Streamlining my free day

Hapiel

Hi guys,

Today I had an interesting realisation: My day off (Sunday) is the most boring and the hardest day of the week.

I have a very very intensive week program, I train at my circus school twelve hours per day. This is intensive, but I never have to think so much what I have to do. I always have people around me motivating me, or if I relax for an hour a class will come up soon which I have to attend and which will get me active again.

However, my free day is not as easy. I sleep in, which is nice, but I don't find energy or motivation to do some chores: Shopping, laundry, cleaning the house etc, nor I plan activities.
I end up spending the whole day in my pyjamas hanging in front of the laptop doing nothing, wishing that my day was more interesting and the chores were started and finished more easily.

How come that the one day that I actually am free to use as I want is also the hardest day of the week?
How do I make sure the little things that need to be done actually happen, and that I then afterwards will go out of the house and do something relaxing and fun?

MoreSuccess

Senior Advisor
Staff member
Perhaps make a decision as to how much time you'll give yourself for doing nothing on Sunday, e.g. several hours or until a certain time. I think some amount of down time like that each week is important, you should look at it as something you deserve with all the hard work you do. I really value my Sunday's for that reason.

C

ClareO

Hey Hapiel,
It sounds like you have a pretty full on week! I think you definitely deserve to have some chill out and do nothing time, but it might be a good idea to break down the things that you want to get done into small manageable tasks, and start small by trying to get just one thing done this Sunday, say- doing one load of laundry. Then you can build up from there :)

Clare
[Link removed by admin per terms and rules]

clairebeautiful

I'm not sure how old you are, but it sounds to me like your priorities for your free day aren't terribly pressing. Here's my thing. If you can make it through the week without getting these things done on Sunday, then who cares? Just be lazy without the guilt.

It was hard for me to go from working full time to staying home (with kids) full time for similar reasons. Hard to figure out what to do with my day. I have TONS of things I need to do, but often, with little kids, it seems like the day goes by and nothing gets done. It is disheartening to try to measure success and find that there are no checkmarks of completion, you know?

For me it was about breaking the day into time chunks. My kids are my priority, obviously, and much of my day must be centered around when I can be alone to accomplish things (like when they are at school or taking naps). Also, I find that revolving the day around scheduled mealtimes also helps. Knowing that these times are so precious helps me prioritize my chores to fit in those windows. So anyway, I look at my day in about 3 hours chunks, and say, "What do I want/need to accomplish before noon?" And then, "Okay, what do I want/need to accomplish before 3?" And then, "...before dinner?" and finally "....before bed."

For me, this breaks the day up, shows me what I've accomplished, and often gives me a sense of when I can slack off. Maybe my goals for before noon end up getting done and I accomplish one or two things more, so my 3 o'clock window is wide open to do nothing.

I've also learned to let go, though, and not to feel guilty about days where nothing gets done.

Hilmi Hamdan

Wow, I'm impressed with how passionate you are with what you do.

Procrastination and lack of motivation is due to not being able to see what you are about to do in terms of the values that you hold important to yourself. If you can align what you want to do with the values you hold important to you, you will have no need for external motivation.

Here, just see what you enjoy so much about your regular weekdays and align your chores to that tune.
For instance for shopping, try to look for something that will either make you extra excited to get to Monday or something you can associate with your dream. You'll start to enjoy shopping when you connect it to your dream. For chores like cleaning the house and laundry, promise yourself a small reward, and an end-of-month reward. The end-of month reward is something bigger for when you successfully do laundry the whole month. Rewards should not be expensive, but they do need to be enjoyable. I sometimes reward myself with some time to read a book. Video games are also a good reward. A nice warm soak in a scented bath is also nice. My wife does that after finishing her weekend chores and she sometimes buys new scents when she goes out shopping. The positive feelings of accomplishment that accompany rewards make them that much nicer. An end-of-month reward would be something like treating friends out to dinner or going go-karting, etc. Remember to always take your rewards seriously. Failing to fulfill a reward promised to yourself can possibly sap your energy and motivation, not to mention unbalance your emotions.

Also never forget the power of acknowledging yourself. Remember to congratulate and say thank you to yourself for getting out of pyjamas. Groom yourself a bit, and feel good about it. Wear some cologne and enjoy the scent.

It helps to keep a small journal tracking your improvement along the way and setting small goals to achieve week by week. It makes it a game to see yourself improve, you'll enjoy it and definitely feel the benefits.

Sidewinder

As with the others, I'm impressed that you're motivated enough to change your routine, to realise that you could be spending more time to do something productive. I'd say since rest of the week you've done all sorts of work, you ought to deserve some downtime to relax yourself from the hectic workflow. Everyone needs time to recharge. If you do intend to change, I'd recommend to introduce activities into your Sundays slowly, piece by piece so that you're gradually comfortable with your new routine.

pokladnicka

Hi Hapiel,

Happy to hear from you. To me it´s the same. It happens to me that I find difficulties in doing the day-to-day chores, such as cleaning my apartment, going to the supermarket, and so on.

It is for that reason that I have decided to change my view about it and now I try to unify my life to make my professional life and my personal life a one-piece life. An only a unique thing.

So, when I have to go to the groceries, I am thinking almost literally how the way I am going to do the shopping change my personal vision of my personal work, that is, personal development.

When I clean my house or at least I try to, I am constantly thinking about how can I exteriorize after it the feeling and positive and empowered emotions I have been feeling while doing so.

Anyway I think that as Isaac Newton said when they asked him how did he discovered his main work: «by thinking it constantly». That´s very me.

Best regards,

pipps

I think you're doing great and I think you deserve a day off from the sound of things! If I was you I would plan out what you could do on Sunday. For example, I would get chores done after a lovely and relaxing breakfast. Then I would make sure I had lots of time to chill out and do nothing. Then I would make a lovely dinner and take a bath and plan out a movie night with lots of treats:)

Take the time to take care of yourself