The 'health habit'

I was reminded by a friend the other day the importance of the fundamentals. Whilst we were not discussing specifically health & fitness, I think the same rules apply. This made me think about the fundamentals of weight loss, keeping healthy and staying fit. Here is what I thought of:

1) Drink water - this seems so so simple and in fact other people on this forum have mentioned it time again. When I say drink water I mean drink water and that's it! Cut out alcohol, coffee, coca-cola, squash, cordial, etc and watch how you begin to feel healthier and express more vitality over the coming weeks (it will not be instant). Of course you can drink a cup of tea or coffee as a treat, the same with alcohol (although this will dampen the effects) but limit this to once or twice a week if you can. When you want to drink, drink water.

2) Exercise every day - Again, so simple. Somebody once said that the best routine is a routine you can stick with. So, if you find it easier to go for a 20 minute walk that you do to go to the gym and lift heavy weights, so be it. This is really about building up the habit of daily exercise. Exercise before breakfast, after waking up is the most effective for fat loss and metabolic boosting; it also sets you up very well for a good day. Go for a walk on your lunch break or do a few push-ups and sit-ups before dinner if you struggle to fit it in to begin with.

3) Eat 'healthy' - You need to eat a good balance of protein, healthy fats, vegetables, fruits and carbohydrates. Lots of people have mixed feelings about the latter. As long as you are eating healthy portions of food in one sitting (ie. not eating to the point of being full but eating until you are not hungry) then the types of carbs shouldn't be too much of an issue. Beating addictions to junk food is critical too. Of course its okay to eat a chocolate bar or a cake if it is somebody's birthday or you fancy a treat. This stuff becomes an issue only if it happens every day without exercise or happens in 'binge' amounts. Another point to make is, if for some reason you cannot exercise one day then simply reduce your calories for the day...you need to be flexible in your approach to eating a 'healthy' amount of food. Try having 5-6 smaller meals a day instead of the convention 3 (breakfast, lunch and dinner).

I have been following this simple advice for 3 weeks now and am already seeing and feeling the benefits (I recently put some weight on beforehand), its good to be back on the way to great health and fitness. This is very much advice for the average Joe (ie: not a bodybuilder or an athlete), a good way to build some momentum and get back on track...if you have recently fallen off. Hope this is useful.

George

sounds great and i agree completely! Keep up the good work, I think i'll use some of these tips myself. Especially trying to fit exercise in before breakfast.

Barry K

Coaching Member
Nice one George. I've been into the health buzz for some time now too and it seems weird if I don't exercise. Changing habits is great and noticing the benefits in other areas in my life too!