I believe that life is "win or learn".

For every situation, you can look back on it and think it was a win, or a learn.

As Tallstack has said, the word "mistake" or indeed "failure", carries a stigma that most of us waste our valuable energies into.

I learned a year ago the importance of being realistic. Sometimes a 'positive psychology' isn't entirely unproblematic. It ignores the fact that depression is far more common in women and poor people compared to the general population. Grief, for example, affects us in different ways, yet we should all treat with the same respect. We cannot simply "cheer up" at the drop of a hat because the grieving process is so important. Therefore sadness plays a critical role here, for those going through catharsis.

However, personally I think the best way of staying positive, is through being realistic. Hope for the best and expect the worst.

7. Angie Necole

Angie Necole Advisor Member

I would like to add to this as well. I think optimists know that they will be faced with challenges, set-backs, and failures. But they are prepared to see it as learned experience, a growth opportunity, and to push through it.

8. Queue

Queue Coaching Member

This is true, thank you, your viewpoint adds a profound dimension to the scope of this post in a way broaden, and captures the general concept.

9. Todd Hicks

Todd Hicks Senior Member

freelancer/entrepreneur
    Maintaining humor and solving your problems help raise optimism.

10. Tallstack

Tallstack Member

Lots of ideas.
    I'm talking about getting down to "brass tacks". I know. An old saying but it's true. If you want to work toward something-improve on something-gain expertise in something-get "promoted"-be "happier" then you HAVE to decided what you are willing to put up with. You can be positive for an irrational reason. Drunk drivers do it all the time. People that keep trying the same solution to something and getting the same result are being positive for an irrational reason.

Right now I'm working on a problem with my daughter who is beyond 27 years old. I'm not worried about being positive, I'm trying to do what is rational. I have to search my beliefs and see if one or more do not meet objective reality. And believe me when I say that objective is the event and only the event. Everything after that is subjective or is my belief about the event. Nothing is good or bad until we decide. Objective is what a camera would see and only what a camera would see. In other words is my belief in what constitutes a "good father" really helpful or a defensive mechanism? If so it isn't going to help me or my daughter live a more productive life.

I'm at the point in my life that I don't have to be farting rainbows all the time. Down the road it'll come back to haunt me and others so I take my time and think through things more than I use to. I don't necessarily do what seems good at the moment. I

In other words I'm not willing to put up with certain things so I know to look elsewhere for what I want to do.

Does that make sense? There's a lot more I could say about being rational but enough for now.

11. Shohrat Shankar

Shohrat Shankar New Member

definitely you are right.

12. Queue

Queue Coaching Member

Thank you Shohrat, for your feedback. I find a lot of helpful opportunities to expand my understanding and viewpoint by interacting with like-minded people. Reflection in a network of thought.