The Fear of Getting Old

bright_light

Getting old is something inevitable. It will certainly come. How do you see yourself, say 30 to 40 years from now? Do you feel some fear within when you think about it?

Cecil Estrera

I know very well that all of us would resort to getting old. And I can say that I am already expecting it. Now, I can few signs of aging in my skin. What I do is just choose healthier alternatives when it comes to food 'cause they say that right foods can make us look younger. Staying happy is effective as well.

AmazingP

Advisor Member
This is something we could never stop. Getting old --just like death -- is something a lot of us do fear. And there are millions of people who will do anything possible to avert the signs of aging. For them, since nobody can't stop the flow of time, then at least managing visible signs of aging would be something to work on.

Personally, when I still a teenager, I don't want to get old. But today, I already accepted this reality. On getting old, I think most of us would be concerned with the fact that our bodies have higher tendency to contract different illnesses. This is what I fear.

LadyJane

The aging process, itself, doesn't bother me. Sure, I'm not thrilled about physical ailments that make day-to-day life someone uncomfortable. But the idea of "being old" doesn't upset me. I am blessed with everything most people try their whole lives to get: a loving spouse and a terrific family.

My beautiful mother-in-law is 92. She just recently became old, since her mind has finally deteriorated. When I met her, she was a spring chicken of 70, and could do whatever it was she wanted to do (cook, garden, care for her grandchildren, throw parties, etc.); and she was just as mentally sharp as anyone. It's only now that I really view her as old. She doesn't always remember me at first. It's hard to accept. And that's the part of being old that I dread.

iebo

My only concern about getting old is that I would be a burden to the family. I try to eat right and exercise so hopefully this won't happen. We also have a history of Alzheimer's in my family and I really dont want that.
There have been articles about how scientists think they can get life expectency up to 500 years, but I wouldn't want that, because retirement would probably be 475.

K

Kara

I used to feel some fear when I thought about getting older because I was afraid I was wasting my life; but now that I have begun to follow my true calling, I have a sense of peace about getting old. I quit a really good corporate job back in 2008 because the work wasn't meaningful to me anymore. My husband and I then started Champions of Powerful Living, a company focused on helping people with their self-improvement, and now I feel like my work is aligned with my life purpose. When you feel like you're living your life the way it was meant to be lived (not necessarily the way others believe you should be living it), then life begins to shine more brightly for you...and it no longer matters if you're young or old.

Last edited by a moderator:

MoreSuccess

Senior Advisor
Staff member
Like LadyJane, I don't mind the age, just what happens physically. It's frustrating to have your body kind of fall apart but you have to remind yourself that so many people often have it worse. I know some people like my father that are still going strong at 80+ so hope I'm like that as well. I'm not afraid to die either but I just don't want to end up in a lot of pain or someone changing my diapers lol. I tend to not think about it or fear it, as it serves no purpose to worry, although I do try to take care of myself to extend life as much as possible.

zararina

Coaching Member
I could say that I do not fear seeing the number of my age increasing but I somewhat fear the illnesses caused by old age. It is for sure not easy to suffer pain from arthritis and it is sad to be very forgetful specially not recognizing your loved ones anymore. But it was unstoppable and we all will be dealing with it. I am just trying my best to have a healthy life style to have a healthy condition as long as I could.

radascars

Advisor Member
I don't mind if I age as long as I live happy and no regrets in my past I think its fine with me, seeing my self in my 30's and 40's I would rather dream of getting a happy life and satisfied my self from what I have and what I achieved. I don't really care if I age, I just fear for my future if ever I will attain my goals in life.

A

artistry

My thought is that in order to not have an abnormal fear of getting older, one should try to stay as healthy, physically and mentally as possible. Life is to be lived, stay involved as much as you can, in things that you enjoy. Because your bones lose their density as we age, its very important that you exercise, remember to perform stress execises to build your bones. Walk, to help circulation, your heart and mobility. In this world there are so many things to learn, it helps to keep your brain stimulated. Also to grow as a person.
To build brain cells, change the way you ordinarily do things, if you brush your teeth with your right hand, start brushing with your left hand. Before you get out of bed in the morning, hang your head over the side of the bed and allow the blood to flow into your brain, without falling out of bed.
Mainly, stay involved, you won't have time to worry about getting older, have goals and stay as positive as you can.
Before you know it you will be 100 years old, still setting goals. Wondering how you got there. Cheers.

clauemi

I think I do have fear of getting older because at my age I have not done many things that other people my age have done already. I kind of got stared late in life and I wish it had been different so now I sometimes think of all the things I have missed out on and how me being older just means less time to do those things.

radascars

Advisor Member
I think I do have fear of getting older because at my age I have not done many things that other people my age have done already. I kind of got stared late in life and I wish it had been different so now I sometimes think of all the things I have missed out on and how me being older just means less time to do those things.
I do have that kind of mentality as well but I don't see it as a fear or anxiety yet I tend to see them as an inspiration for me to achieve the same thing regardless of what age I achieved it. I also am a bit of envious whenever I see my age group achieved more than what I attained already but I think its normal. :)

fancyfingers

I do not fear getting old, I do have a bit more sadness about some things. When my mom passed away two years ago, I felt, and still do, such a great loss that I cannot find the words to express. My sorrow about growing old/dieing comes from knowing I will cause my children this pain of loss when I die.

hatteubanal

I don't fear physical aging. I couldn't care less about how I look right now, much less when I grow old. What I fear is aging without accomplishing anything worthwhile. I have high aspirations but a lot of factors are hindering me from achieving my goals. I always feel like I'm running out of time. I can't see where I will be 30 or 40 years from now as I still feel a lot of uncertainties in my life and about my future. :(

KingManta

I don't think people are generally scared of becoming old.
I think people are scared of becoming old without accomplishing what they want to do in their life.
Set goals while you're young and work your butt off to achieve them. When you're old you can look back and be proud about what you've done.

yurithebest1

I totally have no fear of getting older because it's very natural, i think that every year that has gone is a very great experience that can be added in my mind, so as i am getting older i'm learning many things either from the things that i did right or from the things that i didn't do right.

Mark

When I was younger I did worry about getting old. Now that I am in my 40's I try to enjoy each day. I also try to take better care of myself by eating right and excising. As to how I see myself in 30 to 40 years I believe that I will still be a healthy happy person that is still contributing to society.

scrollworm

I'm more afraid of getting old alone, cold and unaccomplished. If I have someone with me, I can grow old happily. I won't mind the wrinkles because they are the proof of how long I have stayed on living and how long I have struggled to get through the life. I won't also mind the age-related illness, it's normal and it's a challenge I'll have to go through before I can get to the other side. Imagine having no one to tell you "You're still beautiful despite those lines and wrinkles". Or imagine going through the disease alone. Scary, right?