The Point of Life

MoreSuccess

Senior Advisor
Staff member
http://www.personal-development.com/chuck/point-of-life.htm is another article that has generated a lot of strong opinions, and something most all of us have probably thought about at one time or another. I think for many of us, spiritual beliefs are a source of having a belief in the purpose of life, however without that I think many turn to other things such as family or just enjoying the time they have on earth. I'd be interested in people's perspectives (try to keep it positive).

speedy

Advisor Member
Life on earth is temporary. Yes, we need to work so we can eat, go to school, having a fun time but everything is in vain when our time is up. The point of life is we need to invest something which is eternal. Investing for life after death. There are only two eternal destination for us, the hell and the heaven. Whether we like it or not we need to choose which one we need to invest or we want to spend our eternal life.

Milton

The point of life, other than to reproduce, is to enjoy oneself, and face challenges bravely while trying to overcome them with an open mind.

iebo

Personally I think a fulfilling life is one where you make a difference. We aren't here for long so we need to act and make life better for those around us. I don't believe in that heaven and hell stuff, I think that's mostly used to scare people into following the rules. But life should definitely be embraced and enjoyed as well. There's no point in being alive if its a miserable existence.

Milton

Personally I think a fulfilling life is one where you make a difference. We aren't here for long so we need to act and make life better for those around us. I don't believe in that heaven and hell stuff, I think that's mostly used to scare people into following the rules. But life should definitely be embraced and enjoyed as well. There's no point in being alive if its a miserable existence.
That's a good point that I had missed out. Life is extremely short, but if we actually make a difference to others' lives, we could create a ripple effect that would continue to benefit our society even after we had passed on. Several Foundations that have been set up in my country are testament to this - their founders have long been gone, but their legacy is continued by their children and grand-children, to serve the community.

Caroline

So many people want to know why they are here; they want to know if they have a purpose, what it is and how to fulfill it. I think it is less what we do and more what we are and become. I think everyone has the same overall purpose: learn how to love unconditionally and leave this place better than it was when we entered. That manifests in limitless ways such as raising a family to the best of our ability, becoming the best we can be in every moment and teaching what we have learned. Chuck is absolutely right in the article: we cannot give away what we do not have. To make the world better, we must first become better. The exciting thing about this is that we already have within us all that we need to become better, we just have to access it and then take action.

Milton

So, what you're saying is that we ought to keep improving ourselves so that we will be much better than we have been?

I agree. It's the process of seeking more and more improvements that keep life ever exciting.

AmazingP

Advisor Member
I agree with all the ideas here presented on the meaning of life be they real or just imagined. The fact is that we are defining the meaning of life based on our own circumstances and cultural upbringing. We have forgotten to get in tune with the Being that in the first place started this whole "mess" called life. Have we tried to look deeply into why we are created in the first place? Have we tried to look into the connection we have as a person against the vastness of the universe? Who are we vis-a-vis the beauty of the creation here on Earth? Why are we created with a mind so vast in thinking yet so short with the right solutions for peace and real harmony?

Sadly, these questions will remain unaswered because even if I will answer them all one by one our prejudices and well-entrenched personal biases would be enough to defeat the whole purpose.

Hopefully, the time will come when humanity --the whole humanity for that matter -- will be given the chance to understand the great vistas of things and how each and everyone of us are connected into it.

radascars

Advisor Member
The point of life is not about being in a luxurious lifestlye, life isn't that easy and can never be easy to anyone even if you are the richest person in the world. All of us face difficult problems and challenges that makes us stress and anxiety that would lead us to give up. The point of life for me is achieving the impossible to make it possible to human kind. My point of life is like a lifetime advocacy that we need to give and share what knowledge we got and help people to live life to the fullest.