The Dirty Dozen Produce

MoreSuccess

Senior Advisor
Staff member
Check out this article about the Dirty Dozen Produce. It's nice to buy organic versions but it's significantly more expensive. I'd think the level of risk is probably fairly low for most people's normal eating habits and exposure. Perhaps more of a concern for young children and pregnant women to stay with the organic choices. Still this makes me think twice when buying an apple now, being at the top of this list. Also, these foods are otherwise healthy choices so may be nearly just as bad if someone avoided them altogether.

I don't mind eating dirty produce. I usually wash my fruit and veg but not always. A few germs are good for keeping the immune system healthy and active. I eat mostly berries, grapes, carrots and peppers.

AmazingP

Advisor Member
Nothing beats naturally grown and produced foods for our palettes. Sadly, this might so hard to accomplish because of the intensive farming techniques implemented all over the country. As farms are fighting for their own financial survival, they are more concern on producing more regardless if they are using more and more chemicals. Eating organically farmed food products is the right choice but just be sure that you are not being hoodwinked into thinking you choose the right ones -- the only big disadvantage is that organic foods cost more than their counterparts.

moneymakingmom

Coaching Member
I'm very concerned over food quality. It's not just dirt but also pesticides and bacteria that can affect our food supply. Awhile back, there was an outbreak of food poisoning from cut lettuce (bagged salad variety) cause the lettuce farm was located downstream from a pig farm that had been illegally dumping their waste products into the ground and water supply. Really, you never know how clean or dirty your food is. Just cause food looks clean doesn't mean it is.