The Apple Myth

AmazingP

Advisor Member
Do you know that as far as I know there is no single Christian denomination which is free from errors dogma wise or baseless traditions which got no basis vis-a-vis the Bible? As to why these denominations are not really willing to correct their mistakes, maybe it has something to do with pride and reluctance to admit mistakes. So much for honesty and seeking for the truth.

Do you know that there are still Christians who firmly believe that the fruit in the Garden of Eden prohibited to be eaten was an apple tree? And where did they get that? I am sure from the Bible...nah...go over the whole book of Genesis and the word apple can never be found.

How come Christians who are supposed to be seekers of truth and honesty are not willing to correct their preconceived and assumed ideas?

Can I have my apple juice, please?

zararina

Coaching Member
It was really a misunderstanding for some since there are those who uses the apple as the representation of the forbidden fruit. I think this comes from those first ones who says/draw/paint or whatever medium they had used that it was apple.

Cecil Estrera

I got some interesting facts from Wikipedia, which may answer all our questions about this forbidden fruit and why the apple becomes the symbol of it.
Here's an excerpt:

In Western Europe, the fruit was often depicted as an apple, possibly because ofa misunderstanding of, or perception of intentional dual meaning in, the Latin malum, a noun that can mean evil (from the adjective malus), but also apple. In the Vulgate, Genesis 2:17 describes the tree as de ligno autem scientiae boni et mali: "but of the tree (lit. wood) of knowledge of good and evil" (mali here is the genitive of malum). The larynx in the humanthroat, noticeably more prominent in males, was consequently called an Adam's apple, from a notion that it was caused by the forbidden fruit sticking in Adam's throat as he swallowed.
Some Slavonic texts state that the "forbidden fruit" was actually the grape, that was later changed in its nature and made into something good, much as the serpent was changed by losing its legs and speech. The Zohar (the text of Jewish Kabbalah) also claims the fruit was a grape.
Other Christians sometimes assert that the "forbidden fruit" was the fig, from the account of their using leaves of this tree to cover themselves (also the fig tree is the only fruit tree explicitly mentioned in the Genesis 3 context). Since the fig is a long-standing symbol of female sexuality, it enjoyed a run as a favorite understudy to the apple as the forbidden fruit during the Italian Renaissance. The most famous depiction of the fig as the forbidden fruit was painted by Michelangelo Buonarroti in his masterpiece fresco on the Sistine Chapel ceiling.
Because the tomato, a fruit, is in some Slavic languages called "rajčica" or "paradajz", (both words are related to paradise - "raj" means "paradise"), there are also many of the opinion that it is the forbidden fruit of Genesis. Before the seventeenth century, tomatoes were regarded as poisonous in many European countries, lending credence to the rumors of its forbidden past.
Some Rabbinic traditions regard the forbidden fruit as wheat : wheat is "khitah" in Hebrew and thus is a pun on khet, "sin".Still, many believe the quince, which pre-dates the apple and is native to Southwest Asia, was the forbidden fruit.
Other potential forbidden fruits of the Garden of Eden include the pomegranate, the carob,the etrog or citron, the pear, and, more recently, the datura.
A fresco in the 13th-century Plaincourault Abbey in France depicts Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden, flanking a Tree of Knowledge that has the appearance of a gigantic Amanita muscaria, a poisonous and psychoactive mushroom.
Lastly, some Christians who are Biblical literalists believe that the forbidden fruit was not a known species at all, but a plant that now is extinct.
So maybe this is the reason :)

DeeNeely

If god is omniscient and omnipotent then the Garden of Eden situation was a setup. Humans couldn't win.

AmazingP

Advisor Member
If god is omniscient and omnipotent then the Garden of Eden situation was a setup. Humans couldn't win.
They could win if they had chosen to obey and resisted the temptation. Remember that humans from the very beginning were given the free will to choose. It is never the intention of the Creator to create humans who are acting like robots and who could not decide for themselves what to do and where to go. The choices are all symbolized by the two trees. Jumping to the time of Jesus Christ, he had to resist the temptation in order to fulfill what Adam and Eve failed to do. Everything here is interconnected. That is if we allow the real meaning of the whole Bible story really come out and not let pagan stories and precepts get in the way.

AmazingP

Advisor Member
I got some interesting facts from Wikipedia, which may answer all our questions about this forbidden fruit and why the apple becomes the symbol of it.
Here's an excerpt:

In Western Europe, the fruit was often depicted as an apple, possibly because ofa misunderstanding of, or perception of intentional dual meaning in, the Latin malum, a noun that can mean evil (from the adjective malus), but also apple. In the Vulgate, Genesis 2:17 describes the tree as de ligno autem scientiae boni et mali: "but of the tree (lit. wood) of knowledge of good and evil" (mali here is the genitive of malum). The larynx in the humanthroat, noticeably more prominent in males, was consequently called an Adam's apple, from a notion that it was caused by the forbidden fruit sticking in Adam's throat as he swallowed.
Some Slavonic texts state that the "forbidden fruit" was actually the grape, that was later changed in its nature and made into something good, much as the serpent was changed by losing its legs and speech. The Zohar (the text of Jewish Kabbalah) also claims the fruit was a grape.
Other Christians sometimes assert that the "forbidden fruit" was the fig, from the account of their using leaves of this tree to cover themselves (also the fig tree is the only fruit tree explicitly mentioned in the Genesis 3 context). Since the fig is a long-standing symbol of female sexuality, it enjoyed a run as a favorite understudy to the apple as the forbidden fruit during the Italian Renaissance. The most famous depiction of the fig as the forbidden fruit was painted by Michelangelo Buonarroti in his masterpiece fresco on the Sistine Chapel ceiling.
Because the tomato, a fruit, is in some Slavic languages called "rajčica" or "paradajz", (both words are related to paradise - "raj" means "paradise"), there are also many of the opinion that it is the forbidden fruit of Genesis. Before the seventeenth century, tomatoes were regarded as poisonous in many European countries, lending credence to the rumors of its forbidden past.
Some Rabbinic traditions regard the forbidden fruit as wheat : wheat is "khitah" in Hebrew and thus is a pun on khet, "sin".Still, many believe the quince, which pre-dates the apple and is native to Southwest Asia, was the forbidden fruit.
Other potential forbidden fruits of the Garden of Eden include the pomegranate, the carob,the etrog or citron, the pear, and, more recently, the datura.
A fresco in the 13th-century Plaincourault Abbey in France depicts Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden, flanking a Tree of Knowledge that has the appearance of a gigantic Amanita muscaria, a poisonous and psychoactive mushroom.
Lastly, some Christians who are Biblical literalists believe that the forbidden fruit was not a known species at all, but a plant that now is extinct.
So maybe this is the reason :)
I actually know this piece from Wikipedia because I view this before I made a post here. Because it is so technical, I just made a simpler post.

iebo

The Bible's been changed many times throughout history. Apparantly God can't make up his mind. Or maybe its just people making stuff up.

Cecil Estrera

I actually know this piece from Wikipedia because I view this before I made a post here. Because it is so technical, I just made a simpler post.
LOL, I didn't know that we researched on the same site. Wikipedia always provides us the answers, right?

Empangop

That apple story is only a fable told before bedtime. It's really silly to believe that an apple that stucked on the throat could transform into a vocal cord. I think God had created perfect humans with respective features. He created a male with a distinct vocal cord while a woman less distinct and only produces a squeaky sound. Though the Bible is the book that contains truths, it is never to be taken for granted that it's telling us that an apple could transform into a vocal cord. I guess, the stucked apple on Adam's throat had passed through down to his stomach but the passing apple had damaged and modified his vocal cord to produce the real make sound hehehehehe...............