Telling people to do what they love is empty advice...

Ok, this is something I think is a bit confrontational to say. But when everyone says
'Do what you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life'
I disagree.
We can't ALL do what we love, so you're kind of saying let me do what I want and someone else can do the boring stuff.

What I think is we should all try to be more open in finding the joy in whatever we do. Mostly by being interested.I have had some very strange jobs, definitely not my dream jobs, but I found aspects to them I enjoyed.

For example, I was a grain analyser. I literally looked at grain in 40 degree heat and tested it and judged it to find out it's grade. In this heat we wore long trousers, long very hi vis shirts, steel work boots and hot hats. It wasn't glamourous. But. I worked with some really funny women, that was my first joy. A bit obvious but there you go. I also now know lots about different kinds wheat which has made me more interested in what I eat. I know I can put my hand in a bucket of canola (rapeseed) and guess the temperature and oil content pretty well. Just because I was doing it every day and it was like a competition with myself.
Whilst it was really really hot it meant the sunsets and rises were insane, that there was animals just basking in the sun I never thought I'd see. You get the idea.
And that was just one of the random jobs I have had. I loved it so much I went back for another season, and I'd go again except I don't have an Australian visa now :(
Just enjoying the little things at that job all added up to now me finding agriculture super interesting! And really loving that job!

In the same way doing what you love for a job might take your joy out of it. How many chefs do you know that end up eating junk food at home despite their passion being cooking?

So I am saying still aim to do what you think you'll love, cos we all need a plan... but on the way there look for happiness where you are, don't be competing with Instagram Models etc because I can promise you their lives aren't what they look like on Insta.​

Enjoy every aspect of your life. Be interested and give whatever you have to do a chance cos it might end up that you will after all be doing what you love.
:p
xxxxx​

Hi there!

After reading your post, my conclusion is I do not entirely agree with that quote either. 'Work' in what we do for an income will always be present. Now, saying we can't all do what we love because someone else will have the boring stuff.. my friend, that's really just life working itself out. There's a VERY large percentage of people in the world who simply aren't interested in putting lots of energy into something bigger or better or 'enhanced' because they don't have strong desires for themselves.

We do not look for happiness, it is simply a choice. We must focus on the positive in our lives and always, always, always be GRATEFUL for our blessings, both big and small.

I work a pizza delivery job and I can't say I hate it at all. It has its stressful days, for sure, but I definitely don't hate it. It's local, it's extremely personable and it allows me to walk away each evening with money in my pocket. Customers are also very happy to hear my knock on the door.

I do believe the reason why that quote is even 'a thing' is because we as human beings perform 10x better at anything we do if we LOVE doing it. The possibilities are endless when it comes to the RESULT of doing something we LOVE to do because we will be glad to give it our undivided time, energy and attention.

If you enjoyed reading my comment, I would GREATLY appreciate your incite upon my website!

http://riseaboveitglobal.net/

I enjoyed reading your perspective. Thanks for sharing!

actionmf

'Do what you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life'

Cuz it won't FEEL like work. That's what the quote means (y)