The problem with self-development

averyamerson

I feel like there's something in self-development that doesn't often get talked about. At least not from what I've seen. Sometimes people talk about information overload and becoming addicted to self-development, but that's not really what I'm talking about.

What I'm talking about is "influencers" not really discussing when they have bad days. I feel like a lot of these people out in the self-help world only talk about how they changed their life for the good. And I think that's great, but it doesn't help those of us who aren't where we want to be yet and are stumbling along the way.

Maybe I'm wrong about this, but this is what I've noticed. What do you think? By the way, for further clarification on this point, check out my video where I go into more detail.

Justin M

I had the same thoughts. I feel like most of these self-improvement/spiritual people hide their shadow sides from the world. The truth is we are not perfect, and we all have bad days and experience low moods.

I call this the human factor.

The human factor states that we are human, and all of us are flawed in some way, shape, or form. Whether we are sleep deprived, intoxicated, and or otherwise under duress, anyone can be expected to make errors in judgment that we later regret.

We, humans, are addicted to calamity, confusion, chaos, drama, and tragedy, and we live in a society where lying is not only accepted, it is considered the norm. We tend to forget what we’ve learned, to repeat mistakes time and time again, and to undermine our attempts at spiritual liberation.

The human factor definition has a vast spectrum, and it means we have a hard time staying conscious within ourselves for long enough to make any meaningful, positive change within ourselves or society as a whole. This unconscious part of ourselves is known as the Shadow-Self.

tomwilko

I feel like there's something in self-development that doesn't often get talked about. At least not from what I've seen. Sometimes people talk about information overload and becoming addicted to self-development, but that's not really what I'm talking about.

What I'm talking about is "influencers" not really discussing when they have bad days. I feel like a lot of these people out in the self-help world only talk about how they changed their life for the good. And I think that's great, but it doesn't help those of us who aren't where we want to be yet and are stumbling along the way.

Maybe I'm wrong about this, but this is what I've noticed. What do you think? By the way, for further clarification on this point, check out my video where I go into more detail.

I agree averyamerson, the life-challenges and trials we experience certainly provide the opportunity for us to respond with humble reflection and positive action. Whether or how we choose to respond is ultimtately up to us and our perception of the world around us at that point in time, our life-paradigm if you like.

Whilst challenge and suffering are viewed as negative in our lives, I believe they're absolutely critical to positive personal-growth, and in many cases actually accelerate our development and self-awareness.

Seneca had it right where he states...

“No man is more unhappy than he who never faces adversity. For he is not permitted to prove himself” Seneca

Thought leaders and personal-development professionals, motivational speakers etc. do need to acknowledge these factors and the science behind it. For anyone interested in these areas I'd recommend on reading up on the science behind Post Traumatic Growth. I'd also suggest further reading relevant to articles on 2nd Wave Positive Psychology.

Happy to take any questions on this comment if anyone has any.