The Biggest Problems In The Self-Help Community

I'm looking to start a discussion on what the biggest problems are within the self-improvement (self-help) community.

For me, two of the biggest problems are reliance on the esoteric (e.g. the Law of Attraction or a Benevolent Universe) and overuse of anecdotal evidence.

Maybe because I've been so focused on science for most of my life I'm not as sensitive to the position of there being more to life than cause and effect independent of intelligent or semi-intelligent design, but I'm not so naive in my beliefs that I don't think there could be more out there. Something esoteric or spiritual in nature. However, I think self-help gurus, authors and coaches to easily fall back on ideas such as the Law of Attraction because it lends itself to a pretty easy cop-out and when you fail, it's not the fault of the coach. Rather, you just didn't believe hard enough. I've witnessed much the same thing from many religious institutions - though I would not necessarily say that this is endemic of religion.

Moving on from my first and into my second point, reliance on anecdotal evidence fails to provide individuals with something which is practicable to their situation. What works for me might not necessarily work for others. On the other hand, though a scientific study might not necessarily be a catch-all for everyone, it is far more likely to have practical advice that could be more readily practical to others. If so, why is this something which is not used with at least the same frequency as anecdotal evidence?

Anyway, enough of my ramblings. I'm curious to know what you think could be some of the biggest problems within the self-help community. I'd also be curious to know if you disagree with my points above or even with any points made on any of the future comments below.

If there are significant problems within the community, then what do we do to either prevent, eliminate or mitigate them?

I agree with a lot of what you're saying here. You mentioned a pretty important point I would like to focus on. You said, " What works for me might not work for others." Personal growth, self-help or whatever people want to call it, is something that takes place from the inside out. Far too many people are looking outside of themselves for the answers.

We already have within us everything we need to get to where we want to be. It's just that we may have forgotten that. Think back to when you were a little kid. Everything was new and we were constantly wanting to know about everything. Think about all the tools that we pulled from inside to learn how to ride a bike, or a skateboard or anything else that we wanted to do but didn't know how.

Things like desire, determination, discipline, persistence, perseverance, self-confidence and the most important, the willingness to take the necessary actions to accomplish the goal. Most of us have what we need, we just need a reminder sometimes. I know that was true in my case. Something you may find helpful is the post I just completed. I'll leave that for you decide. https://ytolife.com/decide-to-change/

I think, that one of the biggest problems in self-development community is to rely on the Law of attraction. many people believe that all it takes is to just think positively and everything happens as they wish. But, the truth is the law of attraction and power of thoughts is a great way to start, and I think positivity is a really good mindset, but can´t rely on it so much.

For example, I want now new Ferrari. Is it enough to just sit and think about it? Hell no. I have to work for it.

This is, in my opinion, one of the biggest problems in Self-development community.

denydritz

Coaching Member
Hi Ben, I agree with your opinion. It seems that a large part of the self help community rely on 'shortcut' thinking that leads to errors in thinking. As long as we don't think correctly, and rely on shortcuts or 'magic recipes' such as the Law of Attraction, then I believe our success will be partial, limited, and non-repeatable.

I'm studying a course that trains how to think correctly, and I find it's the most effective 'self help' course I've ever taken. The course doesn't talk about Law of Attraction, affirmations, meditation, visualization or any of that; it talks only about correct thinking, but I find it to have the most impact in my life.

The problem is that correct thinking requires us to change how we think, arguably the most difficult job in the world? That's why 'step by step' systems and 'recipes' are more popular and easy to sell because it makes you believe you simply follow a formula, even with your errors in thinking, and you can get results.