The Power of the Unconscious Mind

Rea

“The mind is like an iceberg, it floats with one-seventh of its bulk above water.”
-Sigmund Freud

Truly, an iceberg is a quintessential representation of our mind. Just like the iceberg, only a small portion of it is visible on the surface which represents our conscious mind, while the unconscious mind is symbolized by its largest piece which remains concealed below the water. Yes, unseen yet enormously powerful. Ah, remember the RMS Titanic’s rendezvous with an iceberg?;)

Our unconscious mind runs our life far more than our conscious resources do. So it might as well be a good thing to be aware of what our unconscious mind does and how it affects the changes that we want to make in our life.

1. It’s in charge of storing memories – You will only see memories coming in your subconscious mind. This is triggered by another memory since you do not have access to the memories of your past consciously.
  2. It makes associations – your unconscious mind links similar things and ideas together and learns very quickly.
  3. It organizes all your memories either by time, meaning in a chronological order, and by association which means that it organizes your memory by linking it to similar ideas, events or another memory.
  4. It represses the memories with unresolved negative emotion. This emphasizes the protection mechanism. However, when it’s asked to and when it is safe to, it presents repressed memory for resolution. When this happens, you make the emotion rational which is done by your conscious being, and release it.
  5. It runs your body. Your unconscious mind has a blueprint of how your body is now and what it should be in perfect health. This has been demonstrated by researches done in line with this directive.
  6. It controls emotions. Obviously, you don’t have a conscious control over what emotion comes up in any given moment. Suppose you listen to your favorite song and you start to feel great, that’s when your unconscious responds.
  7. It’s highly moral. This is the kind of morality that you were taught and accepted.
  8. It enjoys serving, but it needs a clear order to follow.
  9. It controls and maintains all perceptions. You are only able to consciously work with several pieces of information simultaneously. Scientists think that you are able to handle tens of thousands of pieces of information altogether subconsciously. Your unconscious mind processes all stimulus (e.g visual, hearing, touching, and kinestetics) and transmits those to your conscious mind. It also controls and maintains telepathic perceptions.
  10. It maintains instincts and generates habits. Habits happen without you thinking. However, it need repetition until a particular habit is installed. This is a very important point- that repetition forms habits.
  11. It is programmed to continually seek more discoveries.
  12. It is symbolic. This means that our unconscious mind uses and responds to symbols such as anchors. Suppose you’re listening to a particular song, it brings up memory, that song is an anchor for that memory because it immediately triggers another memory. You can use various symbols to create anchors to bring back states that we have created.
  13. It works on principle of least effort as it takes a path of least resistance. In order for your unconscious mind not to take the path of least effort, you have to give it clear direct orders to follow.
  14. It does not process the negatives directly. If you give yourself an affirmation with a negative in it such as “I will NOT smoke today”, your unconscious mind does not process the negative (not) as it does not have a rational function. So your unconscious mind literally hears it as “I will smoke today”.

So take advantage of how your unconscious mind works - communicate your desires by demonstrating a strong commitment through vivid visualizations along with strong emotions, and of course through taking actions. The changed that you desire happens on an unconscious level. Do not forget to also release those negative emotions or internal blocks that get in the way of our success. :)

This study confirms--Hypnosis is more effective and works more quickly than traditional talk-therapy or psychoanalysis. In a hypnotic state, you are more receptive to new ideas and you can more effectively process the emotions linked to the experiences, which created pain, fear, sadness, anger, guilt, shame, humiliation and low self-esteem.

AmazingP

Advisor Member
This is quite true, our suspicious mind is actually more of an in-charge and holding the most influence to our conscious mind and consequently our whole life. That is why if we are not really careful, without knowing it we are actually held hostage by that subconscious part of our being. This is also why the most difficult in real education is really unlearning. :)

A

artistry

Great point. I once accomplished a goal without a concious effort. It was deep in my mind and I was moved forward, until it was in my hands. I thought about it long afterwards and realised what had happened. Amazing. Nice post.