The Life Integral - How long Does a Person Live?

Ohadma1

How Long Does A Person Live?
The Life Integral

A question that hardly anyone asks - from the moment a person is born to the moment when his life reaches its tragic and inevitable end - how long does it take? In days? Hours? Minutes? Seconds?

What do you think?

The answer is that the average lifespan varies by country, but the global average lifespan is 69 years.
Let us illustrate the calculation by example. The United States has a lifespan of 79 years.
The average number of years (US - 79) multiplied by the number of days each year (365) times the number of hours per day (24) multiplied by the number of minutes per hour 60) multiplied by the number of seconds per minute (60).
A calculation is so simple compared to what teachers are teaching at universities or even to subjects taught in high schools, but at the same time is so important and so undervalued.
This is arguably the most important and significant multiplication equation we can type in our calculators.

To understand why we need to think about what this number really represents. What does it hold?

It embodies the joys we will experience
He conceals the tragedies that will come our way,
The children we will bring,
The parents we will burry,
The relationships that you will build,
The relationships that you will destroy
The successes and failures,
The work we will do,
The legacy that we will leave.

Why have not we calculated this number before?

Why did not the schools put this number in front of us every single day?
Why did parents not remind us these numbers every time we left the house?
Why does this number not appear at the entrance to the university buildings or alternatively appears as a warning before buying a television?
Before downloading an app.
Before we are getting on Facebook.

It is a tragedy; think about the amount of time we could have used if we had been immersed with the fact that our time is limited because our days are numbered. This should be the essence and the basis of our education.

What is the total value of this equation? What is the outcome that contains so much? The equation that borders our lives from beginning to end.
The answer to the calculation presented earlier is this. Seventy-nine years add up to this data:

2,491,344,000 seconds on average.
41,522,400 minutes on average.
692,040 hours on average
28,835 days.

That is it. Literally.

Everything we know, everything we understand, build or destroy, try or give up on, create with dedication and will, and it is all integrated within this number.
From beginning to end, or rather from the end to the beginning.

This is the actual value of the life integral.

the article is part of my new book on the subject of Time Management and lasting habits creation. I am giving it away - so if anybody interested, please let me know.

Last edited:

Ohadma1

Great post, I agree, that everyone should be educated about it.
Because life is too short, to waste another minute, and people who aren´t aware of it, usually regret it later.
Educate about this topic, could and I think will help many people stop wasting time.

Good luck with your new book.
thank you so much for your honest feedback!

denydritz

Coaching Member
Perhaps we don't appreciate time because we aren't hardwired to understand time as an abstract concept?

Our brain doesn't compute large numbers well. Data and statistics don't evoke emotional responses strong enough that transform into action. In marketing, marketers use stories (anecdotal evidence) to sell, even if the story is statistically inaccurate.

Time as a number may lose significance when we are bombarded with urgent matters everyday. In other words, even if we know how many days we expect to live, other 'threats' are much closer and near so that knowing the time we have (in the form of difficult to digest numbers) doesn't affect us as much as the close dangers that we perceive everyday.

That said, I once found an exercise to count the expected remainder of days we have to live, write it down, and put it on a stick note. Reduce the number everyday, and see if it has impact on your emotional responses and priorities.