The difference between being spiritual and religious

Thea Luxton

I have spiritual beliefs and also religious beliefs, but they are separate. Some people maybe spiritual and not religious at all and those who are religious have few actual spiritual beliefs.

How can that be, when people perceive them as the same? My friends who go to church religiously, don't have spiritual beliefs except what they are told to believe. They pray, but do they truly have faith and believe or do it because they think they ought to?

My spiritual friends have faith, but don't have a religion. They may carry some symbols from them, but spirituality doesn't have to be religious even with the religion 'Spiritualism', I agree with some principles, but would not consider myself a Spiritualist.

Aree Wongwanlee

Advisor Member
I am both spiritual and religion. The reason being that being spiritual is part of my religion. There are many aspects to my religion. It covers all aspects of life and living. And being spiritual is one of the aspects of being a human being.

Dileep Tiwari

Spirituality is a realization of self. It leads one to oneself. It is very much personal and the benefit of it is seen in the personality of a seeker. For being spiritual you do not want to be religious. Religious beliefs involves some set of do's and don't to follow along with spiritual practices.

Aree Wongwanlee

Advisor Member
Depends on what the religion entails. If all the religion does is set forth a table of dos and donts, then that religion will not lead anyone anywhere near to discovering himself, If the religion encompasses every aspect of a person's life, including, but not limited to, physical, emotional and spiritual aspects, then the religion has the means by which a person can discover himself.

Lacrista34

Life itself is a table of do's and don'ts. I do not mind having guidelines. Your higher being also has a table of do's and don'ts. We can ignore or acknowledge. Personally I don't mind. Our religion is nothing more than how we visit the sick or administer to the needy...etc. We see a lot of this around Thanksgiving and Christmas time.

To be spiritual is indeed acknowledging our oneness with our higher being. Being in constant awareness of my higher being and my dependence upon him keeps me in a spiritual realm where communication is open and I am aware of who I am and my place in this universe. This is a place where hope lies.

J E Roberson

Senior Advisor
Great topic Thea, I think you did a great job of clarifying the difference.

In my search to end my deep pain and suffering I have out grown both paradigms because they didn't end my search for truth. Truth is all that matters now in my life and the Truth doesn't separate humans, truth also transcends the "we are one" committees… which was where I dwelled before I found truth.

pafjlh

For me spirituality is believing in a higher power at work. For example I do believe strongly in god. As for being religious, well when you follow a certain religion you follow the rules that govern that religion. To be honest over the years I have found the some of the rules that governed organized religion weren't for me. I guess I feel that one religion telling me what is right and what is wrong just isn't for me. I know the scriptures, I know God's teachings, I also know the power of prayer, and for me I believe that this is enough for me at least at this time.

Joyce W

Being spiritual means that you believe in a higher power whether it be God or the Universe or something else. Being religious means you follow a specific religion (such as Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, etc) and all of its rules and beliefs. You don't have to be religious to be spiritual. I would consider myself as being raised religious because I grew up Catholic: being baptized, attending mass, being confirmed and basically following the rules of that religion. I would consider myself as just being spiritual now though because, whereas I do believe in God or the Universe, I don't believe in all of the "rules" the Catholic religion says you have to follow. Spiritual people are usually more open to other ideas and beliefs of other religions and ways of thinking/living.

J

James Brown

Spirituality is expressed in different ways like a religion, morality or an awareness of a connection with a higher, supreme power. The concept of spirituality differs from person to person; however, most experts agree that it involves a search for the reason and significance of human existence.

When some one is spiritual they can believe that something is at work beyond the normal factors of science and the physical nature of the universe. That they are not just made up of atoms and a clockwork program encompassing the idea by science. It can also mean a way of living, an type of improvement toward contentment within yourself. It can also mean the idea that there is something out there that influences your life that you can not sense, something beyond physical nature that can influence you in someway. Religion is for lack of a better word, a set of ways to find a relationship with you and nature, to improve yourself to find something out there that governs your own well being. Many forms of this take on the idea of a higher power that you can tap into to help you improve yourself in someway. This higher power is usually not explained in physical terms, but something beyond it. Ever since man became a conscious being, understanding he knows he exists, he has felt special beyond any other life forms on the planet. We seek out some reason why we are special in this way... so, science only allows us to see the factual idea of life and death, we tend to go beyond that for explanations. We seek out something beyond are own understanding, beyond just natural events we see. Gods and goddesses become natural events or part of are own human nature to explain why we behave the way we do, but in most cases we have to get their attention to help them or hinder us for some reason. It becomes a way of defining us and nature and how we all fit into it. But in religion we obey certain rituals that need to be adhered to or performed for are own wellbeing. What we decide is the best way to go about finding a religion is up to us. It all comes down to are wellbeing. Since we are born, begin to die and eventually can not function (death,) we have found that the idea of afterlife... life beyond life and death as we know it is attractive. It is something we can not control. To obtain this we seek out religions we must follow that guide us beyond the physical world. So, spirituality can be a general way of improving your life. It can even be an undertaking of many different religious ideas all rolled into one. Religion, though, usually has a structured way of going about helping us in some way. This is more or phylisophical way of explaining it, not getting into the different ways religion goes about it, though

J

James Brown

Before we explore the difference between religion and spirituality, we must first define the two terms. Religion can be defined as “belief in God or gods to be worshipped, usually expressed in conduct and ritual” or “any specific system of belief, worship, etc., often involving a code of ethics.” Spirituality can be defined as “the quality or fact of being spiritual, non-physical” or “predominantly spiritual character as shown in thought, life, etc.; spiritual tendency or tone.” To put it briefly, religion is a set of beliefs and rituals that claim to get a person in a right relationship with God, and spirituality is a focus on spiritual things and the spiritual world instead of physical/earthly things. know more about the [link removed, violation of terms] here.

[link removed]

Last edited by a moderator:

Ricky O' Shea

I'm a spiritualist through and through.. With that being said, I'm a scientific spiritualist, I believe in a higher consciousness so god for me is within and not an entity that can be drawn or worded on paper. For me, the difference is that spirituality is a feeling of oneness and self realization whereas religion usually entails following a set of principles. But I think whatever your beliefs, it's how well those beliefs serve you that really matters. Neither is right or wrong they just serve us differently.

Dan_Bukowski

Advisor Member
Being spiritual is having an awareness and understanding of all that is around up and maybe even more importantly what is inside ourselves.

In my experience, spirituality is the understanding of the Truth with or without any beliefs, per se. It is the realization of the reality and who you are, once you undo all the BS that you have learned. It's seeing how is behind the thoughts, underneath the masks.